What is that software that records midi music as you play it?

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
i remember there being some program that will literally write out the music as you feed it to the computer through a midi computer link.

any musicians in the house know what that software is?

stinkynathan

Oct 12, 2004
One of the versions of Finale will definately do it and probably Sibelius will also do it.

The free version of Finale, called Notepad, may or may not be able to do it. I have it installed but don't have a MIDI box for my S-80 so I can't tell you for sure. :(

Step-recording is definately the way to go though

nate

EDIT: nope, it doesn't look like Finale Notepad can do it. You'll probably have to buy one of the non-free version to do it. check >here<

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
Originally posted by: stinkynathan
One of the versions of Finale will definately do it and probably Sibelius will also do it.

The free version of Finale, called Notepad, may or may not be able to do it. I have it installed but don't have a MIDI box for my S-80 so I can't tell you for sure. :(

nate

EDIT: nope, it doesn't look like Finale Notepad can do it. You'll probably have to buy one of the non-free version to do it. check >here<

Finale is what all the professionals use, right?

stinkynathan

Oct 12, 2004
From what I've heard from other students in my degree (music ed) Finale is the industry standard for notation software.

nate

walla

Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: CitizenDoug
Originally posted by: stinkynathan

nate

Finale is what all the professionals use, right?

Finale is notation software, and is best if you want to produce music to be read and played by other people. It *can* literally write out sheet music as you play it, but this is not its primary purpose. The program can cost $300+

Sonar/Cakewalk (for example) is software that used for audio production and is probably more what you are looking for. That is something like $150+

And I'm sure there must be some simple software out there that is much cheaper (maybe free) that does simple midi recording and mixing.