What is next for FPS?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Dragon Age 2, agreed. DA2 is pretty much the most recent in terms of epitome of failures, coming from BioWare is extremely frustrating and depressing at the same time, I'm having a hard time looking at my Baldur's Gate 2, ME1 and DAO's boxes and thinking it's the same company (but not the same people, I guess) behind them all.

Diablo III... you've played an unreleased game? Nice, send me the copy please. Might end up good, or bad, or a bit of both, we can only speculate for now. On paper it's just a continuation of the events that occurred in Diablo II, and we don't want Diablo III to end up being a game filled up with too much "creativity", we want Diablo III to be a grind fest, that's what it'll be, and it'll be the best we can get for a decade to follow just as much as Diablo II is still the best hack 'n slash action RPG on the PC platform to this day a decade after its release, whether some like it or not.

StarCraft 2, has a better story continuation from its original narrative and events than most recent crap we've been forced to accept in the recent years, but I agree to a certain extent. Still, Blizzard did alright with it, in my opinion, it didn't need much creativity, it's StarCraft, fans of the franchise wanted it to play very similarly to the original, that's what they did, it was a working formula, why change it when it's working as is? Don't fix what ain't broken, go tell that to whoever is responsible for the atrocity called Command & Conquer 4 instead.

Mass Effect 3... you've played an unreleased game? Nice, send me the copy please. Might end up good, or bad, or a bit of both, we can only speculate for now (strange, feels like I said that already, must be something wrong with my head right now). Good for speculation right now. The advantage is that ME3's team isn't DA2's, thank the Lord for that. Still, it might end up bad, or good... whatever happens, I still think that it'll be better than most crap that's going to be released at around the same time.

Call of Duty series, agreed. Anything that followed CoD 2 sucked. Oh, look, it's about WW2 again, feels like déjà-vue, just a bit.

Battlefield 3, agreed, but necessary, no one wants to play a deep and complex single-player story-driven Battlefield 3 "with creativity", what creativity could we get in a Battlefield game anyway? Hovering tanks? Underwater combat? BF2142 is pretty much the only "creativity" you'll get from the BF franchise. That series is focused on story-less single-player action, keep that in mind and all of a sudden it makes sense. We almost all loved the original Unreal Tournament, it had a minimal amount of story line behind it, and its creativity consisted of being focused on multi-player action, but wait, Quake III Arena did just that before it, so much for creativity even back then huh? But did we care about it? No. Did most UT99 fans even KNEW about its back-story? No. Did we enjoy the multi-player? Hell yeah you bet we did.

Medal of Honor... what a pile of... anyway, yeah, WW2 stuff again, yay. Agreed.

The bottom line, in my book, is that not all franchises, not all series, not all new first-person-shooters "need" creativity or a "good" or "complex" story line spitting countless twists left and right. Some would need that, yes, some wouldn't. There's attempts at "being creative" in the genre but it often fails. I for one do not believe that there's much place for "creativity" anymore in the genera as a whole, since most of it was done already back years ago when it was still relatively new and new things could be done, tried, experimented, etc. Now it often feels like we've played this or that before, it's normal too, the creativity for the genre can't exactly fall from the sky like before.

The one game that I believe does have creativity as well as being a first-person game (though not "shooter" per se) happens to be Valve's Portal games. I for one did not enjoy Portal much, I liked Portal 2 better (oh, wait, I actually preferred a sequel?! How can such a thing be possible?! Fast! Someone burn me at the stakes!), and it's what I consider being "creative" myself in comparison to the fast-food style FPS games we've seen in recent years, but even though Portal and Portal 2 are creative in comparison to others does it mean that I think they are the absolute best FPS games out there even if just for their own era? No, not at all. In fact I still enjoy DOOM more than Portal 2, shocked? Maybe, but creativity doesn't mean it makes games "better than those without it".

Sounds like you didn't even read or hear anything after CoD2 (let alone play it), as that was pretty much the last one that had anything to do with WW2.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Sounds like you didn't even read or hear anything after CoD2 (let alone play it), as that was pretty much the last one that had anything to do with WW2.

Oh, yeah, forgot that the Call of Duty 3 I played was about World... oh wait, it was about World War II, yeah I didn't play that one, I made it up. Good try.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Oh, yeah, forgot that the Call of Duty 3 I played was about World... oh wait, it was about World War II, yeah I didn't play that one, I made it up. Good try.

You specifically said ANYTHING after CoD2. I don't know what to tell you... you were the one who said it, not me.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

CoD3 was console only, you just lost all credibility in this PC gaming forum :p

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
You specifically said ANYTHING after CoD2. I don't know what to tell you... you were the one who said it, not me.

True, I guess I didn't word it properly then? I apologize. What I meant is more like "all the CoD games I played after CoD2 sucked", there, better. And I never finished CoD3, because I got bored of it anyway (as a side note I don't mind it being a console-only game, it's still part of the CoD series), though I played it on the Wii. And CoD4... I prefer not talking about it.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
We get it! You don't like Doom 3,would you do everyone a favor and shut up already?

Uh, no. When game developers use outdated design, I think I am entitled to post my opinion just like everyone else.

And its not "just" doom 3, its also the doom 3 expansion resurrection of evil and quake 4. Even return to castle wolfenstein was dated.

Every ID game since Quake 2 has not kept up with current game design - with the exception of Quake III arena and Quake live. But Quake III and Quake live did not have a single player story plot.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Uh, no. When game developers use outdated design, I think I am entitled to post my opinion just like everyone else.

And its not "just" doom 3, its also the doom 3 expansion resurrection of evil and quake 4. Even return to castle wolfenstein was dated.

Every ID game since Quake 2 has not kept up with current game design - with the exception of Quake III arena and Quake live. But Quake III and Quake live did not have a single player story plot.
I never argued that Doom 3 wasn't outdated, it most certainly is. That however, is not a bad thing like you seem to so adamantly think, that is why I find your opinion insufferably misguided, and why I'm not going to discuss this with you any further.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Geez the conversations in this forum really suck nowadays. It's like a bunch of egotistical nerds having a slapfight over video games.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Geez the conversations in this forum really suck nowadays. It's like a bunch of egotistical nerds having a slapfight over video games.
Nowadays? Yeah, I'm sure no one disagreed about anything on a forum before recently.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

umm rtcw was insanely good.

Anneka

Jan 28, 2011
hahhaa what a nice game it would be where the final boss would be ossama :D:D:D

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
hahhaa what a nice game it would be where the final boss would be ossama :D:D:D

And when you reach his compound, you realize that he's already been dead 9 game-years ago, or before the game even started. GAME OVER! THE END! Lol.

/conspiracy theory
/another topic altogether