What is wrong with me!

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
For some reason, I played Halo 1 + 2 on Xbox campaign about three times, and now I have both for PC, replayed Halo 1 campaign the other day and it was still fun! Halo 2 Campaign I played about two times.

Probably played Halo 1 Campaign about 5 times all the way through, and Halo 2 probably the same.

But I have a bunch of 'great' PC games such as Riddick Butcher Bay, HL2, HL2:E1, Far Cry, UT3, and Dark Messiah, and I can't stay interested in the campaign for some reason!

Dark Messiah is amazing for multiplayer in my opinion.....

Also, on another note, is it possible to continue HL2 campaign off from a different point, I lost my old saved game and dont feel like replaying it.

EDIT: I just picked up Fallout 3, and I love it so far. The graphics are amazing in my opinion, any tips you guys want to share about the game with me that won't ruin it :).

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Nothing is wrong, it's just your personal tastes, if you like Halo but don't like Half-Life or UT3, etc, then what can we do? More importantly why would you want us to do anything about it anyway. Just saying, you know, you got your tastes, others have theirs, voila, end of story really there's nothing more to it. As for playing Half-Life 2 from a specific point in the campaign I believe there's a way to unlock the chapters via a console command, but don't quote me on this, if not there has to be a web-site where you can download saved game files.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Don't worry, I don't play single player games because they bore me. I own HL2, FarCry (1), GTA I through San Andreas and Bioshock but I have not finished a single one of them yet even though some of those games are undoubtedly epic. I guess I just love raping folks in Battlefield 2 too much.

Oct 9, 1999
have not played more than a first level on a SP game since hl2 and that was because it was a 'breakthrough' game.

eff sp, bring on humans.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
my taste in games have changed over the years a bit. i used to love playing RPGs when I was younger but after I started to work full time, I found myself more interested in FPS games or games that were quicker to start and get to the action in. I love to read books, but when it comes to video games lately, I hate reading mission text.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
I like RPG's but I don't know any amazing ones for PC, never played WoW and really don't want to though. I 'beat' runescape basically...

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: F1N3ST
I like RPG's but I don't know any amazing ones for PC, never played WoW and really don't want to though. I 'beat' runescape basically...

pfft MMOs aren't RPGs. Play anything that Bioware makes for an excellent RPG :D.

OP just play what you think is fun. I used to be one of those people that would play a game for a day and then slowly back off until it's collecting dust unfinished but recently I've been forcing myself to play throgh to the end on whatever I'm playing and I can say it's been worth it so far- after about halfway through I actually want to keep going :p. Although playing Farcry 2 is getting a bit much.... whenever I go to continue it I end up starting another Empire: total war compaign.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hmm maybe you like story over gameplay. Halo's story was decent, not half life 2 but it was passable. Maybe you dont like half life 2 as much because you missed the first game? Single player really sucks without a good story, for me graphics + gameplay can make up for lack of a story but for some people it cant.

All the other games you mention are pretty thin on story but have excellent gameplay. Except for dark messiah ive never heard of that so cant comment.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Hmm maybe you like story over gameplay. Halo's story was decent, not half life 2 but it was passable. Maybe you dont like half life 2 as much because you missed the first game? Single player really sucks without a good story, for me graphics + gameplay can make up for lack of a story but for some people it cant.

All the other games you mention are pretty thin on story but have excellent gameplay. Except for dark messiah ive never heard of that so cant comment.

I thought Dark Messiah was superb in my opinion, it was my sleeper hit of 2007 (it was released in late 2006, but I myself played in only in summer of 2007). I never expected it to be that good really, and in my book it's still the best modified version of the Source engine to date made by a team outside of Valve (the melee combat was even better than Oblivion's).

But it unfortunately received only "decent" scores and critics, mostly because back then when it was released it seemed to be using lots of resources on most systems, either due to the game being badly optimized and/or other problems. I was lucky enough to play it about a year after it was released, so I had a good system, and the game received patches in the meantime.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
Is Oblivion a good game? Anyone provide me with links to some great RPG's, possibly even demos :eek:.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: F1N3ST
Is Oblivion a good game? Anyone provide me with links to some great RPG's, possibly even demos :eek:.

I hated Oblivion, but since you seem new to the genre you may like it. At the very least, even if you don't like it you can mod it to high hell and back to make the game how you want it to be.

Renowned recent PC RPGs - Mass Effect, Fallout 3, and the Witcher.

All of these are pretty decent. Mass Effect and Fallout 3 have FPS as the main fighting element.

Witcher Demo

I don't think Mass Effect and Fallout 3 have demos.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I alway feel like I'm weird in gaming tastes because I don't like HL2 and it's episodes, Counter-Strike, and TF2. Actually, come to think of it, I don't particularly like any source game. Portal is fun, but nothing spectacular, and L4D is only fun if you have your friends online to play with you (which is usually not the case :( ).

I do enjoy Battlefield 2142 (moreso than Battlefield 2 nowadays) and Crysis Wars. Also, my top three games of all time are:

1. Metal Gear Solid 1
2. Lumines
3. Tetris

Yea, my gaming tastes are weird.

Oct 27, 2007
Oblivion is great. In my opinion Mass Effect is the best action RPG ever created and is competing for my personal Best Game Ever award. Just finished my second play through and it's still amazing.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Oblivion is great. In my opinion Mass Effect is the best action RPG ever created and is competing for my personal Best Game Ever award. Just finished my second play through and it's still amazing.

Mass Effect is a stellar game, it's one of the only games that at the end I stood back and thought 'WOW that was good' I haven't done that since Kotor 1. Bioware ftw.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer

pfffft, baldur's gate 2 kicks the crap out of ME. though ME is still an excellent RPG by any standard, and i'd highly recommend it :)

Aug 11, 2008
MMO's are not really RPGs. To me a real RPG has to be single player. My favorite RPG is KOTOR 1. Mass Effect was good also. Oblivion was ok if you had a lot of time to devote to it.

Aug 11, 2008
I bought HL2 on Steam on sale a short time ago. Somehow I cant really get into it either. Too many physics puzzles actually, they interrupt the gameplay. As someone else said, perhaps the reason I cant get that involved is because I did not play the first game.

Have you tried COD4 Modern Warfare?? It is a great shooter with great multiplayer also.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: frozentundra123456
I bought HL2 on Steam on sale a short time ago. Somehow I cant really get into it either. Too many physics puzzles actually, they interrupt the gameplay. As someone else said, perhaps the reason I cant get that involved is because I did not play the first game.

Have you tried COD4 Modern Warfare?? It is a great shooter with great multiplayer also.

Nah, I don't think playing HL1 has anything to do with it. I played HL1 after playing HL2 :eek:

But your bolded statement is a good complaint for playing the game now. When half life 2 game out, physics puzzle seemed kind of new and different (at least for me). Replaying the game today, they seem old and stale, because everything has a physics engine these days.

mauri

Jun 4, 2005
I hope I'm not going offtopic with this one, but here are my experiences.

I'm going the same phase in a way, just from a bit different perspective. I used to love RPG's, FPS type of games as well as I loved real time and turned based strategy games. I used to play a lot of those genres untill I got my first touch with MMO's: WoW.

I didn't play anything else as long I was playing WoW, nothing could keep my interest more than 5 minutes, even the same type of games would have felt great earlier. I played wow for more than 3.5 years, all the way from Vanilla to WotLK, raided and was in a great guild.

I still kept bying all the "usual" releases I would normally would have bought, I simply couldn't keep my interest towards them. So they were collecting dust in my bookshelf.

I quit WoW over 2 months ago and started prioritizing my life differently (real life took the better in me:) ), and slowly but surely I'm also starting to enjoy all of those games and genres I used to love before my WoW perioid. I'm currently playing mix of Company of Heroes, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, GTA IV and World in Conflict and those are just feeling so fresh and enjoyable again. I've found my interest towards gaming again.

Ofcourse my life situation is different than what it was 2005 when I started WoW, but I'm enjoying gaming in general again. I can play and hour or two and then do something else, but the thing is that it feels good again. And I have many many other titles in the shelf waiting to be played after I finish the ones I'm in a middle with at the moment :)

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
I've never played WoW, but I've seen people playing it. I can understand how it's addicting just from the community perspective; you make alot of online buddies playing a game like that.

I play pretty much everything and anything, except WoW, but I'm primarily an FPS player. What I have come to find is that most MP FPS games are getting really dumbed down though. There's not much strategy to anything other than TF2 recently. All the COD games are camp fests, CS:S is a flipping joke for more reasons that one, and there's really nothing on the horizon in terms of a decent online experience at the moment.

As a result of that, I've been replaying some old games like FarCry and really getting into the modding community. There's a ton of great content out there that's keeps me entertained. I miss the days of FarCry Multiplayer where there was an actual strategy to capping a point, maybe that's why so many people didn't get into the game, it wasn't your average run of the mill "camp and twitch" shooter.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
my taste in games have changed over the years a bit. i used to love playing RPGs when I was younger but after I started to work full time, I found myself more interested in FPS games or games that were quicker to start and get to the action in. I love to read books, but when it comes to video games lately, I hate reading mission text.
I think most of us hate reading boring mission text. There just aren't many (any) games with the same writing and plot as one of your favorite novels and so the tendency is to skip through and get right to the gameplay. The difference in writing quality and imagination between the last novel that I read (Against a Dark Background) and the story of the PC game that I most recently played (LOTRO) is at least an order of magnitude. LOTRO has above average writing for a game too.

Originally posted by: DeePee
eff sp, bring on humans.
I think that games focused on multiplayer are always more fun... in an ideal universe where you have lots of free time to master the game, good friends to play with it, a stable internet connection, and challenging gameplay that really depends on teamwork.

Playing a game you aren't good at with random strangers (jerks) and high latency is a disincentive for a lot of people to play multiplayer games. Certainly I would say the enjoyment that somebody gets from something like an MMO is directly correlated with the kind of guild they join.

F1N3ST

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2006
How much is GTA4 for PC now? And the only real FPS I own is CS:S, DOD:S, and Halo's. Used to have FEAR and AA