What is your #1 Gripe about Microsoft?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Crappy Windows security! No other operating system has nearly as many virus and spyware problems.

Office is overpriced, too.

No other OS has as many users, hence the high number of virus/spyware targeters.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
#1 gripe about Microsoft? Easy. They run their business with the goal of putting *everybody* else out of business. Microsoft makes billions off the sale of Windows. So why do they need to create the MSN dial-up service, hurting ISP's? Why do they need to attempt to put Google out of business with their MSN search? .Net instead of Java? The list could go on for miles. Bill Gates and Microsoft are set for life by the sales of Windows. Why do they need to exploit that monopoly to take over *everything* computer software & connectivity related?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: kingtas
Didn't Microsoft patch XP so it can't update the latest security holes without autenticating that it's legit, first?
No, WGA is not a requirement for downloaded critical updates.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: cubby1223
#1 gripe about Microsoft? Easy. They run their business with the goal of putting *everybody* else out of business. Microsoft makes billions off the sale of Windows. So why do they need to create the MSN dial-up service, hurting ISP's? Why do they need to attempt to put Google out of business with their MSN search? .Net instead of Java? The list could go on for miles. Bill Gates and Microsoft are set for life by the sales of Windows. Why do they need to exploit that monopoly to take over *everything* computer software & connectivity related?

its how companies work. You are in business not to just make money but to make as much money as possable. Im not saying I agree or disagree with you but its the nature of the beast. I would LOVE to be able to start a company from scratch and become the biggest thing in the world. That would be the most amazing thing ever and to keep it that way they need to innovate and break into new markets. Hence the xbox, and everythign you mentioned. Its just how businesses work.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TheoPetro

its how companies work. You are in business not to just make money but to make as much money as possable. Im not saying I agree or disagree with you but its the nature of the beast. I would LOVE to be able to start a company from scratch and become the biggest thing in the world. That would be the most amazing thing ever and to keep it that way they need to innovate and break into new markets. Hence the xbox, and everythign you mentioned. Its just how businesses work.
I'm fine with Microsoft competing against the flavors of Linux, against Sun, against IBM's OS/2 back in the day, etc. But it's when they want to put out of business companies that do not affect their sales or profits, it just gets rediculous to me.

TheoPetro

Banned
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: TheoPetro

I'm fine with Microsoft competing against the flavors of Linux, against Sun, against IBM's OS/2 back in the day, etc. But it's when they want to put out of business companies that do not affect their sales or profits, it just gets rediculous to me.

I dont know how quick I would be to lable it "put out of business" rather than "break into new markets". I guess its all in how you look at it.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
That they have yet to design an OS or suite that has a really intuative interface. Windows isn't so bad, but I really hate Office. It's hard to describe, but Office is just such a PITA to use for me.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
They're too slow, too many delays, stock performance is terrible.
I don't see them as the evil empire others do, I just think that could do a lot better. I mean, they let Google happen, Google should never have happened if MS wasn't so slow. Don't get me wrong, I like Google, but they wouldn't exist if MS management wasn't so terrible.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Crappy Windows security! No other operating system has nearly as many virus and spyware problems.

Office is overpriced, too.

Your stupidity on the situation makes your opinion suck... no other operating system has a 80-90% market share, so of course nobody would have as much malware designed for it.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I use Windows, but not Office. I don't know what the fuze is about w/ the activation. Just clone or image your C: after installation and you won't have to do reactivation ever again.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Xbox Core pack.

Office costs way too much.

Though most people complain about stupid stuff such as "how dare MS try to protect Windows from pirates. I hate MS for making my pirating of Windows harder than it used to be."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
My number one gripe is the idea that install cd's come in different flavors (corp, retail, oem) and cd-keys must be mated to these. If I show up to a client's site and he has an XP Pro box with a genuine sticker on the side, and I only have a corp or retail install cd and his is OEM, I can't help him.
It' driving me nuts more and more frequently these days :| :|
Ummm, thats so they dont lose assloads of money. Retail copies are a lot more functional and so cost more money.
If all the keys could be interchanged then folks wouls only need to find or pirate a retail disc and get their OEM key for less money.

HOWEVER, my current beef with them is they still charge way too much money for their products. Office in particular.

But its sort of like automobiles and gasoline, if people keep paying ridiculous prices the seller is going to keep asking for more and more.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Prices of their products would be just it. I haven't really dealt with them any other way or had any other problems.

Oxaqata

Jul 14, 2006
Microsoft PC games are often very buggy, Rise of Nations crashes after just minutes on mine and many other peoples machines, because of a simple programming error which through multiple patches is still yet to be fixed. :disgust:

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004

because they have to answer to shareholders (the biggest assholes in the universe. true story)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

please go back to whatever communist country you came from

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001

So essentially you're complaining about any business that diversifies into other markets? And how they putting Google out of business with their MSN search. And wtf is wrong with .Net? I hate Java anyways.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Baked
I use Windows, but not Office. I don't know what the fuze is about w/ the activation. Just clone or image your C: after installation and you won't have to do reactivation ever again.

This is not necessarily true. I just ghosted a drive a few weekends ago and was required to re-activate.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
To answer this would require it's own scroll.