What is your favorite resteraunt in your town that isn't a big chain?

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Not my favorite, but one of. Tinners Bar and Grill in Sioux Falls is really good. Food is excellent (had a steak sandwich with breaded portabella mushrooms, provolone, and a horseradish sauce for lunch yesterday) and they have about 20 beers on tap.

Place is clean, looks nice, and TVs all over the place.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
La Concha Mexican Bakery and Deli in Madison, WI

It's very close to where I live, has really good food, and is affordable. The menu is pretty limited, but what they do make is right up my alley.

They have a huge assortment of baked goodies too, for about a dollar each.

When I go there, I'm consistently one of the only people in there that requests the English version of the menu, so I take that as a good sign that it's an authentic place. Or at least indicative of what part of town I live in ;)

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have three that I really like right now:

http://www.pied-a-terre-bistro.ca/Dinner.php best duck in town IMO (everything they do is great)

http://www.twistedforkbistro.ca/index2.php great beverages and brunch

http://www.labrasserievancouver.com/ good stuff all around with decent beers and a really good burger.

Anyone in town that wants some really good drinks with some delicious snacks should go here: http://www.therefineryvancouver.com/restaurant/menus/food/ we have been there about 4 or 5 times in the past few weeks.

KT

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
CUT
Fav apps: steak tartare, pork belly, oxtail bouillon
Fav steak: American wagyu filet, bone in filet, both with bone marrow
Fav side: creamed spinach

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
There are too many to name a favorite. I really dislike chain food so 90&#37; of my eating out is done at mom & pop shops.

One place I really like and have been eating at for years and years is Scampi's Italian Eatery in Hunt Club, a small neighborhood in Central Florida. I've literally had everything on their six page menu over the years and everything is good from pizza, to strombolis, eggplant, veal, manicotti - everything is good. My favorite item is the seafood alfredo.

Another place I eat a lot and really like is Mykonos Mayeron which if you can guess is a Greek place in Longwood, Florida (just up the road from Scampi's). The food is outstanding and the wine selection is really good as well, plenty of Greek import wines as well.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Corbetts in Louisville. 5 course dining menu that changes frequently. You can even get a 9 course dinner but that takes over two hours. Won some kind of best new restaurant in the US award. Chef will even prepare you something special to pair with your wine if you bring your own and he'll cook with a little of it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
not in my town, but nearby in Redwood City:

The Refuge
http://refugesc.com/

--hands-down, the best pastrami you will ever have. The french dip is decadence. rotating belgians on tap as well.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
too hard to choose 1. most of the BBQ joints around here are really good.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Corbetts in Louisville. 5 course dining menu that changes frequently. You can even get a 9 course dinner but that takes over two hours. Won some kind of best new restaurant in the US award. Chef will even prepare you something special to pair with your wine if you bring your own and he'll cook with a little of it.

Went to Corbett's a year or so ago, very good food and service. Louisville has some really good places to eat. Have you been to Lynn's Paradise Cafe? Really strange place but the food and drinks are excellent.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Back when I lived in California - Hobee's.

http://www.hobees.com/

I would always order this:

Hobee's Breakfast Quesadilla: A tortilla filled with rice, cheese, and eggs scrambled with mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes. Topped with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa fresca. blueberry coffeecake [with extra butter] on the side. Hobee's Famous Iced Cinnamon Orange Tea to drink. /drool :)

When I lived in Alb, NM - Cinnamon Orange Rolls with lotsa butter.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Went to Corbett's a year or so ago, very good food and service. Louisville has some really good places to eat. Have you been to Lynn's Paradise Cafe? Really strange place but the food and drinks are excellent.

Believe it or not Louisville is like in the top 10 in the country for local restaurants. We're lucky. Lynns breakfast is awesome.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
in pittsburgh i loved Girasole's in shadyside - spinach & ricotta ravioli
and the Church Brew Works in east liberty - chicken pot pie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Favorite place is Logans Road House. To me its a relatively small chain. But I think the OP was really asking "not a chain at all". There is only one place in all of Manassas that I know about which isnt a chain, and thats Clarkes. And its not as good as it used to be.
This past summer I went in almost every day, now I average once every three weeks.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Gem of India, Springfield, MO. I love the lunch buffet, but I get the lamb saag when I go there for dinner. I would eat there weekly if I had the funds.

I grew up in Detroit, and my favorite restaurant in the world is the Chopstick Inn in Riverview. It's just this small, family-owned Chinese restaurant, but they have the best food ever, and it's under $10. Their egg drop soup is the best I've had. I actually don't like any other egg drop soup. It's extremely rich, thick, and creamy. Their egg rolls are about double the size of anywhere else, and they have lots of veggies, my favorite of which is the sprouts. My favorite entree is the lop chop lo mein, which is a noodle dish with egg, chicken, shrimp, and lots of veggies. The meal with a cup of soup and egg roll is about $8.50. I pay an extra $1 to upgrade to a giant bowl of soup and am usually full by the time the entree gets there. I eat just a little bit of the entree and then have it for two more full meals.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
there aren't really any restaurant-restaurants in my town, just take out places.

my favorite is the meat market down the block from my house... they make the best burgers and subs I've ever had in my entire life; their philly cheesestake puts any cheesesteak I've eaten in Philadelphia to shame.

fuck, I could go for a jersey burger right now if I didn't think it would kill me.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
http://www.frazergoodeats.com/

I've never had a bad meal there, and it's my and my wife's "spot". Was featured on... I don't remember which, but one of the FoodNetwork shows.

This sounds really good: Carpaccio
Beef tenderloin is lightly dusted with Cajun spices, blackened over a white hot skillet and shaved into paper thin slices. Chilled and ultra rare, slices are drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, garnished with capers, lemon wedge, crostini and topped with freshly grated parmesan reggiano.