What kind of card can I get to replace my 9800 pro?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr G

Jul 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Leyawiin
Might want to consider an X800 XL. I had one when WoW first came out and it ran it fine on an Athlon XP 2500+ rig. It recommends a 300W PS, but doesn't require an additional power cables - AGP slot only. And again, Dell is pretty well known for understating their power supplies. The card was strong enough it ran Oblivion quite well at 1024x768.

X800 XL AGP

well is http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814102781 better than the X800?

also I need a 4 pin card.

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
The X800 XL is quite a bit stronger - the only thing the X1650 Pro has over it is SM 3.0 support, which isn't a big deal for the games you play. Oblivion uses it for HDR, but I always used Bloom since it gave better frame rates and I could use a little AA.

Tom's Hardware Chart for Oblivion

Have to shop around to find them on that chart but an X800 XL was twice as fast as a 1650 Pro (think these were PCI-E models, but it gives you an idea).

Dr G

Jul 8, 2008
Originally posted by: Leyawiin
The X800 XL is quite a bit stronger - the only thing the X1650 Pro has over it is SM 3.0 support, which isn't a big deal for the games you play. Oblivion uses it for HDR, but I always used Bloom since it gave better frame rates and I could use a little AA.

Tom's Hardware Chart for Oblivion

Have to shop around to find them on that chart but an X800 XL was twice as fast as a 1650 Pro (think these were PCI-E models, but it gives you an idea).

Can my system handle it. Also I've had about 6 really bad experences with e-bay so as of now because I've lost so much money off of it I've kinda sworn it off.

Do any stores carry this because Newegg doesnt carry it and now I tend to only trust online stores and not ebay sellers.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Dr G
Can my system handle it. Also I've had about 6 really bad experences with e-bay so as of now because I've lost so much money off of it I've kinda sworn it off.

Do any stores carry this because Newegg doesnt carry it and now I tend to only trust online stores and not ebay sellers.

Yeah, I'm the same way. Tigerdirect has an X800GTO for $50, and newegg has a 512MB AGP 2600XT (which is alot faster) for $73. Both require slightly more power than an X800XL, though. Of course, both are faster than the X800XL.

Dr G

Jul 8, 2008
Originally posted by: myocardia

Yeah, I'm the same way. Tigerdirect has an X800GTO for $50, and newegg has a 512MB AGP 2600XT (which is alot faster) for $73. Both require slightly more power than an X800XL, though. Of course, both are faster than the X800XL.

I'm just worried about my PSU. As other people have stated that the dell psu's are understated but still it worries me.

SO what you are saying is that 2600XT > X800 > X1650 How good is newegg at returns. If lets say I got a 2600xt and my psu couldnt handle it. Can I get my money back?

Dr G

Jul 8, 2008
Originally posted by: myocardia

I just checked tiger direct and only found this http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...ku=D15-9118&srkey=X800 and the reviews seem sucky.