What is the most trusted brand for 7850, 7870, 7950

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I can only speak to ASUS laptop customer service but it was awesome and they even paid for shipping both ways. Not sure what they are like for video cards.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
no ASUS customer service sucks I have dealt with them before.

I had one ASUS gpu before it was back and fourth and I had to pay shipping BOTH ways. Stinks!

They do make great nvidia cards as long as they don't die! Good motherboards too!

CryHavoc

Golden Member
Jan 17, 2003
Never heard of them either.

LOL then you must be very young or somewhat new to the scene.

The Diamond Viper V770 was, for a time about 14 to 15 years ago...THE video card to have

NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 chipset
32-bit rendering
128-bit 2-D acceleration
32 MB video memory (later updated to 64)
AGP 4x

These were great cards for DOOM, Castle Wolfenstein and especially Quake

Man I'm getting old!

Regarding video card brands of today.
I've had perfect experience with MSI, Gigabyte, Powercolor and EVGA.

If I were in the market for a new card, I'd lean MSI or EVGA

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
LOL then you must be very young or somewhat new to the scene.

The Diamond Viper V770 was, for a time about 14 to 15 years ago...THE video card to have

NVIDIA Riva TNT 2 chipset
32-bit rendering
128-bit 2-D acceleration
32 MB video memory (later updated to 64)
AGP 4x

These were great cards for DOOM, Castle Wolfenstein and especially Quake

Man I'm getting old!

Regarding video card brands of today.
I've had perfect experience with MSI, Gigabyte, Powercolor and EVGA.

If I were in the market for a new card, I'd lean MSI or EVGA
No I am not new to the "scene" I just don't have expierence with certain brands.

The GPU brands I have used for nvidia and ati/amd cards...

- BFG Tech
- ASUS
- Gigabyte
- Powercolor
- Sapphire
- 3dfx
- EVGA

Last edited:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Despite everything I just read in this thread: Sapphire, Diamond, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerCooler, HIS, and VisionTek (and did I forget anyone else?) all make quality AMD cards. The only brand I'd avoid is XFX. (And it wasn't always that way either.)

This is based entirely on what I've read, heard, and seen since around 2004. Is my opinion worth a damn more than the others posted in this thread? Well I think so ;)

If I had to pick just one brand for AMD cards it would be VisionTek, because they have a lifetime warranty, AND you probably won't need it. I honestly think they are the hidden gem of manufacturers.

Last edited:

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
Despite everything I just read in this thread: Sapphire, Diamond, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, PowerCooler, HIS, and VisionTek (and did I forget anyone else?) all make quality AMD cards. The only brand I'd avoid is XFX. (And it wasn't always that way either.)

This is based entirely on what I've read, heard, and seen since around 2004. Is my opinion worth a damn more than the others posted in this thread? Well I think so ;)

If I had to pick just one brand for AMD cards it would be VisionTek, because they have a lifetime warranty, AND you probably won't need it.
but XFX has a lifetime warranty to, it's transferrable if you sell card, and you can put your old card towards a new one.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
well it's a lifetime so you can't go wrong. :D

I want to know why you think XFX is bad.

I think xfx is bad because I perceive a widely held notion that their QC is terrible and their RMA service rivals Asus. (which is not a good thing) :thumbsdown:

That being said, I've recommend xfx cards to people when the price was right on their models, because you are correct, in the end the warranty is for the lifetime of the card.

stylez777

Mar 5, 2012
I own an XFX 5850 for 3 years now. It has been a workhorse for me. Even with the lifetime warranty here are reasons I won't buy another one now:

1. Their cooling on their cards is widely reviewed as not as good or as quiet as MSI TF3 or Gigabytes WF3 card.

2. Their Black edition with the upgraded cooling is still not as good as MSI or Gigabyte offering and is more expensive.

3. They have not overclocked as well compared to MSI or Gigabytes cards in reviews (something important to me)

Beyond that the lifetime warranty is a good fall back and I can see that swaying buyers (if XFX lives up to it). My XFX 5850 is starting to die on me so I may soon be testing them on their lifetime warranty.

While I won't bash XFX they just would not be my first choice I feel their is better options from other manufacturers for a tad less price

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
I will go with 7950 MSI or Gigabyte, whatever is cheaper on the Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

I have learned more about some of these brands so that is good to know.

Sep 17, 2011
I have a Diamond 7970, installed the GHZ bios, works fine. Fold on it more than I game. Ran hot. Installed the Kuhler 620 on it. No complaints on it yet. Have had for a couple of months.

octavian33

Nov 9, 2012
I am just curious, what card are you useing now Shephard?

Reason I ask is are you the type of person who has to stay on the bleeding edge of tech, or is this choice that you are makeing going to be one that you stay with for quite sometime?

This might influence the decision you make if OC is important to you, warranties, etc.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
I am just curious, what card are you useing now Shephard?

Reason I ask is are you the type of person who has to stay on the bleeding edge of tech, or is this choice that you are makeing going to be one that you stay with for quite sometime?

This might influence the decision you make if OC is important to you, warranties, etc.
Right now I have 9800 GT overclocked made by ASUS. Paired with my Q6600. I have had my computer over 5 years now.

I want to play all the games on highest possible settings, never been able to do that.

superjim

Jan 3, 2012
I've never had a problem with any third-party vendor over 12+ years. Diamond, Sapphire, HIS, Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, Powercolor. I'll consider myself lucky. Warranty-wise I think EVGA has the best warranties but they only make nvidia cards. For AMD I think XFX has the best warranty, last time I checked. Always a crap-shoot.

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
So far I have had the following brands/cards in the recent past. XFX 9800GTX+ had two of them, they are still strong running cards, PNY GTX 470 ran hot but never died, sold it, Asus 470 good card, Palit 460 ran great still going I bet, Powercolor 6970 quiet and cool card build quality was good (sold it) . MSI GTX 680 Reference died randomly on startup, RMA was a PITA hard to get ahold of someone and ended up not getting a replacement card they finally refunded me with a check that took a month to arrive , I will still buy their cards due to nice design. EVGA 680 nice card good build, XFX 7970 I think I killed this card with voltage by accident, told xfx rep what happened he replaced it within a week, I got my replacement xfx 7970 and its great I had a driver issue and the reps are on the spot ready to help every time I call. Asus 560's I had were very nice cards as well and I have had good luck with asus CS. I don't understand all the hate on XFX here, all companies have good and bad.