What is next for FPS?

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Spawned from a reddit thread. Since Osama is dead now, will they stop making shitty middle eastern FPS games?

What will they replace it with?

I want to kill Nazi's again.

Arsinek

Feb 9, 2010
Hmm. Well Im sort of over the WW2 thing. There would have to be some sort of spin for it to be interesting to me again, referring to game play not themes. Like I wouldnt want to just play more WW2 team death match.

Now a WW2 FPSMMO, Id be very interested in. I think Activision should buy Corned Rat and their game and make a new one.

Oct 30, 2004
What's next? I'm guessing increased consolization, pay-to-play, the end of private servers, and the end of any free custom content. It's a dying genre as far as I'm concerned, which is sad. The arena style genre of FPS is long since dead. (Good job of screwing the pooch on Unreal Tournament 3, Epic Games.)

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
How does this event have anything to do with increased consolization and the end of private servers? They still exist, and will continue to exist. There are still plenty of games with free custom content, you just need to dig harder. Understand that 80% of gamers will just keep eating what they are spoonfed, and nothing you say will have anything to do with it. If you want arena style shooters, go pug UT GotY edition. there are still a bunch of Pugs running.

I'm talking Genre.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Spawned from a reddit thread. Since Osama is dead now, will they stop making shitty middle eastern FPS games?

What will they replace it with?

I want to kill Nazi's again.

Maybe a FPS with Zombie Nazis with portal in the middle east .... COD :A New Threat

OBL dead doesn't mean the "War" on terror is over.
BlackOp sold pretty well so I don't see Activition/Infinity Ward is going to stop making more COD.

I am hoping Respawn Entertainment (old Infinity Ward) will come up with something new.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Maybe a FPS with Zombie Nazis with portal in the middle east .... COD :A New Threat

BlackOp sold pretty well so I don't see Activition/Infinity Ward is going to stop making more COD.

I am hoping Respawn Entertainment (old Infinity Ward) will come up with something new.

It means that game makers are going to have to start putting actual thought into their game development, rather than following their current model

1:give him an m4 with an EOTech holographic sight
2:place him in the middle east, give him a catchy nickname
3:???
4: Profit.

edit: I am also hoping they take another look at BF2142. That game had potential. Just terrible timing

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I saw a recent Cracked article that said all the classic villains are dead. We need to find something genuinely new and it doesnt look like the industry is into "new" these days.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I see us going back to text adventures. FPS sytle:

> look left
*You look to your left and see your teammate l33tsnip3r's head explode
>look right
*You look right and see a rocket from OMGBBQnewb blasting toward you
>run south
>run south
>run south
*Lag spike!
*IHATETHISGAME has been blown to bits by OMGBBQnewb's rocket!
*OMGBBQnewb to all: n00b, learn to type faster.

Last edited:

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
I saw a recent Cracked article that said all the classic villains are dead. We need to find something genuinely new and it doesnt look like the industry is into "new" these days.

I agree. Everything recently is lacking in creativity. The market is dominated with retarded sequels (DA2, Diablo 3, SC2, ME3), or games with the same plot summary (COD, even BF3, MoH). Not to say they aren't good games, it is just really lacking in the creativity department. I would say that is true for Hollywood too, all they have been doing is remaking old movies.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

I agree, 'terrorists' are going to be the villain of choice for awhile yet. There is just a large market for 'realistic' FPS games, where realistic is defined as fighting with modern weapons against an enemy that the US might actually target.

New is dangerous. Put out another CoD and you are pretty much guaranteed to make money, make a game that is new and different and you might create a new franchise that will last 10 years, or you might lose your shirt.

Personally, I would like to see more futuristic enemies and weapons. Let me fight aliens, or zombies, or monsters. Give me an arsenal of 30 weapons to fight with, and limit my choice of which ones to carry to just a handful. Let me choose if I want a 38 pistol or a pulse laser, a flame thrower or an assault rifle, a rail gun or landmines.

Borderlands did a decent job of this, and I think it paid off. Now others need to find a way to adapt this to other types of FPS games.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree. Everything recently is lacking in creativity. The market is dominated with retarded sequels (DA2, Diablo 3, SC2, ME3), or games with the same plot summary (COD, even BF3, MoH). Not to say they aren't good games, it is just really lacking in the creativity department. I would say that is true for Hollywood too, all they have been doing is remaking old movies.

Re..re...retarded sequels...?D:

HOW DARE YOU.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Hmm. Well Im sort of over the WW2 thing. There would have to be some sort of spin for it to be interesting to me again, referring to game play not themes. Like I wouldnt want to just play more WW2 team death match.

Now a WW2 FPSMMO, Id be very interested in. I think Activision should buy Corned Rat and their game and make a new one.

I have often advocated that there be a Battlefield version of WW2OL. I suppose COD could do it too. Wouldn't want to see killstreaks in it, but as long as SOMEBODY does it it would be great. Same campaign map, but faster paced gameplay and all the little things, like being able to jump in and out of tanks, not being forced to spawn AS a tank and die as a tank. Only instead of Europe maybe South America, fight from Rio to Buenos Aires or something. But same kind of campaign map.

Either way there isn't a good modern MMOFPS. There's only WW2, or future- like Planetside. I'm not aware of a good present day one.

Last edited:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I want more sci-fi shooters instead of so many modern day or ww2-style shooters. One of my most favorite shooters is PREY.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think FPS is becoming a part of some other genre like RPG. many RPG like fallout 3 already got the FPS elements inside. at first I dislike this fact but now I think I'm beginning to like it. Many other genre can incorporate FPS into their games.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
There is always zombies and post-nuclear war games that never seem to get old.

Personally, I think that games like Left 4 Dead and Brink are the future of pc games. Team based, co-op or versus style games set in an alternate reality. Kinda like counter-strike, but with a twist.

After Rage is released, I would like to see Valve software make a post-nuclear war style game, but based on something like left 4 dead. Instead of zombies, you have mutates created from radiation.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
There is always zombies and post-nuclear war games that never seem to get old.

Personally, I think that games like Left 4 Dead and Brink are the future of pc games. Team based, co-op or versus style games set in an alternate reality. Kinda like counter-strike, but with a twist.

After Rage is released, I would like to see Valve software make a post-nuclear war style game, but based on something like left 4 dead. Instead of zombies, you have mutates created from radiation.

you mean exactly like fallout?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I'd love to play a good shooter that didn't involve War or mutants/zombies/monsters of any kind. I like human vs. human combat, but not in the overdone warzone setting.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I want more sci-fi shooters instead of so many modern day or ww2-style shooters. One of my most favorite shooters is PREY.
Ever played Section 8? It's pretty great, also Section 8: Prejudice is coming out in just two days. I'm pretty excited for it.

Also: Brink.

many RPG like fallout 3 already got the FPS elements inside.
Err, yes... terrible, poorly-implemented FPS elements.

I'd love to play a good shooter that didn't involve War or mutants/zombies/monsters of any kind. I like human vs. human combat, but not in the overdone warzone setting.
Brink!

Personally, I think that games like Left 4 Dead and Brink are the future of pc games.
Thank you.