What is the GRE like?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Some of the PA schools I am considering applying to require the GRE which I have not taken. Is this just another SAT test or is there more to it? What should I expect?

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
It's a major PITA. I assume you're talking about the general and not the subject. The subject is even worse from what I hear (I didn't take it myself).

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
How is it a PITA?

In my past I have taken the PSAT, SAT, MCAT & GMAT and have done very well - my mind is designed for standardized tests...

But I don't even know what kind of stuff is tested for the the GRE (yes, the standard one...)

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
How is it a PITA?

In my past I have taken the PSAT, SAT, MCAT & GMAT and have done very well - my mind is designed for standardized tests...

But I don't even know what kind of stuff is tested for the the GRE (yes, the standard one...)
I just found it mind-numbing but I didn't like any of those standardized tests I've had to take over the years. There's three parts: a verbal, quantitative, and a part where you have to write three essays. The whole thing is 3 or 4 hours IIRC.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
If you have no problem with MCATs and GMATs, you don't need to stress about the GRE. Sure you probably need to do some reviews and practice tests, but shouldn't be a problem for you.

AntMan530

Dec 22, 2000
Originally posted by: TuxDave
If you have no problem with MCATs and GMATs, you don't need to stress about the GRE. Sure you probably need to do some reviews and practice tests, but shouldn't be a problem for you.

Dam, i wished that I applied to me.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: TuxDave
Well the MCAT was over a decade ago. Most of those brain cells are dead ;)
The GMAT was more recent and I feel comfortable that those brains cells are still mostly with me...

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Maybe you should go sit down in B&N and take a practice test. I took the old one so I have no idea what the essay is all about.

2cool4u

Sep 19, 2001
By PA do you mean Pennsylvania or does PA stand for something else? If it stands for the state, DON"T GO THERE I live here and wouldn't go to grad school here if my life depended on it. But the GRE's are easy but the subjects are a huge PITA. I just got my chemistry ones back and i swear they mixed my scores up with a blind retarded monkey. Anyway, goodluck getting into school

GeneValgene

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2002
the quantitative section is at the same level as the SAT I from high school...almost identical actually

the verbal section is a bit more difficult that the SAT I, but nothing you can't prepare for. the main difference i can remember is that it had an antonyms section.

when i took it, there was an analytical section, but i believe they ahve replaced it with a writing section.

it's a computer based test, so take a couple on the computer (you can download a practice one off the website) to get comfortable with that. believe me, reading text on a computer is not the same as reading from a page.

just take practice tests, and you'll be fine.

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Disclaimer: I am about to finish my undergrad in engineering. I found the math section to be very easy since I have been doing lots of math classes and keeping that area sharp. I only missed one question because of a stupid mental slip that I knew as soon as I hit the button. Even an 800 in math is mid 90%. The verbal section was more difficult than the SAT for me. I think the word choice was a bit more difficult. The analysis section is writing two essays and is pretty boring. I blew it off and did ok with it still.

With what you said about the tests, I think you'll do fine on the two non-math parts. If you aren't too confident with the math section, run through some practice problems from their site or a book just to find their common tricks. They like to do little things that you can ignore in most real world situations but not in abstract problems such as negative numbers.

Edit: I agree with the guy right above me totally.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: 2cool4u
By PA do you mean Pennsylvania or does PA stand for something else? If it stands for the state, DON"T GO THERE I live here and wouldn't go to grad school here if my life depended on it. But the GRE's are easy but the subjects are a huge PITA. I just got my chemistry ones back and i swear they mixed my scores up with a blind retarded monkey. Anyway, goodluck getting into school

By PA school, I mean a Physician Assistant. More specifically, I would plan to become a Surgical PA. It is a two year program at which point I can get work anywhere in the country assisting surgeons in the OR and takng care of much of their pre-op and post-op responsibilities. I am currently thinking about making Cornell my first choice.

There are currently about 55,000 jobs for PAs in the country and this number is expected to grow by 50% in 5 years.

The job title implies a much lower level of responsibility that it truly entails.

Aug 14, 2001
It's very easy. The Quantitative (math) is very very very very easy - especially if you're at least somewhat decent at math. Should be fairly easy to get close to an 800. The verbal was difficult for me - but then again, I'm in engineering and engineers do fairly poor on the verbal. The essays that you have to write are alright and seems pretty easy to get a good score.

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
if you are a typical atot'er, you should get an 800 on the math, or minimum to minimum 790.
verbal is a PITA on the other hand

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
It's very easy. The Quantitative (math) is very very very very easy - especially if you're at least somewhat decent at math. Should be fairly easy to get close to an 800. The verbal was difficult for me - but then again, I'm in engineering and engineers do fairly poor on the verbal. The essays that you have to write are alright and seems pretty easy to get a good score.
w3ll, I shood r0x0rs on th3 v3b4l 2!