What is next for FPS?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
I would like to see a FPS based on the US war of independence. With playable British red coats.

Although I guess guns that take 1 minute to reload are probably not much fun.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Quake 5, please. Just as long as a) it's not consolized and b) isn't made by Raven.

I suspect the Quake series and probably the Doom series is dead.

Now that id Software has been bought by Bethesda, I look for a series of post-nuclear war games based on a new engine. Rage will probably be the first test of the new game design.

The fast is, ID software has been terrible at bringing anything new to the table. Where Valve and Bethesda have a variety of games, ID has been focused on the same thing for the past 15 years - find a key to open a door, backtrack, find pda or key, open door, backtrack, find key or pda, open door, backtrack,,,,, repeat.

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Duke Nukem Forever, just 6 weeks away!

ROFL.gif

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
The Quake series isn't necessarily dead - www.quakelive.com

We just need more players. :p
I have a pro account for Quake Live - it's pretty much the last bastion of twitch-based FPS for me. However, I do feel like it needs an overhaul in a number of respects - including the subscription service. The only reason I actually pay them top-dollar right now is to help keep the service afloat.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Doom 4 is coming out after Rage, but the likelihood of Doom being dead in spirit is still very high.

If doom 4 is anything like doom 3, the old school fans will probably loose faith in any new doom games.

After doom 3, I lost faith in ID software, and their being able to make a quality game. My lose of faith was further reinforced with the release of "Resurrection of Evil".

However, there is one glimmer of hope, and that is Bethesda quality control will be looking over the doom developers shoulder.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
If doom 4 is anything like doom 3, the old school fans will probably loose faith in any new doom games.

After doom 3, I lost faith in ID software, and their being able to make a quality game. My lose of faith was further reinforced with the release of "Resurrection of Evil".

However, there is one glimmer of hope, and that is Bethesda quality control will be looking over the doom developers shoulder.
How can you possibly knock Id for moving too far from their old school roots with Doom 3, and then praise Bethesda's quality control, and somehow think they will do old school right. Did you miss the part where Bethesda released the extremely dumbed down and streamlined Oblivion, and then the absolute slap in the face to old school classics that is Fallout 3? You expect them to help make Doom 4 please the old school fans? No offense, but you have to be completely nuts.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
I saw a recent Cracked article that said all the classic villains are dead. We need to find something genuinely new and it doesnt look like the industry is into "new" these days.

if you look at the news for the current "media enemy" that they want the population to be against, I think software pirates are in the top 10.

so that will be the new game's "big bad person" you are to take out/kill/set them straight.

Not seeing how that game will work out towards the younger generation though.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
if you look at the news for the current "media enemy" that they want the population to be against, I think software pirates are in the top 10.

so that will be the new game's "big bad person" you are to take out/kill/set them straight.

Not seeing how that game will work out towards the younger generation though.

No thats not what I meant.
The article was saying that IN video games, all the old villains are not politically correct any more. Nazi's are out. Zombies are old. Even aliens arent special any more. Arabs/Muslims were never acceptable and are also old at this point. Russians stopped being good villains a long time ago. World In Conflict used them up.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
How can you possibly knock Id for moving too far from their old school roots with Doom 3,

Its not moving away from old school doom, its the sorry job ID did on doom 3. Poor level design, weak weapons, staged events,,,,,,,,,.

What military base does not have duct tape to attach a light to a weapon?

The "back track to find the key/pda" types of games died out almost a decade ago. But ID seems to think its still alive.

Doom 3 is the only game I had to buy a manual for to get through the levels.

and then praise Bethesda's quality control, and somehow think they will do old school right.

Someone needs to help out with id quality control, because they dont seem to be able to get the job done.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Its not moving away from old school doom, its the sorry job ID did on doom 3. Poor level design, weak weapons, staged events,,,,,,,,,.

What military base does not have duct tape to attach a light to a weapon?

The "back track to find the key/pda" types of games died out almost a decade ago. But ID seems to think its still alive.

Doom 3 is the only game I had to buy a manual for to get through the levels.
You just didn't happen to like the game then, simple as that. There is no need to blame quality control or start pointless logic debates about tape, when games allow you to heal bullet wounds with little boxes or by simply ducking for cover. I really hate the COD series, but that doesn't mean they are terrible games, or that they need a new publisher to oversee development. They just aren't games made for me.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
You just didn't happen to like the game then, simple as that. There is no need to blame quality control or start pointless logic debates about tape, when games allow you to heal bullet wounds with little boxes or by simply ducking for cover. I really hate the COD series, but that doesn't mean they are terrible games, or that they need a new publisher to oversee development. They just aren't games made for me.

On that topic, regenerative health blows.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
On that topic, regenerative health blows.

I prefer it. It means you can't get in a situation where the game autosaves but you've only got 10% of your health left and no health packs, making it too hard to continue.

If a FPS is trying to be realistic having a health bar doesn't really make sense anyway. Operation Flashpoint had a pretty good system, no health bar but if you get shot in the head or chest and you're dead instantly, shot in the leg means you have to limp the rest of the level.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You just didn't happen to like the game then, simple as that. .

No, doom 3 was years behind the times in level design. Even though the game had great graphics, it still used the "find the key" level design.

If the level design would have been something like half-life, half-life 2, painkiller, metro2033, or even borderlands, then doom 3 would have been a much better game.

One of the issues with id software - they have not introduced anything new in the past 15+ years, their still trying to use an outdated game design. While other game developers are making semi-open world games, or linear games, id software uses the same design they did with the original doom.

I just hope Rage brings something new to the table.

reallyscrued

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2004
I prefer it. It means you can't get in a situation where the game autosaves but you've only got 10% of your health left and no health packs, making it too hard to continue.

If a FPS is trying to be realistic having a health bar doesn't really make sense anyway. Operation Flashpoint had a pretty good system, no health bar but if you get shot in the head or chest and you're dead instantly, shot in the leg means you have to limp the rest of the level.

Didn't mean anything about realism. Let's face it, when it comes to healing damaged wounds in the middle of a video game, there is no "realistic" solution.

Your complaint of autosaves during single player campaign is moot. Regenerative health in multiplayer FPSes is what bothers me. It completely changed the style of play to a game of chicken. Everyone here who misses arena type shooters would miss them a lot less if we just went back to a normal health system. And for the "realistic" tac-sims, just don't allow health to be regained. Who gets fixed up in the middle of a battlefield with a medkit and goes back in fighting after 30 seconds anyway? You got a bullet in you? Tough. Better snag some frags before you bleed out and die.

Not everyone will agree but at least make the 'hardcore' style of gameplay something closer to that.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Didn't mean anything about realism. Let's face it, when it comes to healing damaged wounds in the middle of a video game, there is no "realistic" solution.

Your complaint of autosaves during single player campaign is moot. Regenerative health in multiplayer FPSes is what bothers me. It completely changed the style of play to a game of chicken. Everyone here who misses arena type shooters would miss them a lot less if we just went back to a normal health system. And for the "realistic" tac-sims, just don't allow health to be regained. Who gets fixed up in the middle of a battlefield with a medkit and goes back in fighting after 30 seconds anyway? You got a bullet in you? Tough. Better snag some frags before you bleed out and die.

Not everyone will agree but at least make the 'hardcore' style of gameplay something closer to that.

BC2 has a hardcore mode that does that, does it not?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm hoping
1.) less consolized
2.) easier to mod and run modded servers ... like Quake or Half Life
3.) arcade style gameplay .... none of that realistic shit where your aim is less accurate when you're running.
4.) Rocket Jumping
5.) Free For All gameplay option. I'm sick and tired of having retarded teammates in games or playing against super elite teams.
6.) fast pace... fast running, highish jumping, fast reloading
7.) fun weapons .... how about something interesting or creative? Remember the shrink ray in Duke3d or the ice gun in Duke3d ....
8.) cooperative play option ... like Duke3d or Doom

I guess I'm asking for Quake 5 ..... as others have as well ...

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
At this point in time, I really don't think that the situation is based on a lack of twitch-shooters, but rather the casual gamer's interests based on graphics and accessibility.

Back then, you had your two crowds: Quake/ UT vs CS. Not to downplay CS at all, but many casual players I knew were really into it. I only knew one person that was into Quake (namely, 3), but he eventually sold his soul to WoW.

With that said, that same "casual' crowd seems to have moved on to the CoD 'wagon. Like Apple, it has become a fad of some sort; the COOL game to play, thus the dying breed of arena-style players.

Now we have a bunch of FREE, amateur-made games (Warsow, etc.), which seem to be dying a slow, painful death as well.

As much as I love BC2, my sanity from holding SPRINT down can only last so long. The art of movement and precision aiming will be soon forgotten, I'm afraid.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i just wish people would start playing Q2 CTF again :hmm:

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
No, doom 3 was years behind the times in level design. Even though the game had great graphics, it still used the "find the key" level design.
So? Lots of people like old school level design, and lots of people like old school games. There is nothing wrong with designing a game for an old school audience. Especially so when it's an extremely old franchise. You just seem to have a problem with other people enjoying things you don't understand, so please just let it go already.

DirkGently1

Mar 31, 2011
I'd like to see FPS games return to their earlier 'glory' days. The original MOH series was a blast to play and very polished. I especially enjoyed the MP which was simplicity itself. It seems as time has passed, games have been getting more and more derivitive, with less focus on core game mechanics and playability than there was ten years ago.