What is comparable to the 4th Gen Intel i7 4770K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Currently equal to? Depends on your metric. With inflation, the Ryzen 3800X is the same price. Just a lot more capable. Back then the 4770K was an enthusiasts chip. Not HEDT. Though now the 3800X can do quite well at some HEDT as well.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
I guess I am asking in terms of the 9th Gen Intel and , maybe, even the AMD line. Of course I've never dealt with AMD for CPU before and that would be a wild first for me. My current system is five, maybe six, years old with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard and 16GB of DDR3, GTX 1060 3GB and I don't PC game.

Surprisingly, my wife has an almost identically built system except with an i5 of the same generation and using embedded graphics on the same board, SSD, RAM, case, etc. and I can tell a performance difference.

I know I am using a four core, eight thread CPU and something like the 9700K would be 8/8 but I am not sure that I would notice the difference in performance by building a new system. I don't plan on using m.2, or embedded wireless, and I usually keep the case open as I frequently switch between SSDs to boot into various operating systems.

When I look at comparative websites it seems that the 4770K seems to be holding its own over time--still cannot believe its been 5-6 years.

What O/S are you using?

If you want to stay with Win 7, I'm not sure if the latest CPU's from either side, support Win 7.

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
around that level but the Zen "APUs" are a little slower than regular Ryzen because of the smaller l3 cache, and the 4770K can OC more, so I think the 4770K is superior

I'd point out the 2400G has DDR4, newer platform features, better multi-thread scaling(SMT), not as many security vulnerabilities, is much cheaper, and has a much better iGPU.

again, to answer the OP's title academically, they are comparable.

Nov 20, 2009
All, I use the run of the mill litter of browsers, office software, multimedia, etc., and the occasional PS5/LR stuff. I also play with operating systems. I do my official personal business in Windows 7 Pro 64, but I play outside of the proverbial sandbox in Linux, Hackintosh, etc. by unplugging/plugging in dedicated boot SSDs. I really need to test Office 2007 under WINE in Linux and just give up on Adobe ever making a Linux port of PS/LR.