What is the best recent X-Com UFO Defense clone?

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Looking to get my xcom fix without having to deal with the hardships of getting it to work in dosbox. I know there have been commercial efforts to capitalize on the fanbase of the original game (one company in particular, iirc).

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
UFO: Extraterrestrials is a clone of X-Com, just with updated graphics. I bought an "import version" on eBay for about $15. It came in Russian language packaging and the installation part was Russian too, but the game is in English.

You should check out the following site for mods and tips:
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/forum/index.php

There's even a mod where you can add the aliens from X-Com in all their original glorious pixelated sprites!

DeckardBlade

Feb 10, 2004
I just set the original up running in dosbox this week and it didn't take much effort (biggest issue was installing it without using a physical floppy drive and that's quickly/easily remedied), if you'd like some help with that shoot me a PM since I mostly lurk.

On a personal note, I've played 2 or 3 of the newer clones (not extra terrestrials however) and they never have the same feel.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
UFO: Extraterrestrials is a clone of X-Com, just with updated graphics. I bought an "import version" on eBay for about $15. It came in Russian language packaging and the installation part was Russian too, but the game is in English.

You should check out the following site for mods and tips:
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/forum/index.php

There's even a mod where you can add the aliens from X-Com in all their original glorious pixelated sprites!

UFO:Extratterrestrials is a decent game(I'm still playing it in Vista),another "XCOM clone" that is free and worth a try is UFO:Alien Invasion ,link.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
If you just mean something in a similar style, there's plenty of WW2 tac op games.
And I'm always of the opinion that fallout tactics at least deserves a try.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
You can also try the GBA game (I forgot what it was called off the top of my head). It was made by the original created of X-com.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
UFO: Enemy Unknown (much better game title than X-Com UFO Defense) was a classic. I watched my dad play it on the Amiga for hours on end, I was always too impatient and rather creeped by Chrysilids to play it.

When I finally got my PC, I tried X-Com Terror From The Deep and really enjoyed it even though I still had no grasp of tactics.

UFO Aftershock or Afterlight (cant remember which) was one game I played and it just feels so far away from the UFO: Enemy Unknown we all grew up with and knew. Like RTSes, I dont think something like C&C3 has a patch on the Grand daddy of all RTSes, Dune II: Battle For Arrakis.