What is your most unique use of zipties?

Oct 28, 2005
I would go so far that zip ties are pretty close to what ducktape is almost for. The combination can be used to fix or position just about anything.

What kinds of creative ways have you used zip ties for. The conversation isn't limitied to computer hardware. Although prefereable. Pictures are most welcome.

I'm more curious on how your rigs are set up using the infamous zipties. I've even used zipties to hold the engine of my car together just long enougth to make it to a repair shop.

acegazda

Platinum Member
May 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kainthelongshot
I would go so far that zip ties are pretty close to what ducktape is almost for. The combination can be used to fix or position just about anything.

What kinds of creative ways have you used zip ties for. The conversation isn't limitied to computer hardware. Although prefereable. Pictures are most welcome.

I'm more curious on how your rigs are set up using the infamous zipties. I've even used zipties to hold the engine of my car together just long enougth to make it to a repair shop.

duck tape adhesive would probably melt in a case that's not peltier cooled... in which case it would freeze... probably not the best either.
Usually for zip ties I'll attach them to the holes in the mobo tray or something. Maybe around the hdd rack.
I want to do this! Looks sick.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
As cable ties, and zipper locks on checked luggage when flying. TSA can cut them if necessary - I travel with spares. I haven't needed handcuffs. :)

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I used some big ones along with lots of duct tape to tie a fraternity brother of mine to the floor. Then I used it along with a net to get his roomate.

College days! Fun stuff!

Preyhunter

Golden Member
Nov 9, 1999
Wasn't me, but knew a guy that busted a shock mount on his truck and used zipties to position the shock back in place until he had the mount repaired.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Cat toys. I zip a bunch together into a ball and leave the ends on, and throw it on the ground for the cat. He loves it more than store bought toys.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
The oil filter canister in my BMW has really shoddy rubber mounts which broke off last time I was changing the oil.

4 zip ties put it right back in place :)

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I do offshore R&D engineering work and I can easily say that I could not do my job without zip ties.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
I don't have any pics available atm but I constructed a "fence" around an indoor turtle pond we have using grids (the kind used to build cubes) and wire ties. The fence keeps them from falling off the edge of the pond and on to the floor if they manage to climb out.

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
To hold my guinea pigs' cage together. One of them runs laps every night and shakes the thing apart.

woowoo

Platinum Member
Feb 17, 2003
Used them to hold the carrier bearing in place on a "Cargo" series ford truck.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
In highschool we would steal the big ones that were used to fasten the wrestling mats. Then we'd either:

1) Turn someone's bookbag inside out, put all the books back in it, zip it up, and zip tie the 2 zipper pulls together, inside the bag.
2) Zip tie the guy in front of you's belt loop to the desk's seat-back. Difficult to do unless he was sleeping.