Question What is this type of DVD connector called and can I get it in Blu-ray?

Gobsheite

Jan 15, 2022
I want to upgrade the DVD writer in my aging laptop to internal Blu-ray writer. I bought one and it fits a treat but it had the wrong connector. What is this type of DVD connector called and can I get it in Blu-ray

Attachments

• IMG_20211027_151947.jpg
    IMG_20211027_151947.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 44

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Click on the image icon in the text field (where you write your post) and you can upload an image straight from your harddrive, your google account app expects you to log into it to show the pic.

Anyway, there are only two kinds of ports, IDE or sata, if your laptop is from the last 10 years or so it should be sata.
SATA_PATA.jpg

Often laptops have their own proprietary ports directly on the devices, sometimes they have connectors that you don't immediately realize are there and sometimes they just have standard ports.
There could be a converter for the bluray you bought.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I've posted the photo, dunno why you can't see the Google photos. It looks like Pata from your diagrams. What do you think?
Hard to tell but it very much looks like a proprietary port, you should post a pic of the label as well.
Or try to unscrew the shroud, it could be just an added on connector, as you can see the connector on your drive is on one side only with everything else covered and that's not standard.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Looked up the Toshiba TS-L632 part number. It is an IDE interface for hotswap bays in laptops. Listings have it as ATAPI(IDE) or mini-IDE.

I see a Panasonic UJ-120 Blu-ray player (BD-ROM) on AliExpress for ~$100.

It is hard enough to get Blu-ray disks to play consistently on modern hardware. It's an expensive test for a 10+ year-old laptop.

Reactions: aigomorla

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
It looks like it's ide/pata based on the picture.
If your laptop drive is indeed IDE I would expect it wouldn't be able to handle bluray playback smoothly on account of how old the processor is...

Based on the 2007 date on the dvd drive that would put you in core 2 duo era...

So hopefully it has a dedicated gpu?

Last edited:
Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Its a slimIDE or miniIDE as mpo states.
You wont find a bluray drive that uses it, as they are all slim SATA.
Also i highly doubt your processor will be up to par playing BLR, not to mention you need required software to play BLR and none of them are free.
Lastly you need a HDCP capable videocard to allow software to play BLR content, unless you are going for a straight DATA perspective.

In short, its not worth all the work required... your probably better off getting a USB3.0 BLR player and if you have a USB3.0 port, using that, as that drive will be transferable from one system to another. But again, you still wont be able to watch movies on it, as it will require what i stated above, which i do not think your laptop has any of it, if its still using slimIDE.

Reactions: Insert_Nickname