What is the most MOD-friendly game out there right now(that is recent)?

Dec 28, 2001
So this [thread=2172105]thread[/thread] made me think; in your opinion, what is the most MOD-friendly game out there right now that was made within the last . . . say, 4~5 years?

Being the lame cheap-o that I am, I like to get the most mileage out of my games and playing a well-made mod or total conversion is definitely a way to keep the game fresh.

I'm fairly sure that people would say Oblivion, only because of the sheer amount of ridiculous/awesome content floating around the web, but what else? Even if there isn't a lot of content floating around for it, is there another game like Stalker where a monumental overhaul of tweaks/MODS transform an otherwise okay/good game into a great game?

I know that Neverwinter Nights was chock-filled with user-made content, but as I understand it, NWN2 didn't catch up as much as well. The only other MOD-happy game that I can think of would be Torchlight . . ..

On a side note (yes I'm hijacking my own thread . . . on the first post, no less), I've been getting into Doom 3 again - I know that it's a much older title that didn't quite catch on - but I've just installed sikkmod on that puppy and while it doesn't do much for gameplay, it definitely adds some pretty to the overall game. Are there any other must-have mods for that game that I'm missing?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
There's good mods and modding communities for:

- Source-based games
- The Elder Scrolls series
- Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas
- STALKER trilogy
- Dawn of War 1 & 2
- Total War series
- Unreal Tournament trilogy (99, 2004, 3)
- Dragon Age (Origins, Awakening, and for DA2 it's just starting)

I know I'm missing a few, but I always have those in mind. I'll edit this post if I can recall others. But generally speaking if you want to check out what kind of games can be modded or are being modded then I would recommend checking MODDB.com, if you find a game in there chances are that it means mods exists for it or that projects are being planned for it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
New Vegas.
Like all the Bethesda games before it, they either include the modding tool on the disc, or have it available for download before the game is even out.
Plugins are super easy. You just need to have them in the Data folder. You can either use the game app to load plugins, or use a mod manager which actually works better. People have not only added whole new worlds to the game with mods, they have also fixed a lot of original bugs not fixed by dev patches. Especially in Oblivion.

And Fallout 3 & New Vegas are about as close to STALKER as you can get.

Apr 28, 2010
Awesome mods for Civ4, too. Completely changes how the game plays, and looks.

Hundreds of hours of extra entertainment!

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
L4D2 has a lot of custom content available.

Oh, someone already said source games above.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
Minecraft has a huge modding scene due to the game being almost open source. There are mods that add new items, creatures or completely change the world generator. There are also hundreds of custom story maps you can download.

Dec 28, 2001
There's good mods and modding communities for:

- Source-based games
- The Elder Scrolls series
- Fallout 3 / Fallout New Vegas
- STALKER trilogy
- Dawn of War 1 & 2
- Total War series
- Unreal Tournament trilogy (99, 2004, 3)
- Dragon Age (Origins, Awakening, and for DA2 it's just starting)

I know I'm missing a few, but I always have those in mind. I'll edit this post if I can recall others. But generally speaking if you want to check out what kind of games can be modded or are being modded then I would recommend checking MODDB.com, if you find a game in there chances are that it means mods exists for it or that projects are being planned for it.

Right, I'm already ahead of ya and I do peruse the site, but what are some standout MODs? Most of the time I see unreleased attempts or MODs that don't really do much to the experience. What are some standout mods for some of these games (it didn't even dawn on me to check on DoWI/II: Dark Crusade has to be one of my favorite games!)?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Anything with the unreal engine. I've played an almost-complete Thief mod for UT. It was freaking awesome.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I would say the best game/setup for modding is Crysis..

But there are plenty of games listed that have amazing mods. Unreal Engine based games have some really amazing stuff.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
If Mechwarrior: Living Legends achieves a 1.0 release... it's likely going to be incredible. What they've accomplished so far has been really impressive.

It's using Crysis Wars for it's backbone.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Neverwinter Nights 2
The Witcher
Dragon Age Origins
Oblivion

Bethesda games are the best, IMO, when it comes to mods.
They have to be, barely playable without them.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Don't know which are the most modable or how I could even quantify modability, but TES4 and Fallout 3 have an unholy number of mods out for them.