What is the best version of MS word on windows

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
I don't know how else you'd answer this question other than simply "the newest" if you don't already own it.

rayclement

Jul 22, 2015
Is there a particular reason why you're asking this question, e.g. are you experiencing a specific problem?

No i am a person who wants to write. I was thinking about buying a new or old system to write on. Yes i want to be a writer

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
No i am a person who wants to write. I was thinking about buying a new or old system to write on. Yes i want to be a writer

It doesn't matter if all you're thinking of doing is writing; just make sure you keep a backup copy of your files on say a memory stick.

If you don't have a word processor installed, you could try LibreOffice (www.libreoffice.org) - it's free. Though, depending on your needs, you may not even need that, as WordPad comes with every version of Windows (I don't remember a version that it didn't come with). WordPad is really basic though, for example it doesn't have spell-check IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: corkyg

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
From a pure feature standpoint 2016 offers all of the latest features including automatic cites when you copy and paste material from other sources. I used it as part of my office 360 subscription which expired so I had to drop back to 2010 until a software conflict allows me to move back up to 2013 or the university gets the 2016 pro plus version.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
As far as basic writing tasks, I would challenge you to find a tangible different between Word 97 and Word 2016 (not that you would go back that far). Sure menus have changed over the years (most notably the ribbon), but for basic writing tasks it's all there, no matter what version you choose. If you want to integrate HTML, links, images, GIFs, etc, get the latest version available. Office 2013 and up require Windows 7 or better. Go back further and you are good back to XP.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I hate being on office 10 pro plus because I cannot open more than one excel spreadsheet at a time and the imap sync in outlook derps out too often.

lucia

Jan 12, 2015
In my old laptop bought in 2009, Office 2007 still works well for me. If it ain't broke, won't fix it