What is going on in our military?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Militaries ought to do a better job of screening out the people who take that too far, though. You want people who are dutiful, but not mindless drones (that's how you get the "just following orders" types who'd willingly commit atrocities) or power trippers.

I'm not sure we want much psychopathy in the armed forces. Yeah, to some extent you need to avoid being too sensitive (since you know the enemy is out to kill you), but you do want someone who can empathize with innocents and act out of compassion rather than cold logic.

Yeah, but regardless of your psychology going into it, there is no doubt it's going to change you as a person.

I was talking with a client of ours last week that is very much a military family. Her husband has and always will be in the military. Been to Afghan + Iraq multiple times. He is pretty much the top ranking that you can get for his position from what I gathered. The guy literally wont quit regardless of any money or retirement or anything. The only way he will stop is if they actively kick him out.

She said everytime he comes back it's always a hard adjustment - just imagine an environment every. single. day where everyone is under your command. They obey you, they are under your orders. Then you come home and a dickhead cuts you off while driving.

You definitely need to have a certain brain for that stuff - and either way I can't imagine how rough it is to adjust.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Yeah, but regardless of your psychology going into it, there is no doubt it's going to change you as a person.

I was talking with a client of ours last week that is very much a military family. Her husband has and always will be in the military. Been to Afghan + Iraq multiple times. He is pretty much the top ranking that you can get for his position from what I gathered. The guy literally wont quit regardless of any money or retirement or anything. The only way he will stop is if they actively kick him out.

She said everytime he comes back it's always a hard adjustment - just imagine an environment every. single. day where everyone is under your command. They obey you, they are under your orders. Then you come home and a dickhead cuts you off while driving.

You definitely need to have a certain brain for that stuff - and either way I can't imagine how rough it is to adjust.
From personal experience, you never fully adjust. I was only in for 6, worked with for 9, and after 4 years since then I still feel like I'm on the edge of tearing people a new one for doing stupid shit that they know they shouldn't be doing. Aside from that though, there's a whole pile of extra mental garbage that comes along with combat operations, which disassociates you even further from civilians.

Nov 8, 2012
From personal experience, you never fully adjust. I was only in for 6, worked with for 9, and after 4 years since then I still feel like I'm on the edge of tearing people a new one for doing stupid shit that they know they shouldn't be doing. Aside from that though, there's a whole pile of extra mental garbage that comes along with combat operations, which disassociates you even further from civilians.

I bet. Her (the wife) main message was what probably worked best for him was going to things like wounded warriors, because no one else could possibly understand his mental conditions, experiences, etc... to relate.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Expecting a segment of the general public to be different than other segments of the general public is a bit naive.

A segment that goes through a rigorous selection process to weed out troublemakers should hopefully be a bit different than the general, unsorted, population.