What is the smallest named number?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
eh, beat me to it. I can sort of understand a googleplex or whatever. I mean, I can write it down and explain what it means. Not so with Graham's number.

Math is weird. Graham's number is so large that there is not space in the entire universe to write it down yet...
The last 12 digits of Graham's number are ...262464195387.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
eh, beat me to it. I can sort of understand a googleplex or whatever. I mean, I can write it down and explain what it means. Not so with Graham's number.
And, it has relevance to a real mathematical problem.

Answer to OP's question : infinitesimal. it's greater than zero, and smaller than any real number. See hyperreal and surreal numbers.

Last edited:

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I post this to list-serves on research methods regularly.

Are any of the people on those lists faculty at MS&T? My CS curriculum is more number theory than CS, and I'm running out of fucks to give about all this damned math.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Are any of the people on those lists faculty at MS&T? My CS curriculum is more number theory than CS, and I'm running out of fucks to give about all this damned math.

I felt the same way; which is why I went to Information Systems.