What is the maximum safe temperature for an FX-8350 under load?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Yeah, I know. This is another one of those "is x degrees safe for this processor?" kind of threads.

I just want to be sure though. I have an FX-8350, air cooled with a Hyper 212 EVO, with the voltage bumped up a tiny bit so it can run at 4.4GHz. Nothing too fancy, right? Running OCCT:CPU heats up the core temperatures to around 62 degrees after a few minutes (probably 65 max after an extended length of time).

How does that fare for an FX-8350? I'm talking strictly load temps. Idle temps are perfectly fine, especially with "Cool and Quiet" turned on. (HWiNFO64 reports core temperatures of around 20 degrees idle, which sounds silly; but the socket temperature reads around 35, which seems more accurate).

Side note: The core temperature sensor looks silly on idle, but when the CPU is under load, the core and socket temperatures more closely resemble one another.

So anyway, I've googled "FX-8350 safe temperature" and I'm hearing a mix of things. Some people say 62 C is the maximum safe value for these chips (which makes me nervous). Some say 70. OCCT tells me it's 80 for some reason. (Some weirdos say anything below 90 is fine, but of course that's not true.)

So what is it? I've experienced absolutely no stability problems with my current overclock (which, again, is 4.4Ghz). I've managed to push it up to 4.6GHz, but the additional voltage bump introduces too much heat. Under OCCT, the core temps reached 70 degrees, and my PC promptly shut down. I think my motherboard has an auto-shutdown trigger at 70 degrees.

What do you guys think? Just wondering if my CPU is safe at 65 degrees max (and that's only in torture tests; in real-world applications it's lower.) Specs are in my sig.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ask AMD, they would be the only people who know the answer. Everything else is just people taking guesses. If you get an answer please let us know!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Ask AMD, they would be the only people who know the answer. Everything else is just people taking guesses. If you get an answer please let us know!

I suppose this may be one of those questions with no real answer. "Depends on the situation, depends on the setup, different chips have different thresholds," etc, etc. I'm the type of person who finds comfort in having straight answers though.

The "Max Temps" on AMD's spec sheet is frustratingly left blank.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I try to keep my FX6100 under 70C. If the CPU can't even take 70C...well let it burn then lol :D

I thought I read somewhere when Bulldozer was initially released that 75C was max for the 95w chips and 65C was max for the 125w chips, but don't quote me on it.

grimpr

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2007
70c, above it starts to throttle and eventually shutdown. You need a highend cooler to stay cool below 70c and go to 4.6ghz and beyond.

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
70C is the Max as after it will throttle

What voltage are you using because my FX 8320 @4.4GHz under full load barely breaks 55C and i use a Hyper 212+ Push/Pull

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
70C is the Max as after it will throttle

What voltage are you using because my FX 8320 @4.4GHz under full load barely breaks 55C and i use a Hyper 212+ Push/Pull

Your 70C threshold experience is purely mobo dependent and has no bearing on AMD's specs or CPU designs.

For example, my FX-8350 goes all the way to 83C on an Asus CVFZ without any throttling whatsoever.

Is it safe to operate at 83C under full load? No one can say. Asus obviously feels it is ok. AMD isn't inclined to say it is not OK.

So who is to say?

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Is there something to be said about why AMD doesn't report actual temps from the thermal diode but gives some proprietary scale reading. Its mysterious enough to confound its partners and s/w developers since we've got spurious readings when idle.

And now it doesn't even want to list the max temps before the thermal protection trips.

Has AMD ever reported real temps ever since it embedded thermal diodes into its cpus?