What is BOINC?

compudog

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2001
I don't check out the DC forum too often, but I do like to look at the stats. What is this BOINC project that is replacing SETI and when will this happen?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
BOINC is the "next gen" of the Seti application. It will be a central client for many different projects, and allow you to specify how much CPU time goes to what projects etc. It is a very good way to get lots of projects together in one, (hopefully) simple to use, client and will hopefully allow caching of work etc, and hopefully will cut down on a number of methods of cheating.

Confused

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Hold on... I thought BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) wasn't SETI itself, but was the structure within which the SETI project was going to be run; other projects could theoretically be run within the same structure as well. Anyway, let's hope that it's as good in the aspect of configurability as the RC5-72 client is (that thing has every option you could ever hope for / dream of, and more; its flexibility is the only reason at all I run it on my work computer).

Spleenus

Mar 25, 2002
Originally posted by: jliechty
Hold on... I thought BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) wasn't SETI itself, but was the structure within which the SETI project was going to be run; other projects could theoretically be run within the same structure as well.
Didn't Confused say that?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Spleenus
Hold on... I thought BOINC (Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing) wasn't SETI itself, but was the structure within which the SETI project was going to be run; other projects could theoretically be run within the same structure as well.
"BOINC is the "next gen" of the Seti application..."

Sorry, I'm being too picky, I guess. ;)

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Spleenus
"BOINC is the "next gen" of the Seti application..."

Sorry, I'm being too picky, I guess. ;)

Well...i did kinda mean that it will more than likely be released when Seti2 is released, so they'll probably be synonamous with one another :) I suppose we're both right, in a way ;)

Confused