What is the cheapest decent CPU cooling solution for socket 939?

hotarri

Aug 9, 2001
I just ordered an OEM Athlon 64 X2 4200+ socket 939 from newegg as a drop in upgrade to my Athlon 64 2400+. I was originally thinking that I would use the heatsink that originally came with the retail version of my 2400+. Is this still a viable option or is a significantly better solution in the sub $50 range?

Thanks in advance for the help.

imported_OrSin

Jul 15, 2004
Thier are several upgrades for under $50.
Do you plan on OC?
If not the your curretn HSF will work fine.
Even if you do OC it will still work ok, but it will not get to higher levels.

Do you care about noice level?
Your current HSF is no quiet (not really loud either)
If you just want quiet thier are several for that too.

Really I would say keep what you got and only get something else if you need something in like higher OC or quieter systems. YOu can also keep an out for deals in the other forums and when some of the better HSF goes on sale grab it up then.

hotarri

Aug 9, 2001
Probably not going to over clock, but I may at some point.

I think I'll go ahead and stick with the stock HSF that came with my 2400+ and get some decent thermal paste for now and keep on the look out for a better HSF at a decent price.

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
just for amusement, if u (carefully) scrape the coating off the legs of the green thermistor on the hub of stock fan, and then wrap a single strand of copper wire around the legs, the fan will run at full speed... u can then use the bios fan control or speedfan to regulate the fan speed... the stock fan will run up to 5k rpm this way... it's a bit noisy at that level, but it sure extends the reach of the stock hsf when needed...