What is with pizza places refusing to put a good amount of sauce.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
I enjoy the sauce much more than the cheese

same here. I don't really care about the cheese or even the toppings, but I need lots of sauce!

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I like lots of sauce too. Luckily, my local pizza joint's pizza looks like this.

And like this when you're halfway done eating it.

Mmmm... pizza...

EpsiIon

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2000
You people are bizarre. I've always thought of pizza as a "cheese delivery device." I like mine with extra extra cheese, thin crust, and a medium amount of sauce.

Reactions: shortylickens

Orange_Flavor

Jul 24, 2021
Every pizza place ive seen has extra sauce on their online ordering or in the app. Even then small independent mom & pop places. How much you get is dependent upon the restaurant, or more likely the individual employee making the pizza. Some will put way more on then others, like I said all comes down to the individual employee and the specific restaurant.
I personally like really light sauce. Also, the problem is that sauce is expensive, and it's an easy way to increase profits.
Wrong, wrong, WRONG! Sauce is one of the cheapest components of the pizza by far. The cheese is the stuff that is the most expensive and why places charge for extra cheese but yet extra sauce is free. Cheese is expensive, ask any pizza restaurant owner. That stuff breaks many restaurants.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Apparently this is a long-term argument.

Or you can just come to the state with the best pizza, New Jersey

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Fuck extra sauce. I won't turn down many pizzas, but I'll go find something else to eat if that's the option. Extra sauce makes an extra fluid layer on top of the crust, and the cheese slides off in a sheet. I don't need my food to anger me. There's enough bullshit to fill that slot in my life...

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Extra sauce also increases your mouth burn risk. Tomatoes have a high specific heat, meaning they hold heat very well. That's why delivery pizza was viable in the first place. It also means that if you put on more than a thin saucing you risk scorching your mouth because it takes that much longer to cool down. (You also tend to get under/overcooked pizza because either you cook the crust properly and the sauce is not hot or you cook the sauce to temp and the crust and cheese is over.)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
YOU PEOPLE HAVE TERRIBLE TASTE BUDS!

Really? ;)

Pepes-Fresh-Tomato-Pie.jpg

*(Pepe's New Haven fresh tomato summer pie... NO sauce at all!)

Reactions: lxskllr

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Well there's a coincidence! Just came downstairs from the bath and the wife is making pizza! (That's on my favourite board, but that's a different thread!)
20210725_185232.jpg

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
ham + pineapple is a great combo

My ex-gf would agree ... that makes two of you! ;)

Seriously though pineapple on top of a cooked ham or served with sweet and sour Chinese pork/chicken for a couple example's doesn't raise any eyebrows.

I think its the funky "fruity-cheesy" combo that gets people.

Yummy! :oops:

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You guys and your boring pizza. :D

Bet none of you ever had potato, ham, onions, corn, and mozzarella cheese stuffed crust pizza. Available only at ponyo's house.

t27QYZzh.jpg

hQlGscNh.jpg

OyHb7Jch.jpg

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Bet none of you ever had potato, ham, onions, corn, and mozzarella cheese stuffed crust pizza. Available only at ponyo's house.

t27QYZzh.jpg

hQlGscNh.jpg

OyHb7Jch.jpg
You can fuck off with that!

No one should ever put corn on a pizza!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

t27QYZzh.jpg

hQlGscNh.jpg

OyHb7Jch.jpg

Looks good! :)

I actually HAVE had everything except the corn (and minus the cheese) along with scrambled eggs on a wood fired oven-baked breakfast-pizza of all things!

Believe it or not it was really tasty!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
All bullshit aside, a ham and pineapple pizza tastes alright, but it just isn't what I want in a pizza. If I decided on pizza, it means I don't want anything sweet. I like it 100% savory, and anchovies are fine by me.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
All bullshit aside, a ham and pineapple pizza tastes alright, but it just isn't what I want in a pizza. If I decided on pizza, it means I don't want anything sweet. I like it 100% savory, and anchovies are fine by me.
Best pizza is anchovies, fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella! Maybe some fresh chillies.