What IS the centrino?

mrgoblin

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
I know its supposed to be a wifi chip and such but how fast is it? 1.7 is equiv to what? Whats the fsb or is it like something different? Would I be able to put a centrino in a shittle for example? The reason I ask is because it would run very cool and im sure it would overclock somewhat. Would make a great lan machine if I can just go wifi and have virtually no cables besides the monitor and ir port for cordless duo. Thanks

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Centrino is a brand name for the Pentium M + Intel WiFi, if I recall correctly. The Pentium M is a good preformer.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Centrino is a technology package from Intel that provides built-in wireless support for laptop computers while making it possible to run a laptop all day (up to seven hours) without a battery recharge. Through Centrino, Intel hopes to encourage corporations and users to replace their current laptops with a newer, more mobile version. Analysts suggest that a more mobile laptop may in time replace the desktop computer as well.
The Centrino package consists of:

The Pentium M processor
The 855 chipset Family
The PRO/Wireless network connection
In addition to a 400 MHz system bus and a 1 MB L2 cache, the M processor has the ability to use only the voltage that applications demand. The 855 Chipset supports up to 2 GB of double data rate (DDR) memory and USB 2.0 for faster data transfer. The PR/Wireless connection supports Wi-Fi (802.11b) and power functions designed to maximize battery life.

One industry commentator reports an experience of up to seven hours of battery-supported use on an IBM Thinkpad.

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
Laptop CPUs aren't upgradeable. Alienware is the only company that offers modular parts in a laptop (aside from the normal items) with their Video cards (and this isn't available yet that I'm aware of, I just know it's a technology they're working on).

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: RoninCS
Laptop CPUs aren't upgradeable. Alienware is the only company that offers modular parts in a laptop (aside from the normal items) with their Video cards (and this isn't available yet that I'm aware of, I just know it's a technology they're working on).

Actually most laptop CPUs are upgradeable. Unless we're talking about the tiniest tier laptops, all CPUs are in a ZIF socket similar to a dektop. I plan on popping in a Pentium-M 1.6+ in place of my 1.3 sometime in the next few months. Most Dell heavyweights (Inspiron 8x00 Latitude Dxxx series) also have upgradeable video.

Although the signaling and bus is the same, you cannot replace a Celeron/Pentium-4M with a Pentium-M. The best you can do is a Pentium-4M.

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
I thought about it, and wouldn't the BIOS have to be compatible? If the cpu uses less juice, wouldn't vcore have to be set in the bios or at least be capable of a lower voltage?

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: sniperruff
i think upgrading a laptop's CPU is very possible, considering the chipsets are compatible

Actually they arent. The Pentium-4M's are 845PM's where as the Centrinos are 855PMs.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: madthumbs
Possible to upgrade a 2.2Ghz celeron to a centrino in a laptop?

No, because the 2.2 Ghz Celery is based on the Pentium 4, whereas the pentium M is a different(socket 370?) socket.