Question What is the last series of (AMD) CPU's that would run windows 7

OldSchool7

Jan 5, 2022
To my little knowledge the new CPU's will only run windows 10, correct me if I'm wrong. I want to keep using 7 and looking for the last type of, AMD preferred, processors the will allow use of 7.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Last Intel CPU was Skylake, although there were beta Kaby Lake iGPU drivers released by Asus. Windows Update would lock itself down if you had an "unsupported" CPU.

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Windows 7 security update EOL was 14th of January 2020. Under no condition should you continue using Windows 7 on any computer that is connected to the internet. Continuing to use it would be monumentally insecure. If there is some reason you really do not want to move to a newer version of Windows, you should switch to Linux instead.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Windows 7 security update EOL was 14th of January 2020. Under no condition should you continue using Windows 7 on any computer that is connected to the internet. Continuing to use it would be monumentally insecure. If there is some reason you really do not want to move to a newer version of Windows, you should switch to Linux instead.
You could use a Virtual Machine and boot Linux

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

My Windows Media Center computers say otherwise. Yeah I'm not cruising the dark web, but EPG123 and some reputable streaming services keep them alive in my house.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Actually, I ran Windows 7 successfully on a Ryzen 5 2600x. I only moved to 10 because I needed reliable Bluetooth.

And furthermore, there was a story right here, on Anandtech, that explains how to do it: https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

Forget about the "limitations" from the industry. It's in their interest to make you buy new crap - just look at the Windows 11 CPU "requirements".

The only REAL hurdle is that it's hard to install Windows itself, since you may need a PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Also, a lot of modern games no longer support Windows 7. And the Radeon/Geforce drivers no longer are updated for it.

Reactions: NTMBK