Question What is your brand new M2 Pro / M2 Max MBP battery cycle count out of the box ?

emm06

Mar 25, 2020
I have opened the box and the battery cycle count was 5. Is this normal for a brand new device?
What is your cycle count for m2pro and m2 max series before any charging out of. the box?
Thanks...

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I can't answer for other M2 machines, and I haven't bought a new Mac laptop since 2016, but 5 cycles makes sense. It needs to go through testing, imaging, and calibration before leaving the factory. The battery is rated for 1000 cycles before it loses more than 20% capacity, so that's not even 1% of its rated prime life.

Mark06

May 3, 2023
Brand new M2 Pro / M2 Max MBP laptops come with 0 battery cycle count. It shouldn't have any battery cycle count... May be test purpose your provider checked it....

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
Brand new M2 Pro / M2 Max MBP laptops come with 0 battery cycle count. It shouldn't have any battery cycle count... May be test purpose your provider checked it....
If that was actually true, it would mean the hardware had not been powered on for, what would seem to be, a requisite test that it did, indeed, function. And, if the battery cycle count was reset to zero after such a likely test, it would mean Apple was lying to you.

Neither scenario seems likely. I would think 5 power cycles would be perfectly normal for a brand new Apple product.