What is the ABSOLUTE QUIETEST HSF?

MaxFusion16

Golden Member
Dec 21, 2001
I have an amd athlon xp 1800 system, and the retail HSF is killing me, I can't stand the noise. Not only that, there is a slight viberation from the fan, I can even feel it sitting in my seat. I've decide to get a new HSF, and I want the ABSOLUTE QUIETEST HSF avaible.
My current temp is around 35c
thanks
:)

dunkster

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
Recommend you buy a very efficient heatsink (8045 or AX-7) and install a quiet 80mm fan on it.

If you don't overclock, a cheap Panaflo L1A would be fine.

More cool = more airflow = louder.

Hope this helps!

Phunktion

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
Quiet has nothing to do with the heatsink.. only the fan you choose to use with it..

Edit: Quietest combo I know of.. Papst Ultra Quiet 80mm with the Alpha PAL8045.. expensive but effective cooling power with no audible noise unless you stick your head next to the fan all day :)

Laughingman

Nov 21, 2000
Glaciator - From review, "Noise levels on each were below my sound meter's limits, so I'll affirm that they are indeed low noise, with the very low noise model being almost whisper quiet".

Radio shacks sound meters bottom out at 50 dBA (OC.COM measures 8" inches from inlet) Delta 38's measure 68 per the same method. that's better than an 18 dBA reduction over a D 38 and only a degree off an SK6 if you are not overclocking.......

Delta 38's per manufacturers spec are 46 dBA. 46 - 18 = < 28 dBA. - That level is equal to the background noise of a quiet home. Your other components like the HDrive and case fans will be louder

Ax7 @ equal noise is no better than the glaciator anyway Noise pollution turns $80 heatsinks into $30 heatsinks Not when you use a constant for comparison

Cheaper than an AX7 with fan and fits all motherboards.

Neurofreeze

May 12, 2001
From the second link in the previous post:

Heatsink "detuning" for noise (by using lower rpm fans) effectively throws money out the window. If you buy an $80 heatsink and couple it with a 3000 rpm, 80mm fan to decrease noise, effectively you turn it into a $30 heatsink (like buying a Ferrari and never going over 55mph).

This review is insane. $80? More like $30 without a fan ($28 at newegg.com). A Panaflo (the 21dB one, L1A I think) is what? Four bucks? The AX-7 is designed for low RPM fans, yet its design also allows it not to be a slouch with high RPM fans. The Glaciator II seems to be going for around $30-35 with the fan. Cheaper? Hardly. Try throwing out both the AX-7 and Glaciator II's stock fans and putting some quality fans on it, you'll see the difference between 70mm and 80mm fans (that is, if you can find quality 70mm fans, I don't really see many manfacturers pumping them out).

Laughingman

Nov 21, 2000

I think you missed the point of the article- A Swiftech at newegg runs $67.00 + shipping $6.00 is pretty close to $80.00. The Alpha Is $41.00 including shipping. Thermalright SLK-600 $45.00 w/shipping. Higher performance sinks cost more and the AX7 and Glaciator are on parity cost wise for performance/noise. Give or take a dollar I stand corrected

If you looked at the curves in the article " designed for low speed fans" make little sense, just follow the curve it appears to hold true for all heat sinks

Not sure of your point on fans. The Glaciator does the same noise/performance with a 60mm vs Ax7 80mm with half the heat sink size and less airflow. Kind of settles the copper vs cu/al hybrid which is better debate, especially when the Thermalright SLK-600 is compared to the AX7

The point of the article was to introduce a constant in heat sink comparisons so you could compare non homologous sinks and filter out the leaf blower effect vs actual performance.

By quality do you mean high speed? Otherwise if you compare 80X25 mm or 60/25mm fans at the same fan speed 99% are within 5% on cfm performance and a couple of dB noise wise most are of a quality that will oulast most overclockers systems these are commodity items. 50,000 hrs MTBF is usually the min. you see
This review is insane. $80? More like $30 without a fan ($28 at newegg.com). A Panaflo (the 21dB one, L1A I think) is what? Four bucks? The AX-7 is designed for low RPM fans, yet its design also allows it not to be a slouch with high RPM fans. The Glaciator II seems to be going for around $30-35 with the fan. Cheaper? Hardly. Try throwing out both the AX-7 and Glaciator II's stock fans and putting some quality fans on it, you'll see the difference between 70mm and 80mm fans (that is, if you can find quality 70mm fans, I don't really see many manfacturers pumping them out

Neurofreeze

May 12, 2001
The article exagerated beyond belief. First off, from his graph, he compares the $30 heatsinks to the SK6 (predecessor to the SLK-600, but I believe the only difference between the two are the fan clip mechanisms), which, as you pointed out, is no where near $80. In fact, the original SK6, without shipping, is $26. The SLK-600 is $38 without shipping (if you add shipping to that price, you'd have to add shipping to the AX-7/GIII for a fair comparison). Even adding an 80mm fan (which I hear you can ghetto-rig onto an SK-6 without an adapter, but not with an SLK-600) would push the price to what? $10 more for a grand total of 36/48 (SK-6/SLK-600)? Hardly $80 vs. $30. The Swifttech wasn't in the comparison. The article tried to debunk the idea of buying a high performance heatsink (in this case, the SK-6) and using a lower RPM fan because it's so much more expensive, which it really isn't. In fact, using specifically the SK-6 and not the newer SK-600, it's the same price (possibly lower if you buy a cheaper fan, like the ever popular Panaflo L1A for ~$4).

I didn't explain the fan thing very well. First off, what I meant by quality fans are ones with good CFM to dB ratio at low RPM, such as most Papst fans. The complete retail unit of the AX-7 comes with a high output delta. Obviously, that's a fan designed for pure CFM with no thought to noise. Now Thermalright advertises the AX-7 as being a heatsink "Minimized noise to performance ratio with low speed fan" (on their product page), yet they packaged it with the Delta. So I brought up the point of bringing in a different fan. That Delta used had a pretty good ratio, but unfortunately even 7-volted, it wasn't that quiet. 38dB for an office environment seems pretty high to me. I've heard most people tend to aim for at highest 35dB, usually 30dB. And that's total system sound, not just one fan. So a better comparison would've been with fans of much lower dB, where that Delta screamer could've even reach (possibly 5v would work, but it might still be too high). So the only choice is to buy a different fan. With something besides the 80mm Delta and readings taken at dB much lower (around the 21-26dB range), the comparison wouldn't be valid (unless you also stuck a GIII with a lower RPM fan or volt-modded it).

In terms of CFM/dB, 60mm fans are 0.8 CFM/dB or below, where as 80mm fans are usually 1.1 CFM/dB (1.1 is pretty pathetic, 1.2 is probably closer to average) and above. That's not even RPM at the same RPM, that's just efficienty ratio. Take for instance, the 60mm Delta EHE, 50.1CFM/54.5dB (8000RPM), one of the best 60mm fans in terms of CFM/dB ratio. Now take an 80mm Delta, 80.16 CFM @ 52.5 dBA (5700RPM, same as the graph). A little more than 5% difference there. I'd imagine 70mm fans fall somewhere inbetween.

Laughingman

Nov 21, 2000
wHOA!

Maybe the author misstitled the article. Forget the $80.00 issue. The point was with noise as a constant they had the same thermal performance for the same noise at normal noise levels.

If you look @ the 4/25/02: Thermalright SLK600 - Production Version It has the same thermal performance/noise ratio as the AX7 and the GII.......

That is very interesting by employing a constant and normalizing the data they are very similar in actual performance. your choice is now price features based. swiftech,alpha, AX7,GII as I expect they all would fall on the same point - Nature has a way of doing that.

for the original poster they would all work, take your pick I just like my GII over my AX7. Personal preference