What Is The Best MMORPG?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My favorite to this day is SWG before Player Jedi/Hologrind. Nothing against player jedi, but the hologrind seriously caused a huge disturbance in the force.

From my experience of playing MMO's from SWG to EQ2 to DDO to LOTRO to WOW - What makes any MMO "the best" depends mainly upon who you play with - not what you do in the game as most MMO's use the same style of game mechanics. Find a group you enjoy playing the game with and you'll soon find yourself doing nothing else but playing that MMO. :)

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I really enjoyed playing WoW. If I had tons of free time I'd still play it daily. Working a full time job, a second near full time job, and taking classes fulltime isn't conducive to any MMO. I think, though, what makes MMOs fun is playing with people you enjoy. Without my friends to play WoW with me, I'm not sure if I'd still enjoy it as much.

cdmccool

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2006
Originally posted by: brandonb
DAOC - Don't remember, beta tested it for a few weeks. All I remember is the graphics were above the other things out there, but the game was completely linear. You fought these mobs at lvl 7, fouight these mobs at lvl 8... They just huddled in groups and didn't really roam or anything. I'd say this is the start of where MMORPG startted to take a different turn to the worse. Not at all immersive, felt mechanical.

DAOC is all about the RvR combat, or PvP. The PvE does become more complex later in the game, but it is never the primary focus.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Eve is boring unless you find people to play with. If you get involved in a corporation(guild) it becomes more interesting i've been p[laying for a few months now and I still enjoy it.

Of course, if you piss the wrong person off before you get your feet wet...you might just get WFBBQpwned for a week or two if he has friends that want to camp you...you aren't safe anywhere except when you are docked at a NPC station.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
We had hundreds of players on an old-school MUD I used to play so I guess that makes it massive?? Medievia. :) After that, I played everything from EQ to WoW. Shadowbane was great but the code was ridiculously flawed. AO had so much potential but by the time they fixed it the mass exodus had already occurred. WoW did it right pretty much from the start so to me it has to be the best... and that is why I still play it.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Ultima online was awesome because it was new to me and to most of the original players. The community helped each other, there were no arrows telling you where to go, there were no brady guides giving you equip builds. It was awesome. EQ was great because it took things to another level and made a immersive world that would take years to explore and to do all the content. FF11 was amazing and still has lot of life left. The battle system in FF11 is good, the grind is awful and the crafting and economy was amazingly deep, it took me 2 years to max 3 crafts spending hours and hours a week. Once my 3 mules and 1 alt account had maxxed crafts and I could dual box-farm and craft I was one rich SOB in that game, never fore or since did I really feel a sense of accomplishment in a game as when I hit 100 fishing on FF11 or when I made 400 Million Gil during the xmas rush of 2005.

Ive beta'd WOW, LOTR and a bunch of others and I thought LOTR had the most promise, but in the end they made it too easy. I didnt get too far after launch but the quests lost the charm after a while for me, I wanted a darker look at the LOTR universe.

I wish Warhammer online was set in the 40k universe.

Ive been toying with hellgate london as of late to break my addiction to FF11 and havent played in over 4 months.....It may be time to quit, but all the hard work and friends make it hard.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I'm playing Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) and having a blast. Unfortunately, the PvP is basic and Sorcerors and Wizards have been eviscerated (i.e. can't cast certain spells) to keep the playing field "level."

The single-player is designed to eliminate "grinding" and let's you jump into any Instance in the world within 5 minutes, unlike games like WoW where you can spend half an hour just traveling there.

The game also has a very dynamic combat system, which blows WoW away. I can't comment on any other MMORPG since DDO and WoW are the only ones I've really tried.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I can't believe there is no love for Anarchy Online! There's a good amount of content that's perfectly free. Yes, the graphics are dated, but as far as depth of game goes, I think it's impossible to beat AO. And it has some of the best PvP around.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
For hardcore gaming, I think L2 was the best in its prime (especially in Korea).

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
A note on wow: I have played it alot, i find its really alot of the same thing. I have noticed that people generally dont have fun in wow. Its a constant reward system were you play some more get something new. PVP sucks pretty bad not much thinking involved its most gear dependent (i know people will say its not but clicking a spell/ability doesnt take skill) where the longer you play the better gear you get. Quests are very simple keep you wanting more levels/items/abilities.

Honesty i used to play alot of shooters/rpgs/strategy(warcraft, star, CC) but after wow i stopped playing most games and no longer find them fun. I wouldnt get into wow i dunno what it is about it but it locks you in.

LOTRO felt exactly like wow i only played for a week or so. Had same interface it was def wow clone. Maybe has some cool new things though.

Lineage 2 i heard is really fun pvp hard to level.

Cienja

Aug 27, 2007
www.inconsistentbabble.com
I started with DAoC. I loved it. Something happened though, and I got very bored with it. I started playing WoW about a year ago and love it. When I get bored with it, I work on cooking or fishing. When I'm bored with that, I do PvP, then PvE. My point is that there is enough in WoW to keep you busy and not bored (IMO).

Good luck!

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
IMO, if you want a game purely for PVP, then play Shadowbane. But, you have to understand that most people playing it now have been playing it for a while.. and you will suck.. and your first few characters will be gimp as all hell.. and you'll die a lot.. and cry like a baby..

but if you stick with it, you'll figure out how to make better characters, kill more people, and handle any situation..

It's my favorite game I've ever played..

It's free now, btw.

Nda

Sep 5, 2004
First MMO for me was NexusTK, had a Il-san Poet and I quit after I got carpal tunnel, yea healing people in that game was hardcore and crazy.

Second was DAoC, excellent game, very very fun and I still have fond memories for that. Had a warden and eldritch on Bedevere server, i lost interest after artifact and master level expansion introduced (hear that Mythic, ToA kills it).

Third was Lineage2, good graphic, still is i think, your character is great looking, armor, weapons are great and detailed. Leveling was harsh, and you basically got to get into good guild to progress decently past 50+

Fourth was WoW, quit after it got stagnant. I enjoyed quite abit, but still to me, my best experience was in DAoC. Those midnight relic raid, those midnight tower defense (pre-SI, pre-TOA, pre-New Frontier) though, i don't really like the new frontier although some good system are implemented there. I love the old frontier.

Yea, DAoC to me was the funnest i've ever had with MMO. Two days in a row in cursed forest levelling with buddies going from 49 to 50 lol, and then off to spellcraft for new suit before heading to RvR was the best. So far no game has the same feeling like that, and getting to 50 was just the beginning in RvR lol. Let's talk about 8vs8 or 80vs80vs80 before the server crash lol. I think the most lag i ever had was at relic raid when 50vs60vs30 defender.

Good game.

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
SWG before the NGE (New Gaming Experience), as I miss being a Bounty Hunter and trying to collect bounties on Jedi.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I'm really enjoying eve. My corp is currently at war, and the pvp experience has been one of the most tactical I've seen. Nothing like actually being useful in pvp 3 days into the game. Not to mention the sight of of the fleet.

livingsacrifice

Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: coloumb
My favorite to this day is SWG before Player Jedi/Hologrind. Nothing against player jedi, but the hologrind seriously caused a huge disturbance in the force.

q]

That's exactly what I was going to say my favorite was/is, used to play that 24/7 and when they changed it I didn't want anything to do with it anymore. They lost a bunch of people after that. I read some website where they were trying to get an old patch version running again so people could play.

But I went from SWG to WOW to GW back to WOW and eh... I like WOW but it doesn't fill the same shoes that the old SWG did. Still a great game, it does take up way too much time. I've played a bunch of other MMOs in the past but none of them stuck with me longer than 5 levels of gameplay. Oh and I have Hellgate London but never really play it either.

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
What do you mean by best? As far as numbers and subscribers, WOW still holds that spot.

Metron

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Daverino
I can't believe there is no love for Anarchy Online! There's a good amount of content that's perfectly free. Yes, the graphics are dated, but as far as depth of game goes, I think it's impossible to beat AO. And it has some of the best PvP around.

Man I miss Anarchy Online!

It was my first MMO, and I spent probably 3 years playing off an on from 2002 to 2005. Rich content, and I played through the Notum Wars, Shadowlands, and Alien Invasion expansions (totally missed Lost Eden). I had dozens of characters, though my favorite was a MetaPhysicist I leveled up to 208. I always favored Clan characters over Omni.

I can remember defending our guild plots (long live Valor Eternal!) during the Notum Wars... the whompas being on top of the shop in the center of Tir... hunting down Tarasque the dragon in Avalon... hunting Cyborgs... great parties at Reet's... PVP at the ring in Tir, or in the bar in northern wastelands ( I can't recall the name! )... hunting for FRN to make Tier 3 armor in Shadowlands... defending your guild city from alien attack, and then boarding their ships! Many in my guild were also DJ's on GridStream radio, so it was always fun to have tunes and commentary from Gridstream as well as guild chat. Many people used TeamSpeak to coordinate large raids.

My favorite moment was defeating a 200+ level agent with my sub-200 MP in the streets of Old Athens.

SWG came out and started to drain people away, but when WOW came out the population was severely depleted. The throngs of people who used to hang out for pick up teams at the south gate of Tir just weren't there anymore.

I may just have to unfreeze my account...

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I've played a large number of MMORPGs and most did not interest me very much... these are the ones I recall :
Shadowbane - Nothing but a gankfest, griefing was not only encouraged but the goal of the game
Anarchy Online - It was so buggy at release it did not do as good as it should have since it was quite fun
Dark Age of Camelot - Most linear of all games ever released
Asheron's Call 1 - Craptastic graphics but the game was fun
Asheron's Call 2 - The developers killed the game (It showed # of players, their pvp server had 10-20 on during peak hours)
Everquest 1 - Long long grindfest, but the game was like crack cocaine to nearly everyone who played it
Everquest 2 - Probably has a larger world than all games here, not for everyone
World of Warcraft - I liked the game, the look and feel of it but quit due to the community being too stupid
Star War Galaxy - I played when it was new so there was very little to do!
Eve - I don't like space sims but I'm hearing it doing so much better than back in those days

Anyways... I play Everquest 2 and have played since release. The latest expansion is not much fun and turned the 70-80 game into WoW junior but folks who like it will usually stay there a long time.

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
i restarted EQ2 beacuse of the new expansion, got my warlock to 50 and got bored.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Runescape is now Ruinedscape...
This games is absolutely horrible now... They keep screwing up the game in the name of "defeating the gold farmers"

No more wilderness... GAH!!!!

Bleeding Jawa

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
1st Choice = Anarchy Online. Possibly the worst launch in MMO history, but also the best comeback. It's complexity beats the pants off just about anythihng out there, and they are regularly pumping out lots of new free quality-content after almost 7 years on the market. I can't wait to see what Funcom does with Age of Conan when it comes out in March.

2nd Choice = Anything that is NOT WoW. Man, the forced-questing just sucked all of the fun out of it for me. In fact, I think I quit the game at level 59.5 (before expansion) and didn't even finish off 60 since I was so bored. Now everyone is copying this dumbed-down cartoon and ruining the genre. I don't know if we'll ever see another truly challenging MMO again since WoW has drawn in such a wide player base, the more "serious" MMO players are now a small minority. The huge success of this title has also made it harder for smaller (and more inovative) games to even make it to market. There have been a lot of casualties recently.

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Originally posted by: effee
EVE's a different game from most MMOs...been passing time with EQ2 and EVE.
Yes eve is probably one of the best out there, but you must be ok with makeing a living from mining for awhile at the beginning before you fight anything.....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Feneant2
I've played a large number of MMORPGs and most did not interest me very much... these are the ones I recall :
Shadowbane - Nothing but a gankfest, griefing was not only encouraged but the goal of the game
Anarchy Online - It was so buggy at release it did not do as good as it should have since it was quite fun
Dark Age of Camelot - Most linear of all games ever released
Asheron's Call 1 - Craptastic graphics but the game was fun
Asheron's Call 2 - The developers killed the game (It showed # of players, their pvp server had 10-20 on during peak hours)
Everquest 1 - Long long grindfest, but the game was like crack cocaine to nearly everyone who played it
Everquest 2 - Probably has a larger world than all games here, not for everyone
World of Warcraft - I liked the game, the look and feel of it but quit due to the community being too stupid
Star War Galaxy - I played when it was new so there was very little to do!
Eve - I don't like space sims but I'm hearing it doing so much better than back in those days

Anyways... I play Everquest 2 and have played since release. The latest expansion is not much fun and turned the 70-80 game into WoW junior but folks who like it will usually stay there a long time.

even is nothing like a space sim. it might be a good game if it was.