What is the Republican Party?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: bamacre
Well, because it's so much easier, let me start with my own party first, the Libertarians, who have done absolutely zero.

Yup. They haven't started any unnecessary wars. They haven't run up huge deficits. They haven't started any social programs that are projected to bankrupt the country. They haven't had the RIAA in their bedroom. They haven't trampled on your 2nd nor 4th amendment rights, nor any others. They haven't sent your money overseas to dictators. They haven't sent any goons to your state to bully cancer patients using medical marijuana. They haven't tried to expand NATO to Russia's borders. They haven't told you that Iran is a threat. They haven't given immunity to corporations who allowed the government to spy on you.

I could go on it seems, wow. This Libertarian Party sounds good. I like a government that doesn't do much. I think it was Henry David Thoreau who said, "That government is best which governs least.? You and he are on to something, I think.

Yup, we Libertarians believe that to the extreme. We believe in so little government that we never govern at all. We just stand on the sidelines and point fingers with great egotistical glee. We have all the virtues on non harm as a cabbage.

Seems if we could get them off the sidelines, and into the WH and Congress, we'd be doing much better.

Too bad 94% of Americans keep voting for assholes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We are off topic so I will say for the sake of the theme of the thread we would be fine under a Republican party that had both their true intentions and the real wisdom to include everybody as an American in with their aspirations.

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
so different states having different abortion laws would be a good thing? ??????!?!?!?!?!

as for this "As for the last line. That applies to both parties equally. You think it is a coincidence John Kerry would have been the wealthiest president in history if he were elected? Both parties cater to the wealthy because that is a good source of funding for them. They also run in the same circles."

Everyone who runs for president and gets to this point is wealthy - but I'm 100% sure that Kerry or Gore wouldn't have put through tax cuts whose primary beneficiaries were the top 1% of income earners.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I like the Libertarians because they never do any wrong. And better yet, they never elect anyone who could put their enviable record to test.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Well, because it's so much easier, let me start with my own party first, the Libertarians, who have done absolutely zero.

Yup. They haven't started any unnecessary wars. They haven't run up huge deficits. They haven't started any social programs that are projected to bankrupt the country. They haven't had the RIAA in their bedroom. They haven't trampled on your 2nd nor 4th amendment rights, nor any others. They haven't sent your money overseas to dictators. They haven't sent any goons to your state to bully cancer patients using medical marijuana. They haven't tried to expand NATO to Russia's borders. They haven't told you that Iran is a threat. They haven't given immunity to corporations who allowed the government to spy on you.

I could go on it seems, wow. This Libertarian Party sounds good. I like a government that doesn't do much. I think it was Henry David Thoreau who said, "That government is best which governs least.? You and he are on to something, I think.

Yup, we Libertarians believe that to the extreme. We believe in so little government that we never govern at all. We just stand on the sidelines and point fingers with great egotistical glee. We have all the virtues on non harm as a cabbage.

Seems if we could get them off the sidelines, and into the WH and Congress, we'd be doing much better.

Too bad 94% of Americans keep voting for assholes.

As I've said before...this isn't about the Libertarian party or even another third party. This is about the American people. And until a large number of them wake the fuck up, the status quo remains the same.

And what LL said. Of course the Libertarian record isn't as bad as the other parties'....because it is effectively non existent.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Changing of the guard. Small govt minded conservatives are being driven out of the party by big govt types.

That said they still stand for

anti-abortion
less taxes
aggressive handling of the WoT
and traditional marriage
closing illegal immigration

You can disagree with the above but they do stand for that.

What happened to the Republican Party of the late 1970s..young, headstrong, and full of fresh ideas for those Cold War times?

I could be wrong but didnt they grow up into what we have today?

Closing illegal immigration? The Republicans? Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bush and McCain, Mr. Open Borders?

Ronald Reagan and legalizing 6 million illegals? GTFO
This is what is destroying the American standard of living, a huge influx of uneducated, unskilled foreigners.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Politics aren't so much about the Party; it's all about the core value system of the leader.

I personally consider Bush a cultural Christian who used the faith to get into office so he could fulfill his ulterior motives. He needs to read the Ten Commandments (and the Two Commandments) and have a long cold look at what he did in Iraq, IMO.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Awesome; another bash the republicans thread. So far I've seen racist and nazi comparisons. Spectacular.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The Republican party stands for the interests of the most wealthy and powerful as a group (not for those members who break from the pack and put the human race first).

They pursue those ends with the means of a populist political agenda, pandering to whoever is not in conflict with their main agenda.

Religious right looking for someone to support? Pander to them. Wave the flag, talk family values, talk gun rights, do whatever's needed for 'heartland voters' and so on.

Racial resentment? Use it. Anti-welfare sentiment? Use it. Fiscal responsibility popular? Praise it. Attack the other side as crazy, unpatriotic, corrupt, whatever.

There's the 'real agenda' at the top; there's the machine (K Street etc.) that provides the machinery to get them the votes needed; and there are the voters who are duped.

The Republican Party can be explained with those two things: the 'real agenda' for the most wealthy and powerful's interests, and the political propaganda agenda to get votes.

The funny thing is where the line is drawn between those in power who understand the 'real agenda' and those who are duped into supporting it.

I really don't think people like Bush have that much idea about the agenda, they are fed what to do by the Heritage Foundation and others who gain the right to set the agenda.

Many Republicans in congress had to have their arms twisted by the corrupt leadership to vote for bad policies, but it worked.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Awesome; another bash the republicans thread. So far I've seen racist and nazi comparisons. Spectacular.

Why are you surprised about the racism charge. You do know that Republicans for quite a long time specifically race baited as an electoral strategy, right? Go read up on the Southern Strategy.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002

That's because the Libertarian Party hasn't been given the opportunity to do any of those things. If you honestly believe there's a chance in hell that a large Libertarian Party filled with tens of millions of Americans wouldn't make those same sort of mistakes (but in different ways), you just don't understand how the world works. What we can hope for; that a strong Libertarian Party, when it does inevitably make mistakes, will minimize both the frequency and the negative impact of those mistakes. Period.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

To be accurate, I compared them to fascists, and specifically not to Nazis. The 2 are not the same, whatever your high school history teacher may have told you. All Nazis are fascists, but not all fascists are Nazis. Get it?

As for racism, who are the KKK voting for again? Or has the white candidate had his patriotism questioned or been accused of being a Muslim?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Actually the quote is from Thomas Paine. Libertarians simply have the luxury of never actually having to govern. It makes things a whole lot easier if you're standing on the sidelines. They never will get a chance to govern either, at least not in this country.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb

That's because the Libertarian Party hasn't been given the opportunity to do any of those things. If you honestly believe there's a chance in hell that a large Libertarian Party filled with tens of millions of Americans wouldn't make those same sort of mistakes (but in different ways), you just don't understand how the world works. What we can hope for; that a strong Libertarian Party, when it does inevitably make mistakes, will minimize both the frequency and the negative impact of those mistakes. Period.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic

To be accurate, I compared them to fascists, and specifically not to Nazis. The 2 are not the same, whatever your high school history teacher may have told you. All Nazis are fascists, but not all fascists are Nazis. Get it?

As for racism, who are the KKK voting for again? Or has the white candidate had his patriotism questioned or been accused of being a Muslim?

Harvey did. and you know that part was not directed at you, so stfu.

who are the black power people going to vote for, and why is that any different than the KKK voting for the white guy? oh yea.. only white people can be racists ... i forgot that Oboma memo...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: herm0016

who are the black power people going to vote for, and why is that any different than the KKK voting for the white guy? oh yea.. only white people can be racists ... i forgot that Oboma memo...

Why are you assuming black people are voting for Obama because he's black?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: herm0016

:roll:

Of course black people can be racists. Let me know when the Black Panthers ever pose a threat of coming to power in this country. Or... if there's a credible reason why I should fear that more than the KKK regaining power of this country.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
I think the Republican Party is dead, if Obama wins it's the beginning of the end.

I wonder who will replace them, that's what I'm interested in.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Tab
I think the Republican Party is dead, if Obama wins it's the beginning on the end.

I really doubt the Republican party is going anywhere. Who would replace them? I see no viable alternative.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: eskimospy
I think the Republican Party is dead, if Obama wins it's the beginning on the end.

I really doubt the Republican party is going anywhere. Who would replace them? I see no viable alternative.

It is difficult IMO to figure out how to explain that a generation or 2 from now, it is quite likely that the Republicans will be the young liberals and the Democrats the old-guard conservatives.
Just take my word for it.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

I don't know how accurate my perceptions are but nothing is going well for the Republican Party. The Bush Administration is nearly a complete disaster, many of the GOP leaders have been caught many scandals , funding is way down, the party lacks any sort of enthusiasm, many of their leaders won't even be attending the RNC.

Plus, they're starting to loose key states. They're slowly loosing my state - North Dakota which has voted Republican for a very long time.

I don't see how they can possibly keep up, somethings going to give.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It is difficult IMO to figure out how to explain that a generation or 2 from now, it is quite likely that the Republicans will be the young liberals and the Democrats the old-guard conservatives.

Meh, I'm not so sure about that. There have been two major realignments since the two major parties solidified 150 years ago or so and they both centered on race. I can't think of an issue, or even a potential issue so divisive and so fundamental to our society that it would cause a third such realignment.

Sure it's plenty possible, I mean people can't even predict what's going to happen 6 months from now much less 20 years, but I have trouble seeing what the causal force would even be.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I don't know how accurate my perceptions are but nothing is going well for the Republican Party. The Bush Administration is nearly a complete disaster, many of the GOP leaders have been caught many scandals , funding is way down, the party lacks any sort of enthusiasm, many of their leaders won't even be attending the RNC.

Plus, they're starting to loose key states. They're slowly loosing my state - North Dakota which has voted Republican for a very long time.

I don't see how they can possibly keep up, somethings going to give.

The Republican party is definitely going through a rough patch, but they'll be back. I imagine the Democrats will control all 3 branches of government for at least the next 4 years, and so the GOP will have awhile out of power to lick its wounds. Not only that, but being out of power will mean that they won't be responsible for any of the fuckups our government will undoubtedly make in the next 4 years... so people will probably get nostalgic for Republicanism. They will (sadly) be back.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Meh, I'm not so sure about that. There have been two major realignments since the two major parties solidified 150 years ago or so and they both centered on race. I can't think of an issue, or even a potential issue so divisive and so fundamental to our society that it would cause a third such realignment.

Sure it's plenty possible, I mean people can't even predict what's going to happen 6 months from now much less 20 years, but I have trouble seeing what the causal force would even be.

Whites will cease to be the majority.

The American Dream, what it means to be an American, will go on as strong as ever though.
That bothers some. I see it as mixing up the human gene pools, but it bothers some.