What is the best bootloader for Windows 10, Linux and perhaps also Mac OS?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, what is the best boot loader for Windows 10, Linux and perhaps also Mac OS? If possible, something simple to use (like Boot Magic 20 years ago) yet have nice looking GUI.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
EasyBCD is the easiest to use with the most guides available,there is a free version for private use.
It's basically a GUI for windows's own BCDstore that you would have to configure with CMD commands otherwise.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks but the problem right now is that I cannot boot into Windows to install it so that I can have Windows appearing as an option in the Boot loader.

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Maybe this can Help.

https://alternativeto.net/software/easybcd/?platform=linux

Or start fresh by installing Win 10 first. Add it it EasyBCD, then install Linux and adjust the installation on Windows to give a choice at the Boot.

I tried rEFInd and it did not list Windows.

Am I correct that if I install Windows first on a drive. Then, disconnect the drive from the PC and install Linux on another drive. Then, put back the first drive to the PC. By doing so, I will avoid mess like this?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Am I correct that if I install Windows first on a drive. Then, disconnect the drive from the PC and install Linux on another drive. Then, put back the first drive to the PC. By doing so, I will avoid mess like this?

Yeah that would work nice.

You make two independent Drives. Set the BIOS to start with Window as C:, install EasyBCD on Windows and put second entry to EasyBCD Directing it to D: that Linux will be On it.

You can config EasyBCD to start with either of the drives as Default and change it as you like.

:cool:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you're talking about a Hackintosh, Clover is commonly used as a macOS bootloader (only for newer UEFI systems).
It would be installed on the macOS drive, and would also provide a boot menu, which is able to "see" other system drives, such as Windows or Linux.
Clover: https://gitlab.com/Syncanvas/build_clover/tree/master/build
Note: it would be best/simplest to keep separate operating systems on separate physical drives.
Set the bios options to boot first from the macOS drive, and then Clover would auto-detect any other bootable drives that are present, and display a menu for selecting the operating system to boot from.

Last edited:

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Separate drives.

I have Win10, Win7, and Zorin installed on 3 different SSD's.
Just turn on the computer and mash the boot device menu.....although it would be easier for me if I could actually 'label' the drives something meaningful , rather than have to remember 'The 3rd one down on the list is Win7'