What is this.... Black Isle is back???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I am not sure what BG3 could even be? The story is over.

BG didnt need any more direct sequels. But we definitely needed more games with a simple interface and excellent story.

I am of the opinion we still dont have a worthy successor.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
BG didnt need any more direct sequels. But we definitely needed more games with a simple interface and excellent story.

I am of the opinion we still dont have a worthy successor.

That we don't, but it would be nice to have something again in that setting.

But some how I don't think the new BI will be as good as it was. I do like the quote surfsatwerk said

It's like some evil demon is bringing my dearly departed loved ones back to life just so I can watch them get raped on the living room rug.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I am not sure what BG3 could even be? The story is over.

I agree... It's kind of a strange scenario. Since Baldur's gate is actually a city, they could make a new story that is not related to the baal story that is based in Baldur's gate. But if that happened then it would feel like they are just milking the name for the name.

So they could just create a whole new game with a new name. It might not get the same attention from fans as a BG title would though.

KAZANI

Sep 10, 2006
Everybody, shut up about Baldur's Gate already! The Forgotten Realms campaign setting has been beaten to death. It's time we start seeing games taking place in the much more diverse and interesting Planescape gameworld. It is the perfect setting for the best elements of role playing and adventure genres to converge, as well as our best chance at ever seeing gaming evolve beyond the hack&slash/shoot'em'up gameplay mire it's been stuck in for more than a decade now.

I say, the hell with it: Let a vestigial Black Isle do another Planescape game even if it's a dud, Obsidian's "dream team" has only managed to produce one mediocre title after the other, our expectations of any developer not pimping our hopes for innovation are pretty low already.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios

If that is not a epic list of awesum games to have to your credit I dont know what is.

We *need* a Baldurs Gate III game...... please saaave us Black Isle!
(we re drowning in a ton of crappy action RPGs! First person shooter-RPGs, only you can save us)

***** ps History lesson:

games made by "Troika Games":
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

Games made by Obsidian Entertainment:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords
Neverwinter Nights 2
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir
Alpha Protocol
Fallout: New Vegas
Dungeon Siege III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park:_The_Stick_of_Truth

^ impressive list of game(s) from top to bottom.

While this is an impressive list of games, there is no indication or reason to believe that the new Black Isle will have any of the creative staff or direction or ability to execute that any of the original members did. So far as we have seen it is ONLY a name. Yet designed to enlist exactly this type of reaction from ill informed consumers.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Dungeon Siege 3 sucks ass. Its not even a Dungeon Siege game. Its generic fantasy hack'n'slash made for console lovers.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Dungeon Siege 3 sucks ass. Its not even a Dungeon Siege game. Its generic fantasy hack'n'slash made for console lovers.

Well, agreed. But to be fair, DS1-2 were generic fantasy hack'n'slash games as well. But they were much higher quality than DS3.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They were FUN, thats the difference. And they were made with the mouse in mind, whereas DS 3 was purely a console game. We just got a port cuz it was on Windows originally and they felt sorry for us.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
They were FUN, thats the difference. And they were made with the mouse in mind, whereas DS 3 was purely a console game. We just got a port cuz it was on Windows originally and they felt sorry for us.

LOL. Oh, agreed that the first two were MUCH better than 3. Just the way you worded it seemed to indicate that the reason why 3 was so bad was because it was a generic Hack'n'slash dungeon crawl.

But absolutely, 3 was poorly executed with a specific focus on it being a console port. And it was very poorly done on top of everything else.

Unfortunately it is a shame that publishers keep on pushing out crap just to trade on previous successes and in an attempt to grab a bit more cash from unsuspecting rubes who don't actually research before they buy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You could argue Fallout 3 was the same way. They just needed a previously known franchise to sell what is basically Oblivion with guns.
Not that I mind Oblivion with guns. But they clearly knew it might not sell on its own, so they bought up the IP and took it in a direction most of the original fans didnt like.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Now, here I would differ with you. Fallout 3 was, in my book, a very enjoyable game. Yes, it was trading on a previous franchise. And yes, it was designed around a console port. but therein ends the comparison (from my perspective).

Dungeon Siege 3 was not only not very well executed, but it wasn't very well designed. The mechanics were horrendous. And the game did nothing to lend itself too, nor even work appropriately with it's new platform. FO3 made it all work. DS3 was just a mess.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
You could argue Fallout 3 was the same way. They just needed a previously known franchise to sell what is basically Oblivion with guns.
Not that I mind Oblivion with guns. But they clearly knew it might not sell on its own, so they bought up the IP and took it in a direction most of the original fans didnt like.

Are you sure? I played all the fallout games upon release and loved F3 and F:NV as did many of the people I know in the same boat.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Are you sure? I played all the fallout games upon release and loved F3 and F:NV as did many of the people I know in the same boat.
The new games aren't necessarily horrendous, but they have nothing meaningful in common with the originals outside of the genre standards that many RPG's share.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Everybody, shut up about Baldur's Gate already! The Forgotten Realms campaign setting has been beaten to death. It's time we start seeing games taking place in the much more diverse and interesting Planescape gameworld. It is the perfect setting for the best elements of role playing and adventure genres to converge, as well as our best chance at ever seeing gaming evolve beyond the hack&slash/shoot'em'up gameplay mire it's been stuck in for more than a decade now.

The Forgotten Realms in a huge setting, and 90% unseen in PC/Console games. You're complaining about seeing too much of the United States when the only place you've been is Chicago.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I didnt say Fallout 3 was bad. I liked it a lot. I put more time into it than Fallout 1 and 2 combined. But its not the same game.

And I agree that the problem with Forgotten Realms is it just isnt used properly. The Chicago/America analogy is perfect.

I've followed the setting from AD&D to 2nd edition to 3rd edition and I think its wonderful. Theres probably hundreds of books altogether detailing the world of Abeir-Torrel. And the video games have only scraped a small fraction of the material. We really needed more Infinity Engine games in different settings. Ideally with excellent quests and stories.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
The new games aren't necessarily horrendous, but they have nothing meaningful in common with the originals outside of the genre standards that many RPG's share.

And the setting. and the turn based combat. and quite a bit of the same sense of humor.