What is normal DVD resolution?

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
I don't get it. What is the standard DVD resolution (like movies you would rent today)? Is it 720x480? If so, what happens with movies that are widescreen (which is most movies) in 16:9 aspect ratio? Is the movie actually an even lower resolution (720x405 which is 16:9) but with the extra pixels on the top and bottom just as black bands? I can't believe I can't find a clear answer to this ...

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I don't get it. What is the standard DVD resolution (like movies you would rent today)? Is it 720x480? If so, what happens with movies that are widescreen (which is most movies) in 16:9 aspect ratio? Is the movie actually an even lower resolution (720x405 which is 16:9) but with the extra pixels on the top and bottom just as black bands? I can't believe I can't find a clear answer to this ...

On most movies, the letterboxes aren't part of the actual data. A technique called anamorphic compression (wiki) is used so that there are always 480 vertical pixels and 720 horizontal pixels of actual image data. The resulting movie is then converted to the proper aspect by the DVD player. BTW, this is why upscaling DVD players work so well. There is actually 480 vertical pixels worth of data, but a standard TV just can display them. Increase the vertical resolution of the set, and suddenly you can display all of those extra pixels!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
you still lose some, films are generally not 16:9 but something higher.