Question What is the easiest and safest way to update the BIOS of ASUS Z390 motherboard?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, my ASUS Z390 motherboard's BIOS can be updated via:

1. EZ Update under Windows;
2. ASUS EZ Flash 3;
3. ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3.

Which is the easiest and safest way?

P.S. My computer is connected to the internet via a usb wifi adapter. There is no ethernet connection in my place.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
First step is to ask yourself if you need to update the bios. I haven't updated a bios in years. When I did I downloaded the bios and used whatever boot system it called for. Used to be diskette. Then USB boot drive. I never trusted auto updating bioses from within windows or the web.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
First step is to ask yourself if you need to update the bios. I haven't updated a bios in years. When I did I downloaded the bios and used whatever boot system it called for. Used to be diskette. Then USB boot drive. I never trusted auto updating bioses from within windows or the web.

That is a very good question. In the following thread, I mentioned about occasional compatibility issue between the Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200CL14 and my motherboard. Given that it is such a popular RAM with Samsung b-die, I don't know if the issue is due to defective RAM or motherboard.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...d-for-asus-ws-z390-pro.2561722/#post-39747923

Yes, if the problem is not due to the motherboard and I update the BIOS, I may create new problems.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That is a very good question. In the following thread, I mentioned about occasional compatibility issue between the Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200CL14 and my motherboard. Given that it is such a popular RAM with Samsung b-die, I don't know if the issue is due to defective RAM or motherboard.

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...d-for-asus-ws-z390-pro.2561722/#post-39747923

Yes, if the problem is not due to the motherboard and I update the BIOS, I may create new problems.

You usually can flash back to the older BIOS version (you will need to look at the update notes for the BIOS updates and see if it has any notes stating that it will prevent you going back to an older version).

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
You usually can flash back to the older BIOS version (you will need to look at the update notes for the BIOS updates and see if it has any notes stating that it will prevent you going back to an older version).

Thanks. Perhaps I get a new RAM first and see if there is any issue. Which frequency and cl do you recommend?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Perhaps I get a new RAM first and see if there is any issue. Which frequency and cl do you recommend?

I only buy RAM on the memory or motherboard's QVL list, and I'm kind of cheap, so I doubt I would pay the premium for Samsung B-die RAM. I'd likely buy a CAS 15 or 16 DDR4 3000 -3200Mhz 16GB kit from Crucial, G Skill, or Corsair (in that order). There's no way I would pay the premium for anything faster than that for an Intel system, as there just isn't enough increase in performance to justify paying so much more for faster kits.

Although if your current kit is on G Skill's QVL list for your motherboard, I would update your BIOS and see if that fixes your issues.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
I only buy RAM on the memory or motherboard's QVL list, and I'm kind of cheap, so I doubt I would pay the premium for Samsung B-die RAM. I'd likely buy a CAS 15 or 16 DDR4 3000 -3200Mhz 16GB kit from Crucial, G Skill, or Corsair (in that order). There's no way I would pay the premium for anything faster than that for an Intel system, as there just isn't enough increase in performance to justify paying so much more for faster kits.

Although if your current kit is on G Skill's QVL list for your motherboard, I would update your BIOS and see if that fixes your issues.

Thanks. I have check Crucial. Interestingly, after typing my motherboard name, it lists ram below 3000Mhz. So I wonder if my motherboard is really as good as it is advertised.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
I personally haven't found a need to go over $200 for a motherboard when there are so many solid mid-range models to choose from. Heck, I got my Z270 Taichi for like $140 on sale and after mail in rebate.

Based on what I posted, do you think the Q-code 53 and BSOD are due to defective G.skill RAM, defective motherboard or just compatibility issue? Given that there is no 64GB RGB version of DDR4-3200C14, how about the 3466C16 which has frequency/cl ratio slightly below 3200C14? If there is nothing wrong with the G.Skill ram and my motherboard really cannot handle even 3200, I wonder if getting 3466 is risky.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's tough to say what the issue is. I'd start by updating the BIOS, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, order a kit from Crucial, as I think they are really good when it comes to their comp ability tools. Here are the DDR4 3200 kits that work with your board:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/ws-z390-pro

If you still have issues after getting the new RAM, then you know the issue is likely your motherboard. Running RAM at DDR4 3200Mhz speeds isn't that tough to do with Intel CPUs. Heck, I have all four of my memory slots occupied with modules, and the XMP switch works just fine with my Crucial DDR4 3200 RAM.

I personally don't see much reason to go any higher than DDR4 3200Mhz outside of "prosumer" builds like Threadripper or Intel X299 builds. That speed is about the best balance of $/performance you can get for the current gen builds.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232252&ignorebbr=1

I was thinking of getting a pair of those kits of DDR4-2400 (Aegis) GSkill RAM, 32GB kit for $149.99, cheapest name-brand 32GB kit that I've found, 64GB would be neat for Ryzen AM4 platform. Two kits would probably be pure overkill, but they would provide me a reasonable excuse for why my DRAM clock was at 2400, rather than 3000+.

Not that I really exceed 20GB of RAM usage. Maybe 24GB. 32GB would be plenty.

Maybe I could get one kit, and OC them? Stock is 1.2V, so they should have some headroom.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
It's tough to say what the issue is. I'd start by updating the BIOS, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, order a kit from Crucial, as I think they are really good when it comes to their comp ability tools. Here are the DDR4 3200 kits that work with your board:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/ws-z390-pro

If you still have issues after getting the new RAM, then you know the issue is likely your motherboard. Running RAM at DDR4 3200Mhz speeds isn't that tough to do with Intel CPUs. Heck, I have all four of my memory slots occupied with modules, and the XMP switch works just fine with my Crucial DDR4 3200 RAM.

I personally don't see much reason to go any higher than DDR4 3200Mhz outside of "prosumer" builds like Threadripper or Intel X299 builds. That speed is about the best balance of $/performance you can get for the current gen builds.

Yes, I used Crucial's RAM for my Mac about 15 years ago. They are good. Just no nice looking RGB.

One reason considering to go between 3200-3600 is for future proof since I am buying 64GB anyway. I may reuse the RAM when I upgrade to higher spec cpu and motherboard later.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes, I used Crucial's RAM for my Mac about 15 years ago. They are good. Just no nice looking RGB.

One reason considering to go between 3200-3600 is for future proof since I am buying 64GB anyway. I may reuse the RAM when I upgrade to higher spec cpu and motherboard later.

By the time you build again, we'll probably be on DDR5. :p

There's really no "future proofing" when building a PC. You build the PC based on what you need / want now, and then you watch all the new tech items come out during the years you use your PC. Then when you build your next PC, you worry about all the newer / cooler tech. A good example is the pace that NVMe keep improving in performance. Whatever one you choose today will be "obsolete" once PCIe 4.0 hits as the most recent NVMe drives have all but tapped out what PCIe 3.0 can offer.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Just put everything on default or optimized in your bios before flashing with EZ Flash, computer will reboot 2 or 3 times during flashing. Just let it do it's thing. If you overclock then you will have to reset all the settings manually again, so write down your settings before defaulting the bios before you actually flash it to the new one if you have overclocked settings applied in the old bios. Put the new bios file on a thumb drive of course. Pretty painless really..

Reactions: VirtualLarry