What keeps breaking my son's CDROMs?

Tired of the Bull

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
He's broke 3 in a year. The drives just starts to refuse to recognize when a CD is inserted. Could always reading scratched and smudged CDs (my son is 3) cause the drive to have a short life? It has been three diferent brands of CDROM and in two different computers that's why I'm wondering if it could be how he treats the CDs. I know the drives stay spun up a lot of the time having to try and read those CDs of his.

SonicTron

Oct 20, 2001
LOL Probably got some peanut butter and jelly on the drive laser ;)

Try a CD-ROM drive cleaning CD (buy it at WalMart :) )

Its probably a dirty laser reader.

but if its got some gooey peanut butter or jam or something (your son is 3, I wouldn't expect any less lol) then there probably isn't much you can do :(

Macro2

Diamond Member
May 20, 2000
I have a creative cdrw that will only recognize fujii blanks. I remember screwing it up one time like by getting the mouse wire caught in the side of the drawer when it pulled in. I think maybe I moved it out of calibration. CloneCd has a "calibrate" option but I dunno if that would help because I haven't tried it.
I just buy Fujis.

Mac

ku

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2001
you should really check that he's doing to it.it's most likely that something bad is going into the drive or you're just having really really really really bad luck with cdroms.

Tired of the Bull

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
He treats the hardware better than most adults. He shuts down properly, always uses the button to open and close the CDROM tray. The only thing I can see different is the way he handles the CDs.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Maybe he secretly uses it as a cupholder when you're not looking... But it does sound like maybe a dirt laser, since the CD that get put in it tend to be dirty.

theplanb

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
How can a 3 year old know how to use CDROM? I mean.. is he a genious?
I mean, 3 year olds can talk.. but surely not use a computer!? :Q

cuteybunny

Banned
May 23, 2001
what amazes me is that kid today start to use computer as soon as they are born, hmm aren't we all wired just like the matrix? this is scary :D i doubt it your son that's the cause of dead cdrom. I have cdrom go dead on me too once in awhile due to how often you use them. they just have this expiration thing or limited to certain amount of uses because nothing just last forever, their so cheap anyway theseday getting another one to replace it shouldn't be a prob.

JoeDaddy

Banned
Jul 7, 2000

<< Does he play a lot of Diablo II? That game is a bitch on CD-ROMS if you don't manually copy the music file to your hard drive. >>

A 3 year old that plays Diablo II, what is this world coming too.

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
what brands are you buying. cheapos? cdroms don't break quite that easily, maybe 1 year atleast with ultra heavy use. cds by themselves can't break a drive, unless you swab peanut butter on the bottom and it gets on the lense. theres no contact with the disc normally. so its almost impossible to really break the drive unless you bust the door.. but he doesn't seem to be doing that.

cheap powersupply frying cdrom? i dunno.

DN

Nov 19, 2001

<< He's broke 3 in a year. The drives just starts to refuse to recognize when a CD is inserted. Could always reading scratched and smudged CDs (my son is 3) cause the drive to have a short life? It has been three diferent brands of CDROM and in two different computers that's why I'm wondering if it could be how he treats the CDs. I know the drives stay spun up a lot of the time having to try and read those CDs of his. >>

I think I have the answer, but you'll have to go watch the movie called LITTLE MONSTERS starring FRED SAVAGE to get the explanation.. :)

Thor86

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
1) Could be an old CD-rom drive that just won't read certain CD's or CD-R's.

2) Leaving CD's out in the sun light or on a heat source will deteriorate the CD's.

jmitchell

Oct 10, 2001
just a quick comment: those of you who are skeptical as to kids and computers, are probably not parents... My 2 year old is very good on my computer. His biggest problem is that he cant type my password to log in to xp, he's too jumpy and wired to memorize it... He loves need for speed, motocross madness 2, tony hawk 2, frogger, combat flight sim 2, etc... He can run the games on his own, leave the game, select different options (i.e. different motocyles/tracks in mcm2) and get back in the game, etc... Kids are geniuses... by the time he's 8 I'm thinking he'll be ready to take over my job...

theplanb

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Yeah, they do learn fast, don't they. I guess.. I'll look like my father when my kid look at me and have to ask him dumb questions and all. sigh..

Whitedog

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
It WOULDN'T be your 3 year old Son that is breaking them now would it!?! Noooo.. That couldn't be a possibility.

Most 3 year olds have a lot of finesse and are gentle with delicate equipment like CDROMS. Even though statistics say a 3 year old boy can TEAR UP A BOWLING BALL!!!.. I wouldn?t assume that he could possible be trashing the CDROMS?

Hehehehehehe? couldn?t resist
:cool:

Whitedog

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
<< Does he play a lot of Diablo II? That game is a bitch on CD-ROMS if you don't manually copy the music file to your hard drive. >>

A 3 year old that plays Diablo II, what is this world coming too. >>

We would be hearing about such a kid on the evening news..

Newsflash: "Kindergardener commites mass murder as he ran through his class-mates with a bastard sword"

:|