What is the Purpose of Life?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
To enjoy God/the One True Good and glorify that Good forever.

This ends in happiness. But those who seek happiness first never get there. Learning to glorify the Good is the Way of the Cross. To achieve a "resurrected" abundant life filled with the Good is the narrow way. The narrow way appears hard but it is actually the only possible way that exists.

To walk in the Abundant Spirit of the Good, one must walk in harmony with the Word of the Good. But what does that mean? When that Word became human and walked among us, he did not have what we would call a happy life. Though the Source of Joy, He was treated as an object of contempt by many people. When he didn't enable, cater to, and spoil the people, they turned on him. Read John 6 carefully.

What it means is that the Cross of Shame comes before the Crown of Resurrected Life and Purpose. Hence, most people rejct the journey off hand. Who wants to face Shame? Even the Word Himself hesitated when faced with the Cup of Humanity's Shame. It's initially easier to bury it and run. While initially easier, this all-too-common choice is impossible. It cannot work because it isn't real.

Tetsuo316

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000
<< What is the Purpose of Life? >>

42. actually that's the answer to life, the universe and everything, so there.

poolshark

Dec 19, 1999
the purpose of life is easy
Play golf to the best of your ability as long as you can and never use your foot wedge when someone is looking

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
My purpose in my life right now is to raise my children well, and have them grow up to be good productive people in the world. After that, I don't know, I will find something else to bring meaning into my life. I don't think you need spirituality or religion to have a purpose. I am a christian, but that is not my only meaning to life. I know plenty of people who are not religious, and still live their lives with plenty of meaning and love in it.

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
If you look at the world and ask, what if man were not here, the answer likely comes back... &quot;we are unnecessary&quot;. We are not a part of the food chain for any animal. We are needed only on this earth for our own species. That is ,unless you have a belief system that includes a creator, who must have made man for His purposes...

So my answer is....

To find peace and joy in this confused and cruel world. To give your life significance regardless of your circumstances or the illusionary opinions of people who fail to accomplish the same.

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
Hello UG:

How about:

. . . to sacrifice Great Significance to the illusions of human opinions.

Oh wait, that is the purposelessness of life. :D

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
The purpose of life could just be to learn and grow within a set of circumstances that is your life. Too, doesn't it seem that when you overcome a difficulty, that the next is presented?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Zoology says that the purpose of life is to reproduce in order to pass on the DNA that drives us all.

I dont think that there is any &quot;Greater Purpose&quot; since we are just random happenings anyway.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
to find happiness
to achieve
to overcome difficulties, challenges, and obstacles
to teach
to learn

Jazar

Mar 27, 2000
As I said a while back, the purpose of life is to learn and to grow in consciousness. The tricky part is figuring out what's worth learning and what's a waste of time. :p

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
I dont think that there is any &quot;Greater Purpose&quot; since we are just random happenings anyway.

Open your cpu case cover, take a good look and tell me that is just random happenings!

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

<< The purpose of life is to learn and grow in consciousness . . . >>

And then what . . . die? What's the advantage of learning and growing over stupidity and &quot;sex, drugs and rock and roll&quot; if the eventuality is the same?

Why bother?

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
Careful boys, Apoppin's got the feed bag and he's headin for the &quot;eternal life&quot; corral.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
IronMike,

I said WE are just random happenings. We have developed intelligence, figured out the principles, not laws, of physics and have manufactured, not created, computers.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

<< Careful boys, Apoppin's got the feed bag and he's heading for the &quot;eternal life&quot; corral >>

:)

Actually, I posted this topic because of the complaints that there were'nt enough 'meaningful' topics. Also, this has been perplexing me for quite some time and I wanted to see what the forum members had to say about it.

Basically I see two viewpoints. One has strong spiritual or religious beliefs. The other believes that life is here by 'accident'. The problem I see with the second, is that it doesn't really matter what we do - there is no purpose or meaning to life.

EDIT: Anyway, you won't have me bugging you here for at least a few hours as I'm heading to work.

Jazar

Mar 27, 2000
well apoppin... I&quot;m a spiritual man so I believe in a life after death. For all the athiests out there I've got another answer: &quot;Eat, drink, and be marry. For tomorrow we'll die.&quot;

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What do you mean by 'purpose'? What do you mean by 'life'? What do you mean by 'is'?

The purpose of this thread is clear:

Appopin: <... I posted this topic because of the complaints that there were'nt enough 'meaningful' topics...>

Thought-provoking, controversial, a great topic.

That the thread topic is &quot;What is the purpose of life?&quot; implies that its actual purpose is unknown (and it isn't, if it even has one) and thus opinions are being solicited. Were The Purpose of life known the thread topic might instead have been worded: &quot;Why is the purpose of life what it is&quot;?

The fact there is no consensus on the 'purpose of life', or even that there is a purpose to life, supports the conclusion that any speculation about such a purpose is personal opinion.

What is the purpose for a bacterium's life, or a tree's, or a butterfly's? No one I've heard claims that all of god's cockroaches will be blissfully hanging out with us in heaven.

So, the question really is implying &quot;What is the purpose of human life?&quot;

The easier question of purpose to answer is: the purpose of your life is to make of it what you will.

One can be of the opinion that it is to twiddle your thumbs until the next life comes along, or be of the opinion that the purpose of being in god's test tube while he conducts good vs. evil experiments with us is a stupid premise on which to base life's purpose.

In the absense of certain knowledge of a purpose to life one's conclusions necessarily are based on specultaive conjecture, nothing more.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Be Merry? I thought it was your turn to be Mary. Old Joke like let me be Frank with you.

There may be an afterlife, there may not be. There may be a God, there may not be. A prudent man hedges his bets but the best thing you can do is live a life you would not be ashamed of and do the right thing. Organized religion is a good thing and serves a useful purpose but also a big business so believe what you wish.

If there is an afterlife, where are all the fun people going to be?