What is the best head-to-head fighting video game?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Dead or Alive 1 and 2 because the girls are HOT :D:p:Q

hehe anyways, I would have to say Marvel vs Capcom 2. It is more than just a normal fighting game, it is more interesting and strategy with 3 different characters to play with and the power ups. I love the power ups to kick some ass

Spac3d

diskop

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Guilty Gear X and Last Blade 2 are very nice. LB2 especially if you're a Kenshin fan :)

imported_vr6

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2001
Definitly Tekken4. I was Untouchable at SF2, but it was quite boring after a while. Tekken 4 is so deep, i can play it for hours straight at the arcade. The original X-men vs StreetFighter was good, but the ones afterthat was boring, no innovation at all.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Street Fighter 2, and all the rest of those sf vs. marvel games rocks. God knows how much money I spent on those when I was yonger.

I never really got into Teken, soul caliber and all the rest. never liked them

natopotato

Jun 15, 2001
while it isn't really a fighting game like SF2 or the like, i really like super smash bros melee for the gamecube. very balanced, easy controls, lots of characters.

max105

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I'll have to nominate Street Fighter 2 also. It was probably the only reason why I bought SNES when it first came out.

Justin218

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2001
Marvel vs Capcom 2 would be my favorite. Dreamcast is great cheap console for all the fighters :)

PeeluckyDuckee

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
I have SF2Turbo, SSF, and SSFA for the SNES. I think I got the names right. Among all the series, SF2Turbo is my favourite. I mainly use Ken, Akuma, or Ryu. Sometimes Guile. Used to be able to do all those crazy combos, now my hands and fingers feel like they're dead, not as fast nor flexible as they used to be. Spent way too many quarters at the arcades. Much fun to play against skilled competitors I may say, even if I lose.

Never did like Mortal Kombat, nor did I care for the block button. But they did well for themselves and stole some of SF series thunder, imo.

Plucky

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
I have SF2Turbo, SSF, and SSFA for the SNES. I think I got the names right. Among all the series, SF2Turbo is my favourite. I mainly use Ken, Akuma, or Ryu. Sometimes Guile. Used to be able to do all those crazy combos, now my hands and fingers feel like they're dead, not as fast nor flexible as they used to be. Spent way too many quarters at the arcades. Much fun to play against skilled competitors I may say, even if I lose.

Never did like Mortal Kombat, nor did I care for the block button. But they did well for themselves and stole some of SF series thunder, imo.

Plucky

They have Akuma in Street Fighter 2 Turbo!?!?!? how! :Q Wow, I thought I knew every single secret in the game..... but yea, I like to use Ken the most. Dragon punch is the best!

uclaxman

Dec 31, 2001
Ryu has to be the best character from all the versions...

Guile was pretty badass in the original version...

Bimmer318i

Golden Member
Apr 1, 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Tekken 3

Viper GTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hell yea!!!!!!!!

Another in agreement....I got it runnin in my brothers car with the PS, it's great to pass the time :D..

FSUpaintball

Banned
Jun 12, 2001
There is no "best" fighter.

The best 2d fighter is Marvel vs Capcom 2

The best 3d strategy-fighter is between DoA2 and Soul Calibur. I prefer Soul Calibur. The controls are more easy and intuitive, and you've got weapons, which adds a lot of replayability and interesting matchups.

Notice how all of these are on the Dreamcast!!!