What keyboard setup do you use for FPS gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

martensite

Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dman877
I use a regular keyboard but I use the arrow keys and the number pad and all the keys around the arrows to do extra stuff.

For example:
up arrow - forward
down arrow - move backward
right arrow - alternate fire
left arrow - crouch
right shift - jump
enter - use/reload
numpad 1 - voice chat
right control - fire

then on the mouse I use the two buttons for strafing and the wheel for weapon selection.

And i thought I had the weirdest key mapping so far. But you win now!:D

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Normal Keyboard, but I use the arrow keys for movement and the surrounding keys for the misc stuff. My hands/fingers are to big to use WASD.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
only things I habitually change is left shift for crouch instead of left cntrl and pushing down on my click wheel for last weapon used.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I have a Logitech G15, but I use the standard format for gaming. Actually, I rarely use the extra stuff on the G15 in games (sans Titan Quest), instead using it for normal use.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Daverino
WASD, but I use c to crouch, right click to jump and ctrl to alt-fire

I hate it when "C" is the default crouch. I always map it back to "ctrl" cause it's so hard to hit when using WASD.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
WASD: move
ctrl: crouch
shift: walk
space: jump

i find this works best cause my pinky can easily hit shift/ctrl and i can still move

imported_NorthStar

Jun 30, 2007
I use a WAXD configuration, because I always have a special use for the "S" key, like crouching or running.

I play with a Razer Tarantula keyboard, and this board has 10 backlit macro keys. Before playing a game, I switch to a keyboard profile where I have these keys mapped to the number keys. These lit keys are much easier to see and use than the regular number keys, and they are used for switching weapons in shooters, or spells in RPGs.

After exiting the game, I'll switch back to my "general ops" profile, where I have the keys set up to launch the apps I use.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
ESDF: forward/back/left/right
r: reload
w: prone
space: crouch
g: use
left mouse button: fire
right mouse button: jump
mouse thumb button: alt fire

Works well for me. I use a normal keyboard and a Razer DeathAdder.

jmmtn4aj

Aug 13, 2006
Normal keyboard, a Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite. I'm thinking of getting that Steel Series gaming keyboard though, because it allows you to press up to 8 keys simultaneously. Been dying too much because the squat key doesn't work when I accidentally hold more than 3 keys. I've held off current gaming keyboards because they all seem to have that 3 key limitation.