What is your #1 Gripe about Microsoft?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The price of their products to the average consumer is 10x higher than companies get it at. Alot of incentive for people to steal it, and then to counter it Micrsoft just makes strighter copy protection which only come down on the actual people who buy the products, people who get a cracked version wont feel a thing.

Make it cheaper, make the copy protection not bother the average consumer. Its just that easy.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
They dominate the world. At least Bill is giving some back. Someday the world will be a better place because of MS.

EmperorIQ

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
My number one gripe is the idea that install cd's come in different flavors (corp, retail, oem) and cd-keys must be mated to these. If I show up to a client's site and he has an XP Pro box with a genuine sticker on the side, and I only have a corp or retail install cd and his is OEM, I can't help him.

It' driving me nuts more and more frequently these days :| :|

i think a lot of other major software companies have this too.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Windows ME

I never thought that Windows ME was that bad. I always thought of it as "Windows 98 Service Pack 3" with the Windows 2000 interface added.

Sure, Microsoft should have released a "Windows 2000 Home Edition" instead, but they kinda made up for that with Windows XP a year later.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I love the argument that copy protection does not hurt pirates, only legal users.

Sure maybe it does not hurt the users who use cracked versions but are you guys telling me that if there were no activation, then are you telling me that 0 of the consumers would not install one copy of Windows on all of their compuiters and maybe even copy the disk to install on their friends' PCs?

This argument is kind of dumb. I wish people would stop using it.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
i'm sure activation wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for pirating

ROFL!! What color is the sky in your world? The pirated no-activation corporate edition of XP hit the net before the retail version hit the shelves. The pirates are the only ones NOT dealing with that activation garbage.

This was a mistake on Microsoft's part. There will be no version of Vista like the corporate version of Windows XP. All versions will have to be activated one way or the other.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: MX2times
I really dont have any gripe with Microsoft. I find it amusing to see people bash them and complain.

I agree, i don't understand it. I think its a matter of everyone deals with them, so there are naturally a lot of bad experiences with them.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BlameCanada
Originally posted by: MX2times
I really dont have any gripe with Microsoft. I find it amusing to see people bash them and complain.

I agree, i don't understand it. I think its a matter of everyone deals with them, so there are naturally a lot of bad experiences with them.

And to add to that, I bet there are a lot less false positives on WGA then is commonly believed. People who don't like MS will of course make up stories to make MS look bad. Same thing I believe about the defective rate with the launch Xbox 360. The net would have you believe that 50% were defective while mine and 5 others I know who bought launch units work just fine.