What is causing these video problems?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I bought a 8800GT like 6 months ago and started having problems with video freezing and crashing the computer (blue screen even), mouse and key board freezes and I have to press reset.

I found a work around, I turn down the memory bus using nTune and then play a game.

Eventually I rebuilt my whole computer, E8400 duo core, 2x1 gig reaper ram, and a Striker II mobo.

I still had the video problem but then it started happening with You Tube and Video Podcasts so I went out today and bought a 8800GTS 512mb... and I am still have the problem!. I couldn't effing believe it. I tested a couple games and they were fine but then it froze on You Tube...

Could a weak Power Supply be the problem? I am using an Antec 550W.. maybe 3 years old.

This is what it looks like on my monitor, I had to take a pic because the whole thing freezes and eventually goes blue screen

akhilles

Nov 6, 2007
Yes, the psu could be dying. Clear cmos, load bios defaults, google & run memtest for 1-5 passes, and 3dmark in a loop for 8 hours.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Originally posted by: akhilles
Yes, the psu could be dying. Clear cmos, load bios defaults, google & run memtest for 1-5 passes, and 3dmark in a loop for 8 hours.

The thing is, this problem started when I bought a 8800GT to play Crysis. Since then, I've changed operating Systems, from Xp pro to Vista I've gutted and upgraded the rest of my computer with very high end parts, new mobo, ram and cpu but I kept the same PSU. The problem with the 8800GT stayed so finally when it started freezing my computer with podcasts and you tube as well, I bought a new high end video card, a 8800GTS 512mb.

Now, even though gaming seems fine (though it does flicker here and there) with the new video card actually crashed while I was watching You Tube on full screen mode.

I basically have a brand new computer now, New video card, mobo, ram and cpu the only thing that is the same is that power supply.

I have two monitors (one is a crt) and two WD hard drives, 4 case fans and the hard ware, would this be too much for a 550 watt PSU? or would it be dying?

akhilles

Nov 6, 2007
I thought I said dying. Yup, it could be, but you're not overloading the psu. My overclocker pc uses up to 220w-ish. Granted, I don't have a gaming gpu.

Was it a fresh windows install? Could be a problem.

You can also try this card in a friend's pc.