What is your most unique use of zipties?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I mostly use them to bundle PSU cables, but I've also used them on a CPU HSF and waterblock.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Originally posted by: kainthelongshot
I would go so far that zip ties are pretty close to what ducktape is almost for. The combination can be used to fix or position just about anything.

What kinds of creative ways have you used zip ties for. The conversation isn't limitied to computer hardware. Although prefereable. Pictures are most welcome.

I'm more curious on how your rigs are set up using the infamous zipties. I've even used zipties to hold the engine of my car together just long enougth to make it to a repair shop.

I currently am using them to hold my Aerostar's headlights in position, and this is not a temporary fix because the original plastic parts are broken and are too expensive to buy.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Hey Lanctot (guy on my high school robotics team), bet you can't get this around your neck :D
Result: He actually did it. Didn't choke but the skin on his neck started to turn purple, so we cut it off. :laugh:

Also, my robotics team used them to make cheap omni-wheels (wrapped them around tire-less wheels) during the competition to improve our robot's steering. Was somewhat effective.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
last one I used held a gallon milk jug full of sand to the bottom rung of a vinyl ladder to prevent the ladder from floating up in the water

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I have a bunch of them strung together holding my squirrel feeder up to my tree because I didn't want to drive screws right into the tree.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
can't really quantify my ziptie use, but plastic or metal they solve a lot of problems.

I always have them nearby.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Used one to mount a shower caddy to a towel bar, because it wouldn't stay put where it was supposed to hang, which was off of the shower head pipe.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
When someonegets out of control, you can hogtie them with zip ties. Works great.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The inventor of zip ties should get a noble prize or something.

edit: now I can't find my big bag 'o zipties :frown: