What is the point???

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
All right, so we've got a new troll, TomFoolery . . . and the mods have banned him, so it's cool, but it's someone incognito.

WHY!?!?!

What's the stupid point? Why post under an alias just so you can act like a moron? It's not just stupid . . . it's immature, and pointless.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The really stupid part is this . . . it's rather obvious who it was . . . and it's somebody who I would have never expected to suffer from diahrrea of the cranium . . .

EDIT

It's A Brooks, not THE Brooks.

Matt, you have my sincere apology.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, that is a surpise. Brooks is a dick sometimes (aren't we all;)), but he's certainly not an idiot.

Russ, NCNE

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
Pretty bold accusation, Zerox... unless of coarse, you have the matching IP's to back it up.

Xerox Man doesn't have the IP address, but we do. They are static and identical.

AnandTech Moderator

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If I'm wrong, I'll apologize. I was looking at TomFoolery's profile, and some of the info just clicked. I checked, and it would seem to be a match.

I'm not discounting the possiblity somebody got pi$$ed at Brooks and decided to "frame him", so to speak, though.

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
I noticed the location right away and knew that Brooks is located in Halifax, but so are 330,000 people. What if TomFoolery was from Ottawa, would you suspect me or Zuni? Do not judge too hastily.

Backstreets (Bruce Springsteen)

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's A Brooks, not THE Brooks.

Apparently little brother was feeling his oats this evening . . .

Xerox Man,

We can't count how many times we've heard that story when we pop a user. We don't buy it, and neither should you.

AnandTech Moderator

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
Well, I guess you're right Zerox:) The Mod has spoken(And pretty darn rudely, I might add.)... Take a look at their edit in my post below.

Brooks, you've been a bad bad bad little boy.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Mod,

I dunno . . . I can see my little brother pulling something like this . . . course, I'd beat the tar out of him, but you know. ;)

Dennil,

If Brooks is asleep (as Tom is telling me) he's going to be royally irked when he wakes up.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dennil,

'the little brother too'

"I'll get you, my pretty . . ."

LOL. And I AM listening to Dark Side of the Moon at the moment . . . hmmm.

hippy

Oct 9, 1999
Hummm, this thread is starting to sound like another one of those damn witch hunt threads.:(

Btw, Flossy, I thought you were tired.

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
I know we've all heard the "little brother" excuse before, but read the tone of the posts. It doesn't sound anything like Brooks' usual posts.

<< Why would he need to use an alias just to tell us what he felt? He's never done it before. >>

I agree. In the year and a half that I've been reading this forum, I've seen Brooks speak his mind many times. He's not one to hide from his opinions, IMO.

Also, he seems like he's got enough sense in his head to know that if he has a static IP, the mods'll know right away who is trolling.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
the trick is to have multiple ip addresses. that should throw everyone off for a while. come back soon brooks

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
multiple ip addresses. how easy is it to go through proxies?>

most standard modems have changing addresses, though. My guess is the forum would ban massive sections of the world until the culprit came forward. When I first joined here people at with e-mail addresses @yahoo.com all got banned. Same thing with those Universities in California last spring. Power Anand has.....

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
not really, in the event of a banning there are so many proxies you could go through...banning is only as effective as the drive of the person that's been banned..