What is the deal with the Philippines? Is their electorate dumber than the US's?

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
First they elected Duterte, then went straight to Marcos Jr??

How mind-fucked is their electorate? Do they just not give a shit about the corruption of the Marcos family and just long for the "good ol' days"? looking forward to the next shoe collection

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

How mind-fucked is their electorate? Do they just not give a shit about the corruption of the Marcos family and just long for the "good ol' days"? looking forward to the next shoe collection
John Oliver did a good bit on it last Sunday. A lotta effective disinformation seems to be part of it for sure.

Reactions: nakedfrog and KMFJD

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
uh...you obviously dont understand the election process for president there. Typically, reps from each candidate will go house to house offering 5000php (100 USD) if they vote for whoever. Then a ballot is cast in that persons name for that candidate. Thats how it works there.

Reference: wife is pinay

edit: and the Marcos family is RICH.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
As thoroughly corrupted as the Philippines is, Bongbong and Duterte's daughter Sara are going to uphold that tradition and come up with fresh ideas on how to enrich themselves even further. Reminds me of how Jared and Ivanka had their own visions of grandeur succeeding daddy after his eight year stint.

And let's not ignore how Ferdi Marcos and Donald Trump share so much in common as far as how both saw the path to greatness lay in seizing absolute power of their respective nations.

Reactions: Lezunto and KMFJD

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011

Duterte probably made sense because he was an outsider when he was running for president and Duterte's approval rating is still high. Now his daughter is Marcos Jr's running mate.

Reactions: KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
uh...you obviously dont understand the election process for president there. Typically, reps from each candidate will go house to house offering 5000php (100 USD) if they vote for whoever. Then a ballot is cast in that persons name for that candidate. Thats how it works there.

Reference: wife is pinay

edit: and the Marcos family is RICH.

Never thought of it & I had no idea. Thank you for this knowledge.
No matter how much we all complain this is a great example of showing what we have works pretty well in comparison.

Reactions: Lezunto

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can definitely say many Filipinos aren't thrilled with the outcome. A colleague from the country really doesn't want Marcos Jr. — we both agreed that Pacquiao would've been a better pick!

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD and cytg111

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
There's a chunk of the Filipino population that pines for a delusional memory of "how it was when Marcos was in charge", similar to folks in Russia want the good ol' days of the U.S.S.R. back. Unfortunately, plenty of our species have memory spans that are more flea-like than human.

There was candidate who could have actually made things better, she lost of course.

Leni Robredo: The woman leading the Philippines' 'pink revolution' - BBC News

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Speaking for Americans, that old adage about throwing stones from glass houses applies. We, unfortunately, know all too well the power of disinformation on masses of morons, and how someone like Bongbong (great name btw) can be elected even after a disastrous administration ("Trump 2024"--I rest my case).

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I can definitely say many Filipinos aren't thrilled with the outcome. A colleague from the country really doesn't want Marcos Jr. — we both agreed that Pacquiao would've been a better pick!
you were joking right?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
People who speak out against the government or certain candidates there get straight up murdered in the street and the cops do nothing about it. They'll lie and say they were communists or something (as if that excuses it). So no one is left to check the rampant disinformation.

No shock this system heavily favors whoever the biggest a-hole is. Still pretty shocking they'd pick that horrible family again. That would be like Iraq voting for Saddam's cousin or something.

Reactions: nakedfrog

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

You haven't noticed? Worldwide intelligence is on the decline. I think it has something to do with fast food. /s

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I'd rather have a boxer (who now has years of real political experience, mind you) than the son of a former dictator who's bent on restoring his family's prominence.

Did the boxer come from a powerful family that has declared martial law for more than a decade? No? Then he is more qualified than Marcos Jr.
o k , sounds like the exact same reasoning that got Duterte elected , Marcos Jr is going to be a disaster for the Philippines , however having a populist, fervent evangelic christian as a president probably wouldn't have been much better

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
o k , sounds like the exact same reasoning that got Duterte elected , Marcos Jr is going to be a disaster for the Philippines , however having a populist, fervent evangelic christian as a president probably wouldn't have been much better

It's a Catholic country, so evangelical is probably not going to get to push too far.