what is a reliable 'news' source in this forum

laFiera

May 12, 2001
As I read the interesting posts in these forums, what I have noticed the most is that somebody brings a news article from whatever source they got their news from, and somebody else will rebutt it with either "that's a leftist/rightist source, questionable news source, you're dumb if you get your news from such and such..." and it goes on and on....

For any argument is easy to say that news source is not reliable or it follows an agenda...so then....what is a neutral source for the fellow posters here?

Of course, I'll just say that the left and right are an illusion created to keep the dumb factor at a high level, but hell, I don't have any news sources to back that!!! ;)

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
to me its mostly bbc, reuters, ap and afp that are highly dependable

some that are famous for not being dependandable and just utter crap are newsmax and all special interest "news sites"... which newsmax basicly is

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
It's a tough call, i think there are many un-biased news sources out there. But un-biased commentary is difficult. Most of the people here post op-ed's and personal views or cases by people with similar views to them. This is where you get the right and left bias from.

Most major news outlets are good for relatively un-biased news, of course they can be open for interpretation and spin.

I'd say Reuters, BBC, CBC are good places to start.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Strictly speaking, one shouldn't attack a source. It's a form of ad hominem.

HOWEVER, we have limited time to investigate each claim. I think it's fair to have doubts if it comes from conspiracytheories.com.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Wikipedia, CNN, BBC, USA Today.... the big names not random sites.

irwincur

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
The problem is there are not many news reports left. A decade ago a report meant the facts and that it is. Today, most reports are nothing more than thinly vailed OpEd pieces. Some of the major wires have decent reports still, but they are definitely endangered.

So in short, there are probably only a handful of unbiased news reports every day. All of the other thousands of rehashes do nothing but add unecessary crap. If you can get the first report off the wire, I would suspect that you would have an unbiased report. Anything else is dilluted crap.

This goes for both sides. Which is why I am personally in favor of battling with ideas and opinions not using the unreliable media as a pillar of my argument.

laFiera

May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: laFiera
Topic Title: what is a reliable 'news' source in this forum

God, according to the Religious Republicans and he speaks to them including the President.
i thought god was a conspiracy theory.... :)

what about the site the website www.fair.org
is that a questionable site?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Irwincur, what un-biased news sources do you go to?, this is what the OP is asking.