What is this....Age Of Wonders game ?

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Ok, I am an avid fan of Age Of Mythology and Age Of Empires. I have all of the AOE and the expansions and still play Age Of Empires and Age Of Empires 2 to this day.

What is this Age Of Wonders game ? Is it anything like Empires or Mythology ?

The most I can find out about it is that it is a turn-based game, and it seems to be really expensive.

By the way, I really wish they would come out with Age of Empires 4. :)

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I have the same wish as you mate about AoE 4, but Ensemble Studios has been shut down.

Robot Entertainment is our last hope, but we have no idea what they're working on, except we know they're working on two projects. They're the survivors of ES, and Tony Goodman (founder of ES) is the head of Robot.

As far as Age of Wonders game, it's got a hardcore fanbase, but I think AoE is much better.

If you're interested in that kind of game, check out Elemental: War of Magic, an upcoming strategy/turn based game that looks pretty epic in what it's trying to accomplish.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Age of Wonders is a fantasy TBS game. IIRC, its a remake of an early 90s game but i cant remember which...

anyway i've really enjoyed AoW2 and recommend it to any TBS fan.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The final game in the series was age of wonders shadow magic. There is a very active fan base @ http://aow.heavengames.com/ as well as a very large fan patch 1.4 (1.5 has been in progress for years; no clue if they will ever complete it. If you try the game try for age of wonders shadow magic, install the fan patch and then look at some of the custom maps at that site. They are very well done.

The key difference between this game ans AOE series is it is turn base. Also the game is very difficult to find (and expensive) in usa; but ebay.de seems to have it for a very reasonable price at times (no clue why it hasn't shown up on gog, steam or similar; it has been out of print for years).

Last edited:

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Yea, I am a sucker for those types of games. Ones like Age Of Empires and Age Of Mythology. But seems to be slim pickings on these nowadays.

Come on Empires 4 @ Mythology 2.

I may go ahead and pick up Wonders 1 @ 2 with the expansion.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I bought the AoW/AoW2 jewel case many years ago.

I tried hard to get into them, but it didn't work for me.

I must have started at least 10 games of AoW2 thinking "this is the time I'm going to get into this game for real".

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Age of Wonders is a pretty old game. So old in fact that when I got into it several years ago, it already felt outdated in just about every way. It's sort of like Heroes of Might and Magic, but it's not. It's gameplay is pretty good and fun, but the game is brutally hard, and too deep for my liking. I really tried to like it and it's expansion Shadow Magic, because of the very positive reviews, but I simply couldn't get into it. One of the worst things about this game was that it is extremely time consuming just like most games of that type. It's best for a 16 year old who is already smart/dedicated enough for a deep game like this, but too lazy to study in High School, cuts classes often, and as a result has most of the day free. ; )

One may argue that AOW doesn't have to be played this much, but then you wont really get anywhere, unless you play for several months...

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
The studio that made AoE shutdown.

Robot Entertainment is basically ES restarted, but it's an LLC; i.e. not owned by Microsoft.

We know they're working on two projects, but it's anyone's guess what they are.

Their fans on the site are clamoring for Age of Empires, or a spiritual successor thereof, but the dumb fools are going to probably go for something "new and different" it'll suck ass, they'll alienate their PC fans (around 20 million people) blame it on piracy, and then develop for consoles.

I hate dumb fools who just won't do what their fans want.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Like others have said, its turn based strategy with town building and such.
Its closest to Heroes of Might and Magic, or Disciples.
In AoW you have small armies of 1-6 units and they level up & gain abilities, so its closer to Heroes 4 and Disciples 2.
I liked Age of Wonders a lot, until I found Disciples 2, which is superior in pretty much every way.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I have Hero's Of Might And Magic. I think IV ? Never could get past the part towards the beginning, where the giant comes walking in to the town "at least I think it was a town" And I had to move through the rafters in buildings to escape, never did find my way out. It just pissed me off that much.

Hmm....So far the comments seems to be a mixed bag, not sure if I should pick it up or not. Of course everywhere I have seen thus far it is upwards of $60 or at least in that ballpark.

But....I will not be paying that price. I do know that. Now I would pay that for AOE 4 or... AOM 2.

There are petitions asking for AOE 4 and AOM 2. I signed them. Probably do no good though. 1531 signatures so far for AOE4.

Come on Ensemble restarted :), give us what we want.

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Robot Entertainment is basically ES restarted, but it's an LLC; i.e. not owned by Microsoft.

Their fans on the site are clamoring for Age of Empires, or a spiritual successor thereof, but the dumb fools are going to probably go for something "new and different" it'll suck ass, they'll alienate their PC fans (around 20 million people) blame it on piracy, and then develop for consoles.

hmm that eerily sounds like Big Huge Games of Rise of Nations fame. Their 'sequel' was so far removed from the original that fans left in drones so they went on to be a console developers and haven't been heard from since.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com

Well, they worked on the Halo MMO forever last I called, then MS wanted it canned, which is why they were disbanded (MS gave them random projects but were canned), screwing them up. Both their faults probably. Nice that they've made a new studio, but I haven't even played AoE3 really, and can't see them making another game that draws me in like the classic 1+2.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
but I haven't even played AoE3 really, and can't see them making another game that draws me in like the classic 1+2.

AoE3 was actually really addicting, the style was really well done and the civilizations were very well thought out, which is a characteristic of this studio.

The only thing that turned people off to AoE 3 was that the setting didn't have as much pizzazz to it as the original two did.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
AoE3 was actually really addicting, the style was really well done and the civilizations were very well thought out, which is a characteristic of this studio.

The only thing that turned people off to AoE 3 was that the setting didn't have as much pizzazz to it as the original two did.

I agree that it is very addicting. I have finished it about 8 times since release. And to be honest, I am at the end of the first act again. It is just that good.

I am also playing through AOE 2 again too.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
@Mental Illness to be frank, the campaign was ok, but the multiplayer was really awesome. I joined a clan and I was playing every minute I could, it was that good.

but speaking of Robot Entertainment, here's a link on an engine they have licensed: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1075174p1.html

It's coming from an xbox mag which doesn't sound good, because journalists always know more than they let on. That said, Robot is working on two projects, so one could be a 360 game and the other a spiritual successor to AoE?

I don't understand why they'd be so hesitant to release a successor, there are no other games like it on the market, and it has 20 million fans. where the fuck is the problem?

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Great game, so many hours sunk into online play. It's turn based, and very very hard, very very deep. It's more of a chess game than an RTS.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
@Mental Illness to be frank, the campaign was ok, but the multiplayer was really awesome. I joined a clan and I was playing every minute I could, it was that good.

but speaking of Robot Entertainment, here's a link on an engine they have licensed: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1075174p1.html

It's coming from an xbox mag which doesn't sound good, because journalists always know more than they let on. That said, Robot is working on two projects, so one could be a 360 game and the other a spiritual successor to AoE?

I don't understand why they'd be so hesitant to release a successor, there are no other games like it on the market, and it has 20 million fans. where the fuck is the problem?

I have always been a campaign/single player person before online/multiplayer. So to me it was very addictive :)

I find myself every 3-4 months installing it again for another play through. Although now...I am playing through AOE, TQ, AOE2,AOK and AOE 3. :)

Ill tell ya what though, For $10 in Walmart, it isn't bad at all for 1 and 2 and both expansions.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
hmm that eerily sounds like Big Huge Games of Rise of Nations fame. Their 'sequel' was so far removed from the original that fans left in drones so they went on to be a console developers and haven't been heard from since.

Big Huge Games is defunct now. Rather an inglorious end, considering how just pure cool that game was and how it made you think.

I know several CEOs who still play that game together with their fellow employees over the LAN.

It's a shame, a lot of the '90's talent has become complacent or just seems to be mindlessly chasing the money, forgetting that the xbox 360 doesn't really support the "middle class" of game developer talent.

it's either behemoths like Epic or small softcore shit like Catan.