What is the correct way to use Freesync?

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
Hello,

I have a LG 27MP68HM FreeSync monitor with 40 - 75 Hz as Freesync range. I want to know what is the correct way to use Freesync and what should I do with V-Sync in games?

Since I am happy with 1080p @ 60 Hz, right now I have limited Frames to 60 fps and V-Sync to always disabled in Radeon Control panel.

Then when playing a game, if it has support to configure FPS (such as Watch Dogs 2), I limit FPS there to 60 FPS and disable V-Sync.

If a game doesn't allow me to set FPS in-game, then it anyway runs at 60 fps due to Global settings in Radeon Control Panel and I disable V-Sync in game.

Is this ok or should I be doing something else?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Yup, just put your target framerate to 75 in driver profiles and enjoy better smoothness.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
You'll want to limit your framerate to your max Freesync framerate minus 2. So 73fps. You could try 74fps, but you will probably go over and see tearing.

Whenever possible, use in game frame rate limiting. CS:GO and Overwatch support this, for example. Most games do not. Otherwise use the AMD drivers which do add some latency, fyi.

Keep V Sync Off. If you did not limit framerates at all but had V Sync On, then it would engage when it hits 75 or higher, otherwise it would be off and use Freesync. You do not want to do this because then you have variable input lag. Better just to do the 73fps cap and have V Sync Off just in case.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Did you set the refresh rate in windows to 75hz? Most games dont have a hz setting and default to that.

rightclick on desktop, display settings, display adapter properties (clickable, bottom of the window), monitor.

If there's an ingame limiter available always use that, as it wil lower latency, a few frames below 75 is fine, if a game only has a 60 fps limiter I think it's still better than an external limiter on 73.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
You could always download MSI Afterburner with RTSS, and limit the framerate via RTSS.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Both AMD drivers and RTSS frame limiting add latency, but of course are preferable to V Sync for several reasons, mostly obvious to everyone.

I can't recall if anyone did a comparison of AMD drivers vs RTSS though.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Both AMD drivers and RTSS frame limiting add latency, but of course are preferable to V Sync for several reasons, mostly obvious to everyone.

I can't recall if anyone did a comparison of AMD drivers vs RTSS though.

This is why I'm not a fan of these half assed 75Hz free sync displays. 144-165hz, no frame limiter needed and you're highly unlikely to see any tearing even if you go past the refresh rate

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Radeon Chill is supported on all GCN Gen 2+ (Bonaire/Hawaii) cards.

You have to allow it in Global Wattman settings and then you can use it in game profiles.

img_06122016_090955_wesuej.png

maxresdefaultdrulp.jpg

Last edited:

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
Radeon Chill is supported on all GCN Gen 2+ (Bonaire/Hawaii) cards.

You have to allow it in Global Wattman settings and then you can use it in game profiles.

img_06122016_090955_wesuej.png

maxresdefaultdrulp.jpg

Thanks for informing me about this. I enabled Radeon Chill from Global settings but I don't see it in the profile of Witcher 3 even though it is a whitelisted game.

On the other hand, since Witcher 3 is locked to 60 fps, I have disabled V-Sync in game and set FPS to 60 in-game.

http://imgur.com/a/VbHBZ

VbHBZ

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
On the other hand, since Witcher 3 is locked to 60 fps, I have disabled V-Sync in game and set FPS to 60 in-game.

http://imgur.com/a/VbHBZ

I'm currently playing TW3 and I notice tearing even with the in-game frame limiter set to 60. It also doesn't feel as smooth. This is one of the few games where I will enable vsync, as it's so much smoother and I don't notice the input lag.

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
All right. I will enable V-Sync for Witcher 3 and see if it is needed.

I see Radeon Chill Option in Rise of the Tomb Raider so I wonder why it is not available for Witcher 3. I have the game of the year edition from Origin.

http://imgur.com/a/IBifl

Krteq

May 22, 2015
Try to remove that Witcher 3 game profile with Origin ID and create a new one with path to executable, it should works.

Chicken76

Jun 10, 2013
@gx_saurav

I have been looking at that monitor model and the specs list the vertical sync to be between 56 and 75 Hz. Do you have a specific submodel that goes down to 40Hz?

But I'd also like to know what is your impression of the monitor. What do you like about it? What do you think its downsides are?

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
@gx_saurav

I have been looking at that monitor model and the specs list the vertical sync to be between 56 and 75 Hz. Do you have a specific submodel that goes down to 40Hz?

But I'd also like to know what is your impression of the monitor. What do you like about it? What do you think its downsides are?

The specs for the model I have is 40 ~ 75 Hz.

There is no downside that I can think. Maybe a Quad HD model would have been sharper but that is about it. I had to spend 1 hour though in calibarating the color and gamma to my liking. Now, it is working fine.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Hello,

I have a LG 27MP68HM FreeSync monitor with 40 - 75 Hz as Freesync range. I want to know what is the correct way to use Freesync and what should I do with V-Sync in games?
Set the refresh rate 75hz instead of 60 through adapter settings in Win10. Otherwise you have a narrower range of freesync - 40-60 instead of 40-75 and your monitor might not support lfc although I could be wrong.
https://gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
Set the refresh rate 75hz instead of 60 through adapter settings in Win10. Otherwise you have a narrower range of freesync - 40-60 instead of 40-75 and your monitor might not support lfc although I could be wrong.
https://gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list

Refresh rate is set to 75 Hz in Windows so all games find maximum FPS at 75.

Radeon Chill has started showing after removing and adding Witcher 3 profile manually.
  • V-Sync is disabled in game.
  • In game FPS set to Unlimited
  • Chill Range is 45-72 fps.
So when standing still or moving slowly or during a cut scene, FPS drops to 45 and while I play, fps moves up tp 72 which is still under the Freesync range.

So Now I am playing a game with lower power consumption and still smooth frame rate.