What is your ethnic make up? How closely do you identify with it?

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
With my work forcing me to travel to more and more cities this year, I've spent a lot of time alone in generally public places, and while I technically come from what people would consider an "Ethnic" family, I don't truly identify with my ethnicity's stereo types, or need to socialize with people "like me". I grew up in a very Italian household and am a first generation American, but do not associate with the stereotypes, nor do I have very many friends who are Italian. Where I live, cultural identity isn't all that prevalent. However I've witnessed strong cultural identities around the US.

Don't confuse these for stereotypes, they are merely observations that I've seen while being forced to people watch over the last year with my travels.

Asians, for the most part have very strong social ties. However they appear to be more about being Asian, than being Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, etc. Similar to ASA in college.

Blacks tend to have a magnetic disposition. In public, shopping, eating, drinking, I often notice that when two black people, who aren't together and don't even know each other, and pass each other, they tend to greet each other. Be it by a nod, or a verbal greeting, it most commonly does take place.

Latin individuals have a very strong ethnocentrism and stick together, primarily with their country's own. You don't see mixing of the different countries as with the Asians.

Tell me about your Cultural Identity, if you have one. If you don't tell me what your background is, and why you don't identify with it.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
generic white bread american

my ancestors came from england, sweden, germany in the mid 1800's to the united states, so any vestage of "the old country" is long gone from our family

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I'm some white guy, more specifically some sort of European mix (Irish, Scottish, English, Sweedish, etc..) I don't identify with any ethnicity, just a mut.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
I'm half Mexican half white (european/german). I look like a white boy and sadly, not even my dad (the Mexican half) speaks Spanish. I never asked why but I guess my grandparents didn't think it was necessary.

I feel kind of ripped off. My young cousins speak it.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
:twisted: generic black guy and i want my black balded head guy avatar :twisted:

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
my dads side is spanish/ mexican, moms side is swedish/ german (pennsylvania dutch).

i dont really fit in on either side, im just me.

but i do carry a switchblade, like any self-respecting mexican does.

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
my dads side is spanish/ mexican, moms side is swedish/ german (pennsylvania dutch).

i dont really fit in on either side, im just me.

but i do carry a switchblade, like any self-respecting mexican does.

I thought that was puerto ricans?

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Mexican/Irish mix, I'm white with red beard and brown hair so I pass for white.

I think the Mexican side comes from Spanish descent but I wouldn't know since my father's father was a fucking deadbeat prick.

I don't identify with anything.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Euro mutt: English, German, Swiss, Dutch on my father sides, Yugoslavian, Czech, Hungarian on my mothers side. Add it all together and I'm an American. I don't identify with any one sliver of the heritage.

PepePeru

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2005
I wish I knew more about mine.

Its decidedly western European + some Native American thrown in for good measure.

Dec 10, 2005
1/4 white cuban (mother's side - great grandmother grew up on a plantation outside Havana in the early 1900s and came to the US; married another cuban immigrant); 3/8 Italian (mix of mother's and father's sides), the rest is an Irish/English mix from my father's side.

I identify myself as white-American, but I always feel free to check Hispanic off when given an application that says "check all that apply."

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
White bread mix. English, French, German, Czech, and others...I don't identify with any of them.

My Dad's side came over during the late 1800s, and my mom's side during the late 1600s. Way too much time to mutt-up the family lines.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
French-Canadian. Ancestor came to Québec City from Paris in the mid 1600s but I do not identify with Parisians, Definitely embrace a lot of my gallic heritage though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
generic white bread american

my ancestors came from england, sweden, germany in the mid 1800's to the united states, so any vestage of "the old country" is long gone from our family

This. My Mom is 100% Swede, my Dad is a mutt (English, Dutch, early colonial NJ roots).

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Norwegian... I tend to keep my rape and pillage to the weekends but sometimes I get a case of the Mondays and bring my axe to work with me.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
100% Indian. 1st generation immigrant and I used to identify with my ethnicity a lot more than I do now. Now I tend to prefer a mixed group of friends. I generally try to avoid groups which are 100% of a single race, and feel out of place if I'm the only Indian in a group of all white, or all black, etc. Wife is 50/50 Peruvian/Puerto Rican

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
1/2 black 1/4 greek 1/4 italian

Ethnic background doesn't mean too much in my life.