What is the bare minimum specs on an HDMI out comp?

RedVetteZ06

Mar 23, 2005
Hi guys,

I have a 42' 1080p TV in my office waiting room and I want to run a computer on it so that I can play educational videos, movies, meetings, powerpoint slides, seasonal videos, etc.. I'm wondering what the minimum specs would be for a comp to accomplish this without it being incredibly slow. I have a two year old pre-built HP that I could use but I'm pretty sure (I haven't looked yet to confirm) that it's power supply is only ~200watts which is insufficient for any HDMI out cards I have come across on NewEgg.

I'm kinda torn as to what I should do at this point. If I try to upgrade the current PC I have to get a better powersupply (it's expensive for the proprietary ones) and a new vid card and hope everything is kosher and works properly. I could buy a low-end PC new but I wonder if it will have HDMI out at a ~$300-400 price. Or, I could build a new one using new parts and parts I already have. I could provide the HD (standard size), the Kb/M, and the monitor but would probably have to buy all the other parts. Any thoughts?

Sorry I just saw the "mimmum poster requirements" thread. I live in the US (Alaska actually) and want to spend as little as possible but don't have a budget per se. I also have done very little reading and/or computer building since about 2004 so I am not sure about a lot of the newer technology (SLI, etc.).

RedVetteZ06

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks bud. Just out of curiosity, would I be able to run a monitor AND the TV at the same time with that Gigabyte card (the 1st link you gave me) or would I have to use a TV out card for that?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I recently built and tested a rig to see if a cheap rig could do HDMI well.

Used a Biostar TA790GX mb with HDMI out, an Athlon X2 245, 2gb DDR2 800.

Hooked it up to a 65" DLP TV and a 15" LCD monitor. Used the monitor to setup the output in the ATI control center. Played Spiderman 3 in the DVD burner in the rig, then played Soldier of Fortune 3. Both did fine, displaying on the monitor and TV simultaneously.

Caught the cpu on sale for $60, and the mb for $70ar.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
im guessing 2 years old = ~penitum dual-core/athlon64X2 class computer.

if the hp has a pcie slot, i would suggest upgrading to a minimum of 3gb of memory and picking up a ati hd2400/3450/4350 card. these cards may or may not feature a built in hdmi port, but if not does include an adapter for the dvi port to hdmi and also passes audio through the hdmi cable, retaining all of the function.

i would also advise staying away from the full blown 1080p resolution setting, go ahead and run 720p and let the tv upscale the picture for you. it will be less of a burden on the system and at 1080p im sure that text may be represented in a smaller size than you would like for the application. i doubt you can tell the difference of any video from a distance anyway.