What is your favorite resteraunt in your town that isn't a big chain?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SnottyScotty

Dec 11, 2009
snottyscottysjourney.blogspot.com
Not to be confused with Don Jose's, Colonial Height, VA (CH's coupons not good in Chester)

I've found the strangest thing about buying Mexican food in Virginia is that most of the entrees come with either beans or rice. When I lived in Texas and Seattle everything came with both rice and beans.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Depends on the food, there's a hole in the wall mexican place that's great, cheap, fast every time called El Potro.

There's a small Italian place that has good pizza and dishes.

Good Thai and a good Chinese place also very close to home.

There's a good real deal BBQ place also, looks like some run down shitty shack on the outside but has damn good bbq.

There's a nice diner that just opened a few months ago that's actually damn good and surprisingly nice on the inside compared to what I usually think of a diner as.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
La Tolteca Mexican restaurant. It's a small chain, but it's family owned, and is only in the mid Atlantic area(PA, DE, MD)

Edit:
I may have to take this back. It's my favorite restaurant of all, but they may be bigger than I thought. I'm not sure how far they extend :^/

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't go out much these days. Lately when I do it's to a little take out place with a few tables and no service. You order, get it at the counter and sit down with it. I always do takeout. They have 2-3 locations, "La Cascada," Mexican.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The closest thing we have to a "big chain" restaurant is Bennett's Fish Shack. (they have two locations)

Their food is OK, but their beer batter fish and chips are always too greasy, their panko breaded halibut is cut too thin...I usually either have their applewood bacon-cheeseburger or their prime rib dip.

Otherwise, here in this town, we usually eat at one of the bars...or Galway Bay Irish Pub and Restaurant.
We have two mexican restaurants here...both suck. We drive about 25 miles into "town" for better mexican food, pizza, or just about anything else.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
CODfather Proper Fish and Chips
North Charleston, SC

Well I order Fish and Chips.

1631175199995.png

Owned by an British chap and serves Fish and Chips just as I remember them when I was in England and Scotland.

The only difference is I'm not drunk and freezing on the docks while eating. :)

Nov 17, 2019
Greetings, guys.
This is my first time here and I am also a food addict. To date, I am a fast food person, but I am a huge fan of the barbeque part of fast food. Let's start with Spicey and Juicy. BBQ is best when Chick is well seasoned with the ingredients. Do let me know about any BBQ restaurants you guys recommend, and then I'll share my experience with you.
Perhaps BBQ'd Spam from 12 years ago?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Greetings, friends
I am going to be travelling to Texas in the coming weeks, so if anyone has any suggestions regarding places to see in TX, and also the best five-star restaurants for fast food, my speciality being BBQ, let me know. BBQ is one of my favourite foods. Interested in trying the barbecue there.

prove to us that you aren't a fucking spammer

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Greetings, guys.
This is my first time here and I am also a food addict. To date, I am a fast food person, but I am a huge fan of the barbeque part of fast food. Let's start with Spicey and Juicy. BBQ is best when Chick is well seasoned with the ingredients. Do let me know about any BBQ restaurants you guys recommend, and then I'll share my experience with you.
I used to occasionally (maybe every 3 years?) hit a local BBQ joint that was pretty great. You know, a super simple menu, ribs or beef or combo, don't think they offered chicken. Potato salad.

AFAIK it was all takeout. Smoke constantly coming from the place and the amazing smell. It's no longer there. :( I suppose I can find another fave spot, but this was a 5 minute bicycle ride. I don't live that close to another BBQ joint. Not sure I'd like to live real close to a BBQ joint. The smell might drive me nuts.

Edit: Given recent political shenanigans in Texas, I would not travel there if I could possibly help it. I also figure to boycott anything Texas.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So, despite this being a necro I wanna contribute.
Clarke went on to a country club and cooks for rich folks now. I miss him. He was cool His food was great.
Near Manassas in a tiny town called Clifton is a restaurant thats known as Trummers on Main. Absolutely fantastic food. But I havent been there since before the quarantine and have no idea whats going on with them. Even if they are still around, its possible they had a huge change in staff.
Also in Clifton was a neat little ice cream shoppe, and a crepe cafe. Both were wonderful.
When I worked in Frederick there was an outstanding restaurant called Dutch's Daughter. Again, havent visited since before lockdown.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
El Sur - Mexican
El Guero Canelo - Mexican
TTT Truckstop - Truckstop
Zayna - Mediterranean
Zemam's - Ethiopian

Tucson

Las Trankas - Mexican in Rio Rico, AZ
Update: Remove El Guero Canelo, add Taqueria Jason. Remove Las Trankas as they no longer exist. The Triple T’s quality is down so they off the list.

Add The Persian Room at the top of the list as it is the best restaurant in Tucson.

Raspados La Nina makes the list for best raspados and second best tacos.

The roach coach on the north side of Valencia Road next to Budget rent a car between Tucson and Country Club has the best tacos, knocking La Niña off the throne.

Zataar knocks Zayna off the list for middle eastern food.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't know squat about the eateries around me. I live in a fantastically culturally diverse area, heard on TV the other night that the Michelin ratings just came out and there are 52 Michelin rated restaurants in the region! I figure I know that Alice Waters' Chez Panisse has to be one of them, they're world famous. Haven't been there in 25 years.

There's a cheap Indian place near me and I got takeout from them a few months ago but it was too salty, although I'd requested them to go light on the salt. I figure they aren't set up to do that, should ask before ordering again.

The take out section at my local indy supermarket was shut down while it's being remodeled, don't know if it's up and running again. I've been making 99% of my own meals for decades. I'd like to try going out but don't know where to go. I could do internet searches, yelp, Nextdoor, who knows, but don't feel real motivated, figure my chances of not being disappointed in some aspects are not good.