What is wrong with Israel?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I read a story on Haaretz yesterday in which a Major General told his starving soldiers deep inside Lebanon to steal food from the Lebanese if they are hungry. Apparently the story was retracted and disappeared.

Now we have a story about the IDF Chief Dan Halutz going into a bank and re-arranging his financial portfolio 3 HOURS after Hezbullah kidnapped the soldiers and attacked Israel with a barrage of missileson July 12. link

Now an Israeli Major and his lieutenants are beating up photographers and confiscating their cameras after they took pictures of soldiers entering Lebanon AFTER the cease-fire? link

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
I heard someone make a comment on the radio that there are problems due to cuts made while Benjamin Netanyaho was in charge of the treasury.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
I read a story on Haaretz yesterday in which a Major General told his starving soldiers deep inside Lebanon to steal food from the Lebanese if they are hungry. Apparently the story was retracted and disappeared.

Now we have a story about the IDF Chief Dan Halutz going into a bank and re-arranging his financial portfolio 3 HOURS after Hezbullah kidnapped the soldiers and attacked Israel with a barrage of missileson July 12. link

Now an Israeli Major and his lieutenants are beating up photographers and confiscating their cameras after they took pictures of soldiers entering Lebanon AFTER the cease-fire? link

they're screwed up, just like everone else around them. Must be something in the water there that makes everyone crazy

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: dna
I heard someone make a comment on the radio that there are problems due to cuts made while Benjamin Netanyaho was in charge of the treasury.

I understand the US Army has had equipment failures and soldiers have clamored for more/better protection than given. But Iraq is like 10 thousand miles from America. Lebanon is next door to Israel. They can't send food to their own soldiers less than 20 MILES away?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I understand the US Army has had equipment failures and soldiers have clamored for more/better protection than given. But Iraq is like 10 thousand miles from America. Lebanon is next door to Israel. They can't send food to their own soldiers less than 20 MILES away?

Sounds like a supply issue, it happens in a time of war.

Ask the Germans on the Eastern Front how the first winter went for them.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Yeah I've read about some complaints from IDF soldiers about lack of food & water and about generally poor equipment provided to them for the war, like old assault rifles and poor armor. The same kind of complaints some of the US soldiers had.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

The Germans were hundreds of miles from home. The Israeli soldiers were less than 20 miles, at most 18 miles, from the border.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

The Germans were hundreds of miles from home. The Israeli soldiers were less than 20 miles, at most 18 miles, from the border.

Logistics is logistics. You can be 1000 feet in front of me, but if I didnt prepare a way to get you water, you are sol.

Obviously Israels supply units were not doing their job correctly.

IrateLeaf

Jul 27, 2006
Also possible retraction becuase it was a phony story?

Just did a google search -- no links concerning what you posted!
You actually think Haarez.com is unbiased?

Again these phony allegations will even get worse as days go past.

None of what you are saying has ben cooroberated by other newspapers.
You see once the cease fire starts also the people who spin misinformation appear.
lets not get caught up in hyperbole and pray that peace will happen.
No matter what my personnal opinion is I have always prayed for peace!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: IrateLeaf

You see once the cease fire starts also the people who spin misinformation appear.

In regards to the food story, it wasn't phony and the Major that said it wanted to clarify himself. Apparently he meant water bottled, according to someone that PM'ed me.

As for Halutz, he admitted it himself.

As for the journalist being attacked, the man served in the same battilion only one year earlier. Now, imagine if he was Arab, how would they have treated him? BTW, victorious soldiers don't mind having the pictures taken. Think about it.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

In regards to the food story, it wasn't phony and the Major that said it wanted to clarify himself. Apparently he meant water bottled, according to someone that PM'ed me.

As for the journalist being attacked, the man served in the same battilion only one year earlier. Now, imagine if he was Arab, how would they have treated him? BTW, victorious soldiers don't mind having the pictures taken. Think about it.

No no, you don't get it Dari. Any story that might hint at some kind of criticism of Israel in any sense of the word is automatically phony or propaganda. get with the program here man. only after an exhaustive investigation conducted a few years from now when people no longer remember this incident let alone care will be begin to acknowlegde its validity. thanks.

IrateLeaf

Jul 27, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina

No no, you don't get it Dari. Any story that might hint at some kind of criticism of Israel in any sense of the word is automatically phony or propaganda. get with the program here man. only after an exhaustive investigation conducted a few years from now when people no longer remember this incident let alone care will be begin to acknowlegde its validity. thanks.

So where is the cooborating evidence???
of course you hit the nail on the head as far as what propoganda is---
Any story that might hint at some kind of criticism of any nation in any sense of the word is automatically phony or propaganda. get with the program here man. only after an exhaustive investigation conducted a few years from now when people no longer remember this incident let alone care will be begin to acknowlegde its validity. thanks.

Yet usually correct me if I am wrong - there is more than one source concerning a story.
sorry but there ar not anymore sources out side the arab world. All dari`s point were made with no cooberating evidence.
Thus you cab say such and such a person said that all you wish. I see no evidence or anything cooberating the story.
If the story was about an arab nation you would be saying the same things i am saying. Thus proppaganda in our midst.
he said....
she said...
they said....
anybody can say...
proof....

Just like people asked for proof that hezbollah troops dressed as civilians....
well thats what I heard from a friend on the battle ground...
if it looks like and it smells like then it must be....lol

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

Any story that might hint at some kind of criticism of any nation in any sense of the word is automatically phony or propaganda. get with the program here man. only after an exhaustive investigation conducted a few years from now when people no longer remember this incident let alone care will be begin to acknowlegde its validity. thanks.

Yet usually correct me if I am wrong - there is more than one source concerning a story.
sorry but there ar not anymore sources out side the arab world. All dari`s point were made with no cooberating evidence.
Thus you cab say such and such a person said that all you wish. I see no evidence or anything cooberating the story.
If the story was about an arab nation you would be saying the same things i am saying. Thus proppaganda in our midst.
he said....
she said...
they said....
anybody can say...
proof....

Doesn't sound any worse than the propaganda you push in most of your Pro-Israel posts. Our websites are "biased" while you freely link stories from Israeli websites.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

he said....
she said...
they said....
anybody can say...
proof....

*sigh*

we really shouldn't be indulging you when you do not extend the same courtesy to us.

link 1

link 2

yup nothing but lies propaganda phony stories

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Heh, IrateLeaf doesn't reply back when you present facts to him. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Please extend him the courtesy of responding based on the time zone that he is in.

There is a good 8-10 hour lead time from his time zone (via profile) to yours.

Anandtech Moderator

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
About the "food stealing", they meant bottled water, and yes, Israel wasn't prepared for this war in more than one way - mostly due to politicians who restrained the IDF and didn't let it roll out the plan it has been making for such a conflict.

About Halutz, well, I don't see American politicians coming through any cleaner in regards to private interests during war... Besides:

1. He only sold it after three hours, when the issue was already known to the public. It's not like he got the message through IDF and immediately sold the stocks;
2. Many others sold the stocks on the same occasion
3. Why, as a private person, he's not entitled to have any kind of financial investment as long as it doesn't affect his judgement? Even jpeyton surely wouldn't claim that Halutz's portfolio had anything to do with the turn of events here, would he?

Many Israeli politicians want to get back at Halutz, leftists don't like him because he dismisses them, right wings don't like him because of the Gaza withdrawal, and many IDF officers don't like him because he's the first chief commander to come from the Air Force.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Well, if you read the Herch article in the New Yorker---the unmistakable conclusion of this article is that Bush&co. was deeply involved in the planning of this latest Israelie offensive.

Which did not go as planned---with Hezbollah showing an unexpectably strong responce----and the Israelies offensive quickly bogged down---taking three weeks to go 18 miles.
In terms of world expectations----Israel clearly under preformed to its lasting embarassement.

This comes as no surprise to this observer----when you relie on or even acccept advice from GWB on strategic planning----everything ALWAYS SCREWS UP TOTALLY----anyone else notice the same pattern enfolding everywhere else?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
We made a mistake we shouldn't have - let our Reserves' (a LOT of people with a LOT of experience) support and equipment dwindle over the years, thinking our Regular army would do the job. Obviously we were wrong, I hope the military learns from it.

BTW, most of the screw-ups were political in nature. The army only does what the higher-ups tell it to.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Well, if you read the Herch article in the New Yorker---the unmistakable conclusion of this article is that Bush&co. was deeply involved in the planning of this latest Israelie offensive.

Which did not go as planned---with Hezbollah showing an unexpectably strong responce----and the Israelies offensive quickly bogged down---taking three weeks to go 18 miles.
In terms of world expectations----Israel clearly under preformed to its lasting embarassement.

This comes as no surprise to this observer----when you relie on or even acccept advice from GWB on strategic planning----everything ALWAYS SCREWS UP TOTALLY----anyone else notice the same pattern enfolding everywhere else?

Well it took them 3 weeks to go 18 miles not because they couldn't, but because the people in charge didn't know what the hell they wanted. If they would've started a ground assault from the start, and the generals and the government of Israel would've said "You need to do this and that", instead of waiting, the Israeli army would've conquered the whole area to the Litani in a week or two.

imported_dna

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2006
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Hey IrateLeaf, here is another article from TIME about the insider trading by Haultz. It's not jewpower.com, but TIME articles are valid.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1227204,00.html

Please confirm that you read this. Thanks. :)

Get over it buddy, and don't mastru-post yourself to death.

The guy himself admitted to selling, but it doesn't really matter. This sensationalistic crap is not what they need right now - instead of figuring out whether he should be charged with anything, they should be analyzing the results of this past conflict.

I'm sure that plenty of those politicians did their own selling.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Originally posted by: fallenangel99
Hey IrateLeaf, here is another article from TIME about the insider trading by Haultz. It's not jewpower.com, but TIME articles are valid.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1227204,00.html

Please confirm that you read this. Thanks. :)

Get over it buddy, and don't mastru-post yourself to death.

The guy himself admitted to selling, but it doesn't really matter. This sensationalistic crap is not what they need right now - instead of figuring out whether he should be charged with anything, they should be analyzing the results of this past conflict.

I'm sure that plenty of those politicians did their own selling.

What he did is not against the law.
Its just wrong, when he should be sending out orders, and all that, he calls the bank to sell stocks or whatever. It's just wrong.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
This war showed Israel's weaknesses.
They had a lot of flaws that they need to work on.

No military is perfect.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
It's just back to the status quo. Let's hope as long a peace as possible, and hold our breaths when this inevitably happens again.

(Personally, I'm hoping Israel perfects its laser missile defense system during this time, rendering all those rockets (and maybe those ICBMs) useless...and has every terrorist shitting their pants. It's a long shot, but that would honestly be the best hope for lasting peace in that region.)