What is the Republican response to Covid

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"some of us may die, and that's a sacrifice we're willing to make"

Corrected for the situation as it is.

"You" would imply people other than them. Especially given your source material. Where as Republican rejection of science means we all, together, face a greater risk of dying.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Corrected for the situation as it is.

"You" would imply people other than them. Especially given your source material. Where as Republican rejection of science means we all, together, face a greater risk of dying.
I mean it from the perspective of the politicians. They're not going to bear the losses. Look at Trump. He got the most advanced care possible, including special drugs that would have been impossible for nearly anyone else to get. If he had been some poor bastard in a rural town? Very good chance he'd be dead right now.

Republican politicians will absolutely sacrifice everyone else because they know they aren't likely to suffer in the same way.

I stand by my original statement.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I mean it from the perspective of the politicians.

Yeah I suppose that works. Their healthcare is the best in the world AND they don't have to care how it is paid for. Same day treatment is win / win for them.

OTOH, Republicans in general are going to eat their own policy, extra deaths and all.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah I suppose that works. Their healthcare is the best in the world AND they don't have to care how it is paid for. Same day treatment is win / win for them.

OTOH, Republicans in general are going to eat their own policy, extra deaths and all.

They're fine with that, as we've seen, cuz liberal tears are so sweet.

Dec 10, 2005
two important factors that should be considered is that Texas doesn't have population density, except in mostly liberal cities and Florida has a ton of old people and the majority of them are now vaccinated.
I think it's pretty well established that density leads to covid is a myth that won't die. Now, there may be a good link with crowding (too many living per dwelling), but that isn't density.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think it's pretty well established that density leads to covid is a myth that won't die. Now, there may be a good link with crowding (too many living per dwelling), but that isn't density.

Yes, the attack rate in households was really high. The more people living in a household the more cases you're going to get. People conflate this with density, sometimes intentionally.

Reactions: Brainonska511

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The latest episode of This American Life delves into many questions around this.

It becomes available online after 7 PM CT today or your local NPR station is probably already playing it. The most interesting part for me was the 2nd act and the focus group discussion with Republicans who were reluctant to get the vaccine.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Well you see. Their plan is to save people by attacking masks. Because COVID is a #hoax and #masks are the real cause of death.

I was just told this by my local Trumpers.

Moral of the story is this. Crazy doesn't have plans. Crazy is just crazy.
I made the mistake of logging on FB the other day. Most of the people I know are Trumptards because I live on the space coast of FL. One had a meme that was probably Russian in origin, about how Seattle reported no flu deaths this season, but deaths from another thing which is exactly like it. It made some further derp sarcasm about ain't it strange or some crap.

You simply cannot help people so willing to dismiss science. It is like opposite day, they think all the facts are the lies. And all the agitprop are the facts. E.G. the Trumptards that dip in once in a while to unload their idiocy here. They are convinced you are the ones living in the bubble, eating up fake news, and deluding yourselves. Never once evaluating that in order to reach that conclusion, they must dismiss all the hard earned scientific knowledge and institutions that our modern world is built on. And then also embrace con artist, kooks, and foreign state propaganda in order to maintain that position. It is synonymous to being a G.I. in WWII, listening to Tokyo Rose, and deciding everything she says is factual, accurate, and that you should base all your decisions and actions on her advice.

Tokyo Rose "Give up G.I.'s, you have no hope of victory."

Trumptard G.I. "Seems legit"

Other G.I.'s " Hey dumbass, we just clapped them at Midway."

Trumptard G.I. "Fake news! Stop listening to the lamestream media!"

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I made the mistake of logging on FB the other day. Most of the people I know are Trumptards because I live on the space coast of FL. One had a meme that was probably Russian in origin, about how Seattle reported no flu deaths this season, but deaths from another thing which is exactly like it. It made some further derp sarcasm about ain't it strange or some crap.

You simply cannot help people so willing to dismiss science. It is like opposite day, they think all the facts are the lies. And all the agitprop are the facts. E.G. the Trumptards that dip in once in a while to unload their idiocy here. They are convinced you are the ones living in the bubble, eating up fake news, and deluding yourselves. Never once evaluating that in order to reach that conclusion, they must dismiss all the hard earned scientific knowledge and institutions that our modern world is built on. And then also embrace con artist, kooks, and foreign state propaganda in order to maintain that position. It is synonymous to being a G.I. in WWII, listening to Tokyo Rose, and deciding everything she says is factual, accurate, and that you should base all your decisions and actions on her advice.

Tokyo Rose "Give up G.I.'s, you have no hope of victory."

Trumptard G.I. "Seems legit"

Other G.I.'s " Hey dumbass, we just clapped them at Midway."

Trumptard G.I. "Fake news! Stop listening to the lamestream media!"
So much this in the comments from the focus group I mentioned above. Years of listening to propaganda has broken the ability of many conservatives to recognize actual factual reporting.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Just look at the crowds of the unmasked at Talladega this past weekend. There's your answer. Which state has the lowest vaccination rates?