What is the mask situation like where you are?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What is the mask situation like where you are?

• Masks required in public places/businesses due to state mandate

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Masks required in public places/businesses due to local (County/Municipal) mandate

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No state/local mandate but most people wear masks anyway

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • No mandate and most people do not wear mask

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • COVID-19 comedy option

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
West Chicago burbs, everybody is supposed to be wearing masks indoors, but I estimate about 20% of people in grocery stores are wearing them incorrectly under their noses or in a couple of particular cases on their chin/none at all.

Illinois has been pretty good in handling covid19 so far, but our daily new cases have been slowly ticking up lately which I think reflect callous attitude I observe around me.

Reactions: VashHT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
MD: statewide mandate for masks indoors since ~late March early April. Still in effect, and with generally good compliance (where I live anyway; not too sure about the hayseed parts of the state, but then transmission there has been very low). All private and public gatherings had been restricted to no more than 10, bumped to 50, and now I think it's been removed or "at discretion."

Compliance there has been relatively poor, especially private gatherings. HD and Lowes and grocery stores have been regulating and limiting customer numbers since early April, but that is no longer in effect.
This has been my experience too. I typically go to the grocery store early and it's fairly empty when I'm getting all of my food. There were times I drove to Home Depot and the line was too long so I just turned around and left. I haven't been there since they took the restriction out, although I will be going there this week for paint.

I'm going on a charter fishing trip this next Saturday in the Chesapeake and we're all bringing masks in case they enforce it but I don't think we will be wearing them for the most part while moving on the boat. I may wear mine and pull it down to take sips of my drink, but the problem is my sun glasses fog up like shit with a mask, especially the Adidas one I have been wearing since it has no wire to mold to your nose.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This has been my experience too. I typically go to the grocery store early and it's fairly empty when I'm getting all of my food. There were times I drove to Home Depot and the line was too long so I just turned around and left. I haven't been there since they took the restriction out, although I will be going there this week for paint.

I'm going on a charter fishing trip this next Saturday in the Chesapeake and we're all bringing masks in case they enforce it but I don't think we will be wearing them for the most part while moving on the boat. I may wear mine and pull it down to take sips of my drink, but the problem is my sun glasses fog up like shit with a mask, especially the Adidas one I have been wearing since it has no wire to mold to your nose.

If it's a small boat, I'd still wear a mask if it's crowded enough, as you plan to be there for all of the day around all those germ factories.

As a permanent glasses-wearer that has many years experience wearing ~N95 masks for many hours at a time while doing lab work, the fogging is never perfect, though you can mitigate it pretty effectively: make sure that you are properly crimping the metal nose adjuster against the contour of your nose and face, and that it is tucked under the nose bridge on your sunglasses. I tend to pull my glasses out and over a little bit, just adjust and do a few exhale tests and sometimes it's like a miracle!

If all of that is properly fit, then you shouldn't really be getting much fogging on your lenses (because the metal adjuster should be blocking expiration in that direction very effectively). ....it doesn't prevent everything all the time, at least in my experience working in rather humid, temp-control rooms while wearing masks, but it does help.

Reactions: Meghan54

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
People in California must wear face coverings when they are in the high-risk situations listed below: Working in any space where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution to others; ... Persons with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that prevents wearing a face covering.

In my town you are supposed to carry a mask and wear it within 30 feet of strangers. I'm certain they are required in public indoor spaces. More and more people are wearing them outdoors. I have not been in an indoor public space since March 18.

Frankly I have not craved to be in the company of others during this time. I have, however, had quite a few dreams where I am.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If it's a small boat, I'd still wear a mask if it's crowded enough, as you plan to be there for all of the day around all those germ factories.

As a permanent glasses-wearer that has many years experience wearing ~N95 masks for many hours at a time while doing lab work, the fogging is never perfect, though you can mitigate it pretty effectively: make sure that you are properly crimping the metal nose adjuster against the contour of your nose and face, and that it is tucked under the nose bridge on your sunglasses. I tend to pull my glasses out and over a little bit, just adjust and do a few exhale tests and sometimes it's like a miracle!

If all of that is properly fit, then you shouldn't really be getting much fogging on your lenses (because the metal adjuster should be blocking expiration in that direction very effectively). ....it doesn't prevent everything all the time, at least in my experience working in rather humid, temp-control rooms while wearing masks, but it does help.
You can get anti-fogger compounds you rub onto your glasses' lenses. I have some. It's pretty effective. Not 100% but it majorly helps and I use it sometimes. I have some in both of my medicine cabinets. It looks like a bar of soap but made of translucent pink wax. I suspect that a wax, even candle wax would work, although maybe not as well. You mark an X on your lens and work it in well with a cloth ... wash the lens really well first with soap and water (preferably using a brush) to get it good and clean before applying. That's the way I clean my glasses on a daily basis, it helps prevent permanent marring/scratching. Got that tip in a blog by and for optometrists! If they still sold glasses made with glass lenses, that's what I'd be wearing, but AFAIK you can't get them anymore. Planned obsolescence?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

I guess you missed the part where I said it doesn't have the nose wire lol.

It's a decent sized boat and it's just us going out on it. No randoms or anything.

I was just at my pool and it's all social distance'd out and stuff, and when wearing my glasses at the pool with a mask on they never fogged up, which was odd. Maybe because it's a bit breezy and if that is the case, on the boat it will be breezy while we are moving.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Looking for any Shad?

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
10 Miles outside Albany NY. 95%+ mask and 6 ft separation w/floor markings inside business establishments. Outdoor, 85%+ mask is on, but not in place unless passing by others on city streets, but nearly all pull them up when passing others. I take mine off in parking lots and steer clear. I've been to a few distant NY destinations, as well as Mass and Vermont, same diligence rural, burbs citys, towns.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Striped Bass which are known as Rockfish around here.
Every time the Shad run happened, my grandmother would stuff and bake on the those suckers. Loved the flavor, nice rich oily fish, the kind most people don't like. Endless amounts of bones though.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Upstate NY, fingerlakes region. I haven't seen anyone not wearing a mask outside of pumping gas in months. Very strong compliance.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Western MA, generally compliant, but it took a month after the initial lockdown to happen really.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Eastern-ish MA: like cheeze most people are compliant, especially indoors where it required by state mandate. Outside not as much but I also live where the burbs meets the country (or the MA version thereof) so social distancing is easy. What threw me was I was working near the NH border last month, had to cross over to go to Home Depot for supplies. Damn near 1/2 of the EMPLOYEES weren't wearing masks and about a 1/3 of the customers weren't either.

At work I've been putting a strip of cloth or paper medical tape along the top of the mask. Stops foggin dead in it's tracks. Course with work, medical device engineering, that kind of tape is always handy on the job. Oh, and 100% compliance at work obviously...luckily we haven't had any ass-hat patients who refuse, at least not at any of the sites I've been to. Of course it's no mask, no scan so....

Reactions: purbeast0

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Went to the Post Office today. Saw 100% mask usage and attempts at social distancing. (Suburb of Houston TX)

I was shocked. Maybe the dire warnings are actually changing behavior.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
People in California must wear face coverings when they are in the high-risk situations listed below: Working in any space where food is prepared or packaged for sale or distribution to others; ... Persons with a medical condition, mental health condition, or disability that prevents wearing a face covering.

In my town you are supposed to carry a mask and wear it within 30 feet of strangers. I'm certain they are required in public indoor spaces. More and more people are wearing them outdoors. I have not been in an indoor public space since March 18.

Frankly I have not craved to be in the company of others during this time. I have, however, had quite a few dreams where I am.
Are you getting all your food delivered?

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
At one grocery store 80% wear a mask. At Walmart maybe 20%. All service/public facing workers are required to wear them at all times, and do so. No state or municipal requirement for general use. Very few people wear them outdoors. I am in a small city in the midwest. We had very low incidence until the middle of June, but now it is starting to pick up speed (idiots).

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
At one grocery store 80% wear a mask. At Walmart maybe 20%. All service/public facing workers are required to wear them at all times, and do so. No state or municipal requirement for general use. Very few people wear them outdoors. I am in a small city in the midwest. We had very low incidence until the middle of June, but now it is starting to pick up speed (idiots).
In this state you are only required to wear outside if you can't maintain social distancing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That mean Polis hurt their delicate freedumb loving fee-fees again-

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That mean Polis hurt their delicate freedumb loving fee-fees again-

Gotta love it... a politician with balls!

Edit: And brains!

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I guess you missed the part where I said it doesn't have the nose wire lol.

It's a decent sized boat and it's just us going out on it. No randoms or anything.

I was just at my pool and it's all social distance'd out and stuff, and when wearing my glasses at the pool with a mask on they never fogged up, which was odd. Maybe because it's a bit breezy and if that is the case, on the boat it will be breezy while we are moving.

yes, it seems that I stopped reading after the "fogs up my sunglasses" part lol

:D

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
So Cal here. Mask usage is usually pretty good except at Home Depot for some reason. There is always an idiot there without a mask.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
not
Northern NJ right near Manhattan. Perfect in stores minus an odd person here or there that doesn't have the mask over their nose. Quite a few people wear them while outside as well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk